yet more Rocket vs Rex stuff.......

I recently did a *brief* test ride on a V-Rex and a Rocket.
Loved the Rocket, but not the Rex. Most of what I've read
over the years here has indicated they should be very close.
The Rex slightly smoother, the Rocket slightly more lively.
Would the fact that the Rex was the XL version-----resulting
in positioning the seat further forward-------explain the
difference ? ( The Rocket also shifted better but I figure
that was just the set-up ).

Would the fact that the Rex was the XL version-----resulting
in positioning the seat further forward-------explain the
difference ?
<<

Very likely. The longer frame would have more inertia in motion, and thus
reduced response; and the positive flip side of that is greater smoothness.
Seat position less over the back wheel would also probably produce greater
shock absorption.

Greg D

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I recently did a *brief* test ride on a V-Rex and a Rocket.
> Loved the Rocket, but not the Rex. Most of what I've read
> over the years here has indicated they should be very close.
> The Rex slightly smoother, the Rocket slightly more lively.
> Would the fact that the Rex was the XL version-----resulting
> in positioning the seat further forward-------explain the
> difference ? ( The Rocket also shifted better but I figure
> that was just the set-up ).

Another thing to consider is that with a larger frame, you will be
centered between the wheels a bit better, more to the point, have more
weight over the front. Better weight distribution will probably
result in better handling and braking.

I had a bad crash riding a bent too small for me when the front wheel,
unloaded because I was on top of the rear wheel, caught a bad bit of
pavement and went airborne. There was no weight the keep the front
wheel down, so I had a unicycle and ultimately the bike ended on top
of me...

But even on my Corsa, I have had the front wheel get light because
even with the large frame, I am way back over the rear wheel.

MikeE

Kappo50 wrote:

> I recently did a *brief* test ride on a V-Rex and a Rocket.
> Loved the Rocket, but not the Rex.

That was my experience, too. The seating position on the Rex seemed too
high and upright compared to that of the Rocket, and the Rocket seemed
to track a line much more precisely than the Rex.

Having owned both a Rocket and a VRex and ridden them both many
thousands of miles, I can tell you that the VRex is much more
comfortable on long rides. I found the Rocket to have very twitchy
steering; the VRex handles better for me. On the other hand, I really
liked the responsiveness of the Rocket. When you feel like kickin' it
in and accelerating, the Rocket is there immediately while the extra
mass of the VRex seems to take a bit longer to get moving...

Steve

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I recently did a *brief* test ride on a V-Rex and a Rocket.
> Loved the Rocket, but not the Rex. Most of what I've read
> over the years here has indicated they should be very close.
> The Rex slightly smoother, the Rocket slightly more lively.
> Would the fact that the Rex was the XL version-----resulting
> in positioning the seat further forward-------explain the
> difference ? ( The Rocket also shifted better but I figure
> that was just the set-up ).

In 2001 I had the same dilemma - and purchased a VRex because it had better
front shifting, a smoother ride, more useful gearing for local hills and
less overall chatter. Also, thought it was more amenable to full size
panniers and did not like how clse the rear derailleur got to the back wheel
on the Rocket. 10K miles later I don't regret it a bit.
Regards-
Jon Shinefeld
Philadelphia, PA