Yikes ! High Cholesterol - Help !

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Blewyn, Mar 6, 2004.

  1. Blewyn

    Blewyn Guest

    I just got the results of my 1st ever cholesterol test :

    HDL - 42.46 = 1.1mmol/L
    Cholesterol - 228.33 = 5.9mmol/L
    LDL - 167.1 = 4.33mmol/L
    Glucose normal

    These numbers apparently put me in 'borderline' categories for HDL and
    Cholesterol, and 'high risk' for LDL. I'm a caucasian male 34 years
    old.

    Any dietary advice ?

    Thanks,

    Blewyn

    Tags:

  2. markd

    markd Guest

    Does it put you into metabolic syndrom risk is the better
    question. This is often preceeded by high insulin
    resistence. A thumb nail measure of this is the lipid
    profile, including the triglyceride number you didn't
    provide. A ratio of trig/hdl of 3 or less is a good number.
    A trig higher then 150 is cause for concern. What was your
    blood glucose number?

    >I just got the results of my 1st ever cholesterol test :
    >
    >HDL - 42.46 = 1.1mmol/L Cholesterol - 228.33 = 5.9mmol/L
    >LDL - 167.1 = 4.33mmol/L Glucose normal
    >
    >These numbers apparently put me in 'borderline' categories
    >for HDL and Cholesterol, and 'high risk' for LDL. I'm a
    >caucasian male 34 years old.
    >
    >Any dietary advice ?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Blewyn

  3. Susan

    Susan Guest

    x-no-archive: yes

    >Any dietary advice ?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Blewyn

    You don't report TGLs here. If you're eating starches and
    other sugars regularly, you might try cutting them down
    or out, replacing them with veggies and greens and
    healthy fats.

    Susan

  4. [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] Once
    upon a time, our fellow [email protected] rambled on about
    "Re: Yikes ! High Cholesterol - Help !." Our champion De-
    Medicalizing in sci.med.nutrition retorts, thusly ...

    >Does it put you into metabolic syndrom risk is the better
    >question. This is often preceeded by high insulin
    >resistence. A thumb nail measure of this is the lipid
    >profile, including the triglyceride number you didn't
    >provide. A ratio of trig/hdl of 3 or less is a good number.
    >A trig higher then 150 is cause for concern. What was your
    >blood glucose number?

    Excuse me, Mark 'the Toad,' but the question was diet.

    Just thought that you might want to know. :)

  5. Blewyn

    Blewyn Guest

    > Does it put you into metabolic syndrom risk is the better
    > question. This is often preceeded by high insulin
    > resistence. A thumb nail measure of this is the lipid
    > profile, including the triglyceride number you didn't
    > provide. A ratio of trig/hdl of 3 or less is a good
    > number. A trig higher then 150 is cause for concern. What
    > was your blood glucose number?

    Trig = 92.4 Glucose = 83.6

    Thanks,

    Blewyn

  6. Ed Friedman

    Ed Friedman Guest

    You should check out the info at:

    http://www.thelifestyledoctor.net/policosanolabstracts/

    Personally, my cholesterol dropped 10% after taking
    policosanol.

    Ed Friedman