yippee, I'm (gonna be) a cycle-commuter again

Tom Keats

Guest
Late last February I signed-on with another employment/placement
agency. They sent me out to this warehouse located in the Forgotten
Wastelands (east Richmond, BC -- @ No. 8 Road and where Blundell
Road would be. Hbc Logistics, to be precise.)

When I signed on, during the interview the matter of my un-driver-ness
came up. My employer asked me how I expected to get there; I suggested
cycling. She expressed serious doubts as to the viability of that
approach, and insisted I hook up with another employee to get a
car-pooling ride part of the way, with me taking public transit to get
to the meeting point with the guy who drives. So, fool that I am, I
heeded her Fear, Uncertainty & Doubt, and it's been costing me between
$22.50 and $32.50 per week in carfare and gasoline stipends. When
talking to other folks about the feasability of riding to work, I've
been getting the same pessimism.

Yesterday, my ride found another job, apparently leaving me high & dry
transportation-wise. So today, just for laffs and a change of scenery,
I rode to the job site. Y'know what? No sweat! Piece o' cake. In
fact, the ride was a little boringingly unchallenging. The first third
is just bombing down Vancouver's South Hill, to the brief ugliness of
crossing the Knight Street bridge. The other two thirds are on flat,
quiet roads (Jacombs Road going to the destination, and No. 6 Road
coming back) and the shared pathway that used to be the Westminster
Highway. After looking at the map I determined it's a mere 8-miler,
one way -- from Main & 41st in Vancouver to No. 8 Road & Blundell
in Ditchmond. Actually, the ride was fairly pleasant, and punctuated
with sightings of wild mallards and wring-neck pheasants, and short,
little April sprinkles of precipitation that didn't get me wet but
refreshingly cooled me off a little.

Don't listen to non-riders' opinions about the do-ability of riding
to places. But I allow much of their concern is because the ride
into work would be at night. It seems a lot of folks don't believe
cycling can be safely done at night.

Anyways, it feels good to be transportationally independent again,
and I'm looking forward to my ride to work tomorrow night. I'm
good-naturedly trying not to rue the time & money I've wasted
because I let people convince me that I have to get to work by
car. Whadda momentary lapse of reason on my part. But I'm prone
to those :)

In the meantime, I'm gonna get some fresh AA cells for my blinkie
and my Planet Bike Beamer-3. And maybe a reflective vest. The
generator lights are still functioning well, as per usual.

The ride home in the morning after work is likely going to be
the tough part. Especially the crawl back up the South Hill
after a shift of hand-bombing heavy freight. But the job site
has a Coke machine in the lunch room, so I can snag a can of
Coke on the way out. And maybe a Coffee Crisp.

I don't have to worry 'bout suits 'n ties & sweatin', so I
can ride to work in my work clothes :p

And good riddance to crowded buses and SkyTrain, and freezing
my ass off, standing around at the 22nd St. Station while
waiting for my ride into work.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 19:53:03 -0700, [email protected]l (Tom
Keats) wrote, in part:

>Anyways, it feels good to be transportationally independent again,
>and I'm looking forward to my ride to work tomorrow night. I'm
>good-naturedly trying not to rue the time & money I've wasted
>because I let people convince me that I have to get to work by
>car. Whadda momentary lapse of reason on my part. But I'm prone
>to those :)

YEEEE! HAAAWWW!
Having to wait is what kills public transit for me.

Myself, being a driver, I might have been more sensitive than you to
my co-workers driving habits and have possibly refused riding with
them long ago.
--
zk

In article <[email protected]>,
Zoot Katz <[email protected]> writes:
> On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 19:53:03 -0700, [email protected]l (Tom
> Keats) wrote, in part:
>
>>Anyways, it feels good to be transportationally independent again,
>>and I'm looking forward to my ride to work tomorrow night. I'm
>>good-naturedly trying not to rue the time & money I've wasted
>>because I let people convince me that I have to get to work by
>>car. Whadda momentary lapse of reason on my part. But I'm prone
>>to those :)

> YEEEE! HAAAWWW!
> Having to wait is what kills public transit for me.

It was /so/ wrong for me to listen to the advice of non-riders.
Having to wait for public transit, and then having to wait for
a car-pool driver becomes extra tedious. But the claustrophobia
of crammed buses is really what gets me.

> Myself, being a driver, I might have been more sensitive than you to
> my co-workers driving habits and have possibly refused riding with
> them long ago.

At one point we didn't make it into work, because my driver
got pulled over for having an expired insurance sticker on
his license plate (it had just expired the day before; since
ICBC does the automatic bank thing, he assumed they'd notify
him when repayment was due. He got towed, and I went home.)

In all honesty, I didn't mind getting the night off.
But he is a good driver - I've gotta give him that.

It always felt kind of stoopid going all the way out to
New Westminster just to double back into Richmond.
Paying carfare to do that just rubbed salt into the wound.

The bike ride to work takes about 3/4s the time of my
old bus/SkyTrain/car ride regime. Maybe on the ride home
I can take advantage of that Ikea $1 breakfast (if that's
still happening.)

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

In article <[email protected]>, Tom Keats
<[email protected]> wrote:

> The ride home in the morning after work is likely going to be
> the tough part. Especially the crawl back up the South Hill
> after a shift of hand-bombing heavy freight. But the job site
> has a Coke machine in the lunch room, so I can snag a can of
> Coke on the way out. And maybe a Coffee Crisp.

Avoid fuelling up on junk. I work shifts also, and know the
difficulties of ordering up a meal at odd hours. Best that you develop
the habit of packing what food, it makes a real difference in how well
you feel post commute. Preparing multiple days' worth of snacks and
lunches cuts down on preparation time. Is a fridge available at the
warehouse?

Luke

In article <090420060117260451%[email protected]>,
Luke <[email protected]> writes:
> In article <[email protected]>, Tom Keats
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> The ride home in the morning after work is likely going to be
>> the tough part. Especially the crawl back up the South Hill
>> after a shift of hand-bombing heavy freight. But the job site
>> has a Coke machine in the lunch room, so I can snag a can of
>> Coke on the way out. And maybe a Coffee Crisp.

> Avoid fuelling up on junk.

A can of Coke works for me, when I'm depleted from a hard
day's/night's work and I've just got to make it home afterwards.
A couple of donuts can help, too.

> I work shifts also, and know the
> difficulties of ordering up a meal at odd hours. Best that you develop
> the habit of packing what food, it makes a real difference in how well
> you feel post commute.

I eat before work, and after work, but not during work. Eating during
a shift just makes me logy. Staying a little hungry during work
keeps me spry.

> Preparing multiple days' worth of snacks and
> lunches cuts down on preparation time. Is a fridge available at the
> warehouse?

Yes, there are fridges. But I don't need 'em.

I guess my eating/fueling habits might seem unorthodox, but so
is my physicality. At 53 y.o. and 5'11", I weigh 155 lbs with
my steel-toed boots on. No probs w/ hypertension or cholesterol
or diabetes. I'm savvy enough about balancing my diet, getting
my proper nutrients, and talented enough to make them taste good.
I can afford to consume a little "junk" now & then. Sometimes
a can o' Coke is just the ticket.

cheers,
Tom

--

[email protected] writes:
> Congrat's.
> Tell me, if your potential employer insisted you not wear a helmet,
> would you agree?

Sure, as long as they pay the fine if I get busted for
riding without wearing a helmet.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

> Congratultions,
> I'm curious if your potential employer had asked you not to wear a
> helmet would you agree?

PROVOCATEUR!

"Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] writes:
>> Congrat's.
>> Tell me, if your potential employer insisted you not wear a helmet,
>> would you agree?

> Sure, as long as they pay the fine if I get busted for
> riding without wearing a helmet.

Tom Keats is law breaker. That is because he is a dumb working class slob on
the docks of Vancouver (Canada). Laws are for others, not for him. He is
nothing but a criminal. I wish I were in Vancouver so I could report him to
the police. I good long stay in prison would cure him of his infantile "I am
above the law" working class fantasies.

Why is he posting to BC? I thought that group had died and gone to hell long
ago. Or is Tom Keats the despicable DiscoDuck (DD) who monopolizes BC and is
the most notorious scofflaw ever to come along in the entire history of
Usenet. He breaks the laws with nary a concern and even encourages others to
break the laws. My contempt for such types is boundless!

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Edward Dolan wrote:
> "Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > [email protected] writes:
> >> Congrat's.
> >> Tell me, if your potential employer insisted you not wear a helmet,
> >> would you agree?

> > Sure, as long as they pay the fine if I get busted for
> > riding without wearing a helmet.

> Tom Keats is law breaker. That is because he is a dumb working class slob on
> the docks of Vancouver (Canada). Laws are for others, not for him. He is
> nothing but a criminal. I wish I were in Vancouver so I could report him to
> the police.

You can. It's easy to find the Vancouver police using google. But the
police here don't care about that law (most of them, anyway).
As a matter of fact yesterday, I saw three police officers helpfully
offering directions to a bare headed cyclist. Thankfully they
recognized they weren't hurting anybody.

> I good long stay in prison would cure him of his infantile "I am
> above the law" working class fantasies.

No, it wouldn't. Because I AM ABOVE THAT LAW.
Just like the police are above many laws (recent rash of beatings of
civilians, speeding, parking illegally).
Just like our politicians are above many laws.

> Why is he posting to BC? I thought that group had died and gone to hell long
> ago. Or is Tom Keats the despicable DiscoDuck (DD) who monopolizes BC and is
> the most notorious scofflaw ever to come along in the entire history of
> Usenet. He breaks the laws with nary a concern and even encourages others to
> break the laws. My contempt for such types is boundless!

As is my contempt for you.

> Regards,
>
> Ed Dolan the fruitcake- Minnesota

> Tom Keats is law breaker. That is because he is a dumb working class slob on
> the docks of Vancouver (Canada). Laws are for others, not for him. He is
> nothing but a criminal. I wish I were in Vancouver so I could report him to
> the police.

You can. It's easy to find the Vancouver police using google. But the

police here don't care about that law (most of them, anyway).
As a matter of fact yesterday, I saw three police officers helpfully
offering directions to a bare headed cyclist. Thankfully they
recognized they weren't hurting anybody.

> I good long stay in prison would cure him of his infantile "I am
> above the law" working class fantasies.

No, it wouldn't. Because I AM ABOVE THAT LAW.
Just like the police are above many laws (recent rash of beatings of
civilians, speeding, parking illegally).
Just like our politicians are above many laws.

> Why is he posting to BC? I thought that group had died and gone to hell long
> ago. Or is Tom Keats the despicable DiscoDuck (DD) who monopolizes BC and is
> the most notorious scofflaw ever to come along in the entire history of
> Usenet. He breaks the laws with nary a concern and even encourages others to
> break the laws. My contempt for such types is boundless!

As is my contempt for you. Hunt me down, edward. Lets see who is
stronger.

> Ed Dolan the fruitcake - Minnesota

"DiscoDuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>> Tom Keats is law breaker. That is because he is a dumb working class slob
>> on
>> the docks of Vancouver (Canada). Laws are for others, not for him. He is
>> nothing but a criminal. I wish I were in Vancouver so I could report him
>> the police.

> You can. It's easy to find the Vancouver police using google. But the
> police here don't care about that law (most of them, anyway).
> As a matter of fact yesterday, I saw three police officers helpfully
> offering directions to a bare headed cyclist. Thankfully they
> recognized they weren't hurting anybody.
>
>> I good long stay in prison would cure him of his infantile "I am
>> above the law" working class fantasies.

> No, it wouldn't. Because I AM ABOVE THAT LAW.
> Just like the police are above many laws (recent rash of beatings of
> civilians, speeding, parking illegally).
> Just like our politicians are above many laws.

Laws are there for a good reason or they aren't. If they aren't, then they
ought to be repealed. To have laws on the books that are not being observed
brings nothing but contempt for all law. If I were a policeman in Vancouver,
I would take you into custody, after giving you a good clubbing of course.

>> Why is he posting to BC? I thought that group had died and gone to hell
>> long
>> ago. Or is Tom Keats the despicable DiscoDuck (DD) who monopolizes BC and
>> is
>> the most notorious scofflaw ever to come along in the entire history of
>> Usenet. He breaks the laws with nary a concern and even encourages others
>> break the laws. My contempt for such types is boundless!

> As is my contempt for you. Hunt me down, edward. Lets see who is
> stronger.

It must be nice to have your own little cycling newsgroup there in BC where
you can pontificate like the jackass that you are. You should get together
with Tom Keats, also of Vancouver. He is another nut like you and the two of
you could make beautiful music together.

By the way, I wouldn't be caught dead in Vancouver or soggy old Victoria
either. You have got to have water on the brain to live in a pest hole like
British Columbia. Why the hell don't you move to Seattle where the police
there would teach you some respect for the laws, you confounded criminal.

Edward Dolan wrote:
> Laws are there for a good reason or they aren't. If they aren't, then they
> ought to be repealed.

Law are seldom (if ever) repealed. But yes, the helmet one should be.

> To have laws on the books that are not being observed
> brings nothing but contempt for all law.

Wrong again. The things stopping me from murder, rape and theft is NOT
the fact it is illegal. It's the fact my conscious prohibits doing
such acts.

But again you're correct. Such laws do bring down the credibility of
the law, its enforcement and the politicians that pass them.

> If I were a policeman in Vancouver,
> I would take you into custody, after giving you a good clubbing of course.

No you wouldn't, You're too chicken. Clubbing is against the law.

> It must be nice to have your own little cycling newsgroup there in BC where
> you can pontificate like the jackass that you are. You should get together
> with Tom Keats, also of Vancouver. He is another nut like you and the two of
> you could make beautiful music together.

You are the one that states all laws must be obeyed and you're calling
US nuts?

> By the way, I wouldn't be caught dead in Vancouver or soggy old Victoria
> either. You have got to have water on the brain to live in a pest hole like
> British Columbia. Why the hell don't you move to Seattle where the police
> there would teach you some respect for the laws, you confounded criminal.

IT really hurts my feelings when you call me names.
I spend lots of time bareheaded time in Seattle and so far the police
have elected not to teach me anything. Why, are bicycle helmets there
manditory?

> Regards,
>
> Ed Dolan the Goof- Minnesota
> aka
> Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota

"DiscoDuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]
>> By the way, I wouldn't be caught dead in Vancouver or soggy old Victoria
>> either. You have got to have water on the brain to live in a pest hole
>> like
>> British Columbia. Why the hell don't you move to Seattle where the police
>> there would teach you some respect for the laws, you confounded criminal.

> IT really hurts my feelings when you call me names.
> I spend lots of time bareheaded time in Seattle and so far the police
> have elected not to teach me anything. Why, are bicycle helmets there
> manditory?

How the hell would I know? But If I were cycling anywhere I would make damn
sure I was obeying whatever laws were in force and I would not be blabbing
all over Usenet like an idiot how it is OK not to obey some laws. You are
nothing but a scofflaw, not fit to live in a civilized society.

If you don't want to be called names, then get to be a law-abiding citizen.
Leave the law-breaking to the hoodlums and the other human scum that infest
every large city in North America.

Edward Dolan wrote:
> "DiscoDuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Edward Dolan wrote:

> [...]
> >> By the way, I wouldn't be caught dead in Vancouver or soggy old Victoria
> >> either. You have got to have water on the brain to live in a pest hole
> >> like
> >> British Columbia. Why the hell don't you move to Seattle where the police
> >> there would teach you some respect for the laws, you confounded criminal.

> > IT really hurts my feelings when you call me names.
> > I spend lots of time bareheaded time in Seattle and so far the police
> > have elected not to teach me anything. Why, are bicycle helmets there
> > manditory?

> How the hell would I know? But If I were cycling anywhere I would make damn
> sure I was obeying whatever laws were in force and I would not be blabbing
> all over Usenet like an idiot how it is OK not to obey some laws.

Well it is OK so too bad. I'm going to go out and break that same law
again just to **** you off, right now.

> You are
> nothing but a scofflaw, not fit to live in a civilized society.

Making someone wear a helmet when they don't want to, is not civilized.

> If you don't want to be called names, then get to be a law-abiding citizen.
> Leave the law-breaking to the hoodlums and the other human scum that infest
> every large city in North America.

Sorry, let me finish weeping. (sniff sniff). There. You were saying,
Fruitcake?

Regards,

Ed Dolan the nutbar- Minnesota
> aka
> Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota

"DiscoDuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Edward Dolan wrote:
>> "DiscoDuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> >
>> > Edward Dolan wrote:

>> [...]
>> >
>> > IT really hurts my feelings when you call me names.
>> > I spend lots of time bareheaded time in Seattle and so far the police
>> > have elected not to teach me anything. Why, are bicycle helmets there
>> > manditory?

>> How the hell would I know? But If I were cycling anywhere I would make
>> damn
>> sure I was obeying whatever laws were in force and I would not be
>> blabbing
>> all over Usenet like an idiot how it is OK not to obey some laws.

> Well it is OK so too bad. I'm going to go out and break that same law
> again just to **** you off, right now.

You are going to get knocked off of your bike by a motor vehicle and land on
your stupid head - and it will serve you right!

>> You are
>> nothing but a scofflaw, not fit to live in a civilized society.

> Making someone wear a helmet when they don't want to, is not civilized.

If you do not like the law, then work to get it changed. It is evil to break
the law, but it is an even greater evil to advocate that others do so. You
are not an ordinary scum bag, but a truly evil scum bag.

>> If you don't want to be called names, then get to be a law-abiding
>> citizen.
>> Leave the law-breaking to the hoodlums and the other human scum that
>> infest
>> every large city in North America.

> Sorry, let me finish weeping. (sniff sniff). There. You were saying,
> Fruitcake?

I am saying that you are human scum yourself. Learn to read between the
lines why don't you?

Edward Dolan wrote:
> "DiscoDuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Edward Dolan wrote:
> >> "DiscoDuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...

> >> [...]
> >>
> >> How the hell would I know? But If I were cycling anywhere I would make
> >> damn
> >> sure I was obeying whatever laws were in force and I would not be
> >> blabbing
> >> all over Usenet like an idiot how it is OK not to obey some laws.

> > Well it is OK so too bad. I'm going to go out and break that same law
> > again just to **** you off, right now.

> You are going to get knocked off of your bike by a motor vehicle and land on
> your stupid head - and it will serve you right!

You've been say that for ages and it STILL hasn't happenned. And you
know what? Ain't gonna happen.

> >> You are
> >> nothing but a scofflaw, not fit to live in a civilized society.

> > Making someone wear a helmet when they don't want to, is not civilized.

> If you do not like the law, then work to get it changed.

No. Too much work and I don't feel like engaging people such as
yourself who have no sense about them.
Besides it's easier for me to simply ride the bike helmetless. And
MOST police leave me alone (although I avoid them when I can as I
cannot tell the difference between those who are trying to good by
stopping criminals, and those who simply like exercising thier
authority.

> It is evil to break
> the law, but it is an even greater evil to advocate that others do so. You
> are not an ordinary scum bag, but a truly evil scum bag.

See that is the problem with you safety zealots-you see someone who
wants the choice for themselves, the same as Ted Bundy.

> >> If you don't want to be called names, then get to be a law-abiding
> >> citizen.
> >> Leave the law-breaking to the hoodlums and the other human scum that
> >> infest
> >> every large city in North America.

> > Sorry, let me finish weeping. (sniff sniff). There. You were saying,
> > Fruitcake?

> I am saying that you are human scum yourself. Learn to read between the
> lines why don't you?

I wonder what you look like? You must be one of those control hungry
cops.

> Regards,

Ed Dolan the dufus - Minnesota

"DiscoDuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Edward Dolan wrote:
>> "DiscoDuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > Well it is OK so too bad. I'm going to go out and break that same law
>> > again just to **** you off, right now.

>> You are going to get knocked off of your bike by a motor vehicle and land
>> on
>> your stupid head - and it will serve you right!

> You've been say that for ages and it STILL hasn't happenned. And you
> know what? Ain't gonna happen.

It only needs to happen once and you are toast.

>> > Making someone wear a helmet when they don't want to, is not civilized.

>> If you do not like the law, then work to get it changed.

> No. Too much work and I don't feel like engaging people such as
> yourself who have no sense about them.
> Besides it's easier for me to simply ride the bike helmetless. And
> MOST police leave me alone (although I avoid them when I can as I
> cannot tell the difference between those who are trying to good by
> stopping criminals, and those who simply like exercising thier
> authority.

Just don't be advocating that others also break the law. That is just too
despicable for words.

>> It is evil to break
>> the law, but it is an even greater evil to advocate that others do so.
>> You
>> are not an ordinary scum bag, but a truly evil scum bag.

> See that is the problem with you safety zealots-you see someone who
> wants the choice for themselves, the same as Ted Bundy.

No one has the right to choose what laws they are going to observe and what
laws they are not going to observe. That way lies anarchy.

>> > Sorry, let me finish weeping. (sniff sniff). There. You were saying,
>> > Fruitcake?

>> I am saying that you are human scum yourself. Learn to read between the
>> lines why don't you?

> I wonder what you look like? You must be one of those control hungry
> cops.

The cops are the only force (the thin blue line) that stand between us being
ruled by criminal gangs and being ruled by our elected representatives. I
prefer to live in a republic rather than under a despotic tyranny.

Edward Dolan wrote:
> > You've been say that for ages and it STILL hasn't happenned. And you
> > know what? Ain't gonna happen.

> It only needs to happen once and you are toast.

But you said it WOULD happen, and it won't. The chances are literally
MILLIONS to one.

> Just don't be advocating that others also break the law. That is just too
> despicable for words.

Never have encouraged anyone to break the law. I encourage them to
CHOOSE for themselves.

By the way, if it wasn't for some law breakers, we'd still have some
awful laws in place. So WE NEED LAW BREAKERS.
For instance, Rosie Parks. What a woman!

> No one has the right to choose what laws they are going to observe and what
> laws they are not going to observe. That way lies anarchy.

I DO have the right and DO Choose what laws to obey. try and stop me,
Eddy.

> The cops are the only force (the thin blue line) that stand between us being
> ruled by criminal gangs and being ruled by our elected representatives. I
> prefer to live in a republic rather than under a despotic tyranny.

Then go find one to live in, as the republic you dream of, is going
going going, gone!