Yippee - Two Breakthroughs

John B

Guest
After many eons of trying, like buses, two have come along in the same
week ;-)

1, £150 grant to run some cycle training linked to an outdoor event, and

2. £1200 grant to provide family cycle training linked to some
Basingstoke schools.

There is some hope outside London after all :))

And this is in an area where one LA refused even to apply to CE for just
£120, to help train three lads with learning diffs and financial
hardships.

This has made my day.

John B

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 19:44:26 +0100, John B <[email protected]>
wrote:

>After many eons of trying, like buses, two have come along in the same
>week ;-)
>
>1, £150 grant to run some cycle training linked to an outdoor event, and
>
>2. £1200 grant to provide family cycle training linked to some
>Basingstoke schools.
>
>There is some hope outside London after all :))
>
>And this is in an area where one LA refused even to apply to CE for just
>£120, to help train three lads with learning diffs and financial
>hardships.
>
>This has made my day.

Congratulations, John. Family cycle training is probably the most
effective way to get more people cycling regularly. Training children
alone is not so effective.

Tom Crispin wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 19:44:26 +0100, John B <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >After many eons of trying, like buses, two have come along in the same
> >week ;-)
> >
> >1, £150 grant to run some cycle training linked to an outdoor event, and
> >
> >2. £1200 grant to provide family cycle training linked to some
> >Basingstoke schools.
> >
> >There is some hope outside London after all :))
> >
> >And this is in an area where one LA refused even to apply to CE for just
> >£120, to help train three lads with learning diffs and financial
> >hardships.
> >
> >This has made my day.

> Congratulations, John. Family cycle training is probably the most
> effective way to get more people cycling regularly. Training children
> alone is not so effective.

I agree completely.
In all our training with children, parents are invited to join in.

It is very often an eye-opener for them, particularly the parts dealing with
road positioning.
The Big Benefit is that they go away and then act as the Instructor with
their youngsters, reinforcing teh messages learned in the training.

How ever much you teach a young rider about correct positioning, all is lost
if they then go home and the parent tells them to 'keep in to the edge' :-(

This weekend I have 40 children starting Level 2 and about 1 in 4 has a
parent present, but that is abnormally high.

John B