Yippee!!

David Martin wrote:

> In any case, they are visiting both countries on the Island.

Oh, so they're coming to Kernow as well as *land?

--
not me guv

Tony Raven wrote:
> David Martin wrote:
> > Tony Raven wrote:
> >>>
> >> Both of three is that?

> > Two countries. Were you thinking of the principality of Wales ( a
> > geographical region of the UK primarily noted for its use in comparing
> > the size of nation states) which is part of the country of Engalnd and
> > Wales.
> >
> > <stops digging and runs>
> >

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britain
>
> "The word Britain (from Latin Britannia) is an informal term used (for
> brevity or convenience) when referring to;
>
> # the island of Great Britain which consists of the nations of England,
> Scotland and Wales.

<picks up shovel>
Nation ne country. Nation state perchance? When was the last time there
were more than two Nation states in Great Britain? Or should a tour of
Britain have to include visits to Cambria, Alba, Wessex, Mercia,
Sussex, Anglia, Cornwall and t'other side of Offas Dyke before being
called a Tour of Britain.

...d

David Martin wrote:

> Nation ne country. Nation state perchance? When was the last time there
> were more than two Nation states in Great Britain? Or should a tour of
> Britain have to include visits to Cambria, Alba, Wessex, Mercia,
> Sussex, Anglia, Cornwall and t'other side of Offas Dyke before being
> called a Tour of Britain.

<climbs on bulldozer>

OED: Country: The territory or land of a nation; usually an independent
state, or a region once independent and still distinct in race,
language, institutions, or historical memories.

Seems to me that Wales fits that definition of a country and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constituent_countries would seem to agree

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

Tony Raven wrote:
> David Martin wrote:
>
> > Nation ne country. Nation state perchance? When was the last time there
> > were more than two Nation states in Great Britain? Or should a tour of
> > Britain have to include visits to Cambria, Alba, Wessex, Mercia,
> > Sussex, Anglia, Cornwall and t'other side of Offas Dyke before being
> > called a Tour of Britain.
> >

> <climbs on bulldozer>
>
> OED: Country: The territory or land of a nation; usually an independent
> state, or a region once independent and still distinct in race,
> language, institutions, or historical memories.
>
> Seems to me that Wales fits that definition of a country and
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constituent_countries would seem to agree

<jcb mode=on>
Arguements could be made to include Cornwall and Newcastle in the list
of countries as well as others. Where do you want to stop?
</jcb>

...d

> --
> Tony
>
> "The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the
> right."
> - Lord Hailsham

in message <[email protected]>, David
Martin ('[email protected]') wrote:

> Tony Raven wrote:
>> David Martin wrote:

>> > Two countries. Were you thinking of the principality of Wales ( a
>> > geographical region of the UK primarily noted for its use in
>> > comparing the size of nation states) which is part of the country of
>> > Engalnd and Wales.
>> >
>> > <stops digging and runs>

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britain
>>
>> "The word Britain (from Latin Britannia) is an informal term used (for
>> brevity or convenience) when referring to;
>>
>> # the island of Great Britain which consists of the nations of
>> # England,
>> Scotland and Wales.

> <picks up shovel>
> Nation ne country. Nation state perchance? When was the last time there
> were more than two Nation states in Great Britain? Or should a tour of
> Britain have to include visits to Cambria, Alba, Wessex, Mercia,
> Sussex, Anglia, Cornwall and t'other side of Offas Dyke before being
> called a Tour of Britain.

Oh, before you start. Where is Cat, Fidach, Ce, Circind, Fotla, Fortriu,
Dalriada, Manau, Gododdin, Cumbria, Rheged, The Isles, Guendoleu,
Galloway[1], Pictland, Fife, Bernicia, Ebrauc, Dewyr, Dunoting, Elmer,
Linnius, Gwenydd, Powys, Pengwern, Caer Lerion, Caer Went, Ceredigion,
Dyfedd, Gwerthrynion, Builth, Brycheiniog, Gwent, Ergnyng, Caer Gloui,
Caer Ceri, Cynwidion, Caer Colun, Caer Baddan, Caer Celemion, Caer
Lundein, Cornubia, Dumnonia, Glastenning, Caer Gwinniguic, Rhegin,
Ceint...

[1] Yes, I know you can't, geographically, have Rheged and Galloway in
the same list. But there's enough historical discontinuation between
Urien's kingdom and Fergus' kingdom to make them distinct entities.

Hobbit ringleader gives Sauron One in the Eye.

David Martin wrote:

> <jcb mode=on>
> Arguements could be made to include Cornwall and Newcastle in the list
> of countries as well as others. Where do you want to stop?
> </jcb>

You many try to argue that but can you point to any reasonably credible
source that supports that view?

--
Tony

Leonardo da Vinci

Tony Raven wrote:
> David Martin wrote:
> >
> > <jcb mode=on>
> > Arguements could be made to include Cornwall and Newcastle in the list
> > of countries as well as others. Where do you want to stop?
> > </jcb>
> >

> You many try to argue that but can you point to any reasonably credible
> source that supports that view?

No, but it's a lot more fun than writing the lectures I'm supposed to
be giving on a course next week ;-)

...d

David Martin wrote:

> No, but it's a lot more fun than writing the lectures I'm supposed to
> be giving on a course next week ;-)

Ah, displacement activity (unless its a course on the geopolitics of the
UK) ;-)

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

Tony Raven wrote:
> David Martin wrote:
> >
> > No, but it's a lot more fun than writing the lectures I'm supposed to
> > be giving on a course next week ;-)
> >

> Ah, displacement activity (unless its a course on the geopolitics of the
> UK) ;-)

Whilst also trying to stop three kids attacking each other, one of whom
is trying to make a lemon merangue pie, getting the laundry done, and
at some point also making a base for a greenhouse.

The course is a short course for MSc students on proteomics.

...d

Simon Brooke wrote:
> > <picks up shovel>
> > Nation ne country. Nation state perchance? When was the last time there
> > were more than two Nation states in Great Britain? Or should a tour of
> > Britain have to include visits to Cambria, Alba, Wessex, Mercia,
> > Sussex, Anglia, Cornwall and t'other side of Offas Dyke before being
> > called a Tour of Britain.

> Oh, before you start. Where is Cat, Fidach, Ce, Circind, Fotla, Fortriu,
> Dalriada, Manau, Gododdin, Cumbria, Rheged, The Isles, Guendoleu,
> Galloway[1], Pictland, Fife, Bernicia, Ebrauc, Dewyr, Dunoting, Elmer,
> Linnius, Gwenydd, Powys, Pengwern, Caer Lerion, Caer Went, Ceredigion,
> Dyfedd, Gwerthrynion, Builth, Brycheiniog, Gwent, Ergnyng, Caer Gloui,
> Caer Ceri, Cynwidion, Caer Colun, Caer Baddan, Caer Celemion, Caer
> Lundein, Cornubia, Dumnonia, Glastenning, Caer Gwinniguic, Rhegin,
> Ceint...

It was a non-exhaustive list. I was also restricting it to the mainland
so Anglesey could be dropped. The domain of the Lord of the Isles
included a fair part of the western highlands so would remain..

It's nice and sunny out there. Perhaps I should take the kids to the
park?

...d

Simon Brooke wrote:
> Oh, before you start.

So this is the prologue...

> Where is Cat, Fidach, Ce, Circind, Fotla, Fortriu,
> Dalriada, Manau, Gododdin, Cumbria, Rheged, The Isles, Guendoleu,
> Galloway, Pictland, Fife, Bernicia, Ebrauc, Dewyr, Dunoting, Elmer,
> Linnius, Gwenydd, Powys, Pengwern, Caer Lerion, Caer Went, Ceredigion,
> Dyfedd, Gwerthrynion, Builth, Brycheiniog, Gwent, Ergnyng, Caer Gloui,
> Caer Ceri, Cynwidion, Caer Colun, Caer Baddan, Caer Celemion, Caer
> Lundein, Cornubia, Dumnonia, Glastenning, Caer Gwinniguic, Rhegin,
> Ceint...

Whey hey! Its going to come past my house (possibly twice). I'm so
pleased I'm not even going to take issue with the English spelling of
historical Welsh names.

JimP

--
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to
grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after

David Martin wrote:
> Whilst also trying to stop three kids attacking each other, one of whom
> is trying to make a lemon merangue pie, getting the laundry done, and
> at some point also making a base for a greenhouse.

That's a very industrious child

> The course is a short course for MSc students on proteomics.

Wot?

Colin McKenzie

Colin McKenzie wrote:
> David Martin wrote:
> > Whilst also trying to stop three kids attacking each other, one of whom
> > is trying to make a lemon merangue pie, getting the laundry done, and
> > at some point also making a base for a greenhouse.

> That's a very industrious child

Unfortunately she is only doing the pie (with "help" from the 4yo). The
laundry takes care of itself as long as the machines get fed. The
greenhouse base will have to wait.

> > The course is a short course for MSc students on proteomics.

> Wot?

Measuring accurately the weight of protein molecules before and after
smashing them up, then trying to work out what the hell is going on.
I'm doing the background 'what is going on' bit.

...d

David Martin wrote:
> Tony Raven wrote:
>> David Martin wrote:

>>> Two countries. Were you thinking of the principality of Wales ( a
>>> geographical region of the UK primarily noted for its use in
>>> comparing the size of nation states) which is part of the country
>>> of Engalnd and Wales.
>>>
>>> <stops digging and runs>
>>>

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britain
>>
>> "The word Britain (from Latin Britannia) is an informal term used
>> (for brevity or convenience) when referring to;
>>
>> # the island of Great Britain which consists of the nations of
>> England, Scotland and Wales.

> <picks up shovel>
> Nation ne country. Nation state perchance? When was the last time
> there were more than two Nation states in Great Britain? Or should a
> tour of Britain have to include visits to Cambria, Alba, Wessex,
> Mercia, Sussex, Anglia, Cornwall and t'other side of Offas Dyke
> before being called a Tour of Britain.

Will it be going north of Northumbria and Strathclyde (i.e. north of the
Antonine wall), so as to include Scotland, too?
--
Ambrose

David Martin wrote:
> Tony Raven wrote:
>> David Martin wrote:
>>>
>>> No, but it's a lot more fun than writing the lectures I'm supposed
>>> to be giving on a course next week ;-)
>>>

>> Ah, displacement activity (unless its a course on the geopolitics of
>> the UK) ;-)

> Whilst also trying to stop three kids attacking each other, one of
> whom is trying to make a lemon merangue pie, getting the laundry
> done, and at some point also making a base for a greenhouse.
>
> The course is a short course for MSc students on proteomics.

Could you get them to make me some TNF-α antibodies? The NHS don't seem that
happy to give them to me, and (ob cycling), it would really help me not be
knackered for the rest of the day after cycling into town and back again (1
mile each way).
--
Ambrose

Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
> David Martin wrote:
> > Tony Raven wrote:

> >> Ah, displacement activity (unless its a course on the geopolitics of
> >> the UK) ;-)

> > Whilst also trying to stop three kids attacking each other, one of
> > whom is trying to make a lemon merangue pie, getting the laundry
> > done, and at some point also making a base for a greenhouse.
> >
> > The course is a short course for MSc students on proteomics.

> Could you get them to make me some TNF-a antibodies? The NHS don't seem that
> happy to give them to me, and (ob cycling), it would really help me not be
> knackered for the rest of the day after cycling into town and back again (1
> mile each way).

Immunology is on the 3rd floor. Sorry.

...d

David Martin wrote:
> Unfortunately she is only doing the pie (with "help" from the
> 4yo). The laundry takes care of itself as long as the machines
> get fed. The greenhouse base will have to wait.

I built my dad a greenhouse several years ago, when my kids were still
young, the oldest was about 6 and for months after that any time we
passed a greenhouse in the car all I would hear was "Did you build
that one dad?".

--
Cheers
the.Mark

wafflycat wrote:

> BAH!!
>
> By the time Vernon decided he couldn't get any rooms at a 'better'
> price, the rooms he wanted to book had gone.
>
> No d**n trip to France :-(

Camper van? ;-)

~PB

Tony Raven wrote:

> David Martin wrote:
>

>> <jcb mode=on>
>> Arguements could be made to include Cornwall and Newcastle in the list
>> of countries as well as others. Where do you want to stop?
>> </jcb>
>>

> You many try to argue that but can you point to any reasonably credible
> source that supports that view?

Wikipedia may be a handy reference but it's hardly an authoritative source.

James
--
James Annan
see web pages for email

Pete Biggs wrote:
> wafflycat wrote:
>

>>BAH!!
>>
>>By the time Vernon decided he couldn't get any rooms at a 'better'
>>price, the rooms he wanted to book had gone.
>>
>>No d**n trip to France :-(

> Camper van? ;-)

As I said already I'm doing that (but it's not for sale ;-)) )