Yo, Phil Squid IT - Left Hand, Rear D Shift?

D T W .../\\...

Guest
I'm reasonably good at fixing bikes. Word gets around and I get a friend of
a friends bike to tune up once in a while. This was a Trek something MTB
that had the chain ring shift on the right etc. Never saw that before. How
common is that setup?

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

D T W .../\... wrote:
> I'm reasonably good at fixing bikes. Word gets around and I get a friend of
> a friends bike to tune up once in a while. This was a Trek something MTB
> that had the chain ring shift on the right etc. Never saw that before. How
> common is that setup?

That's how most if not all the bikes I saw in Australia were set up. I
got a nasty surprise when I discovered my hired bike was that way once
on Rotnest Island.
I wonder if the UK is the same (anyone? I never noticed). Maybe it's
somehow connected with the side of the road they drive on, maybe for
signaling.

Matt

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>D T W .../\... wrote:
>> I'm reasonably good at fixing bikes. Word gets around and I get a friend
>> of a friends bike to tune up once in a while. This was a Trek something
>> MTB that had the chain ring shift on the right etc. Never saw that
>> before. How common is that setup?
>>

> That's how most if not all the bikes I saw in Australia were set up. I got
> a nasty surprise when I discovered my hired bike was that way once on
> Rotnest Island.
> I wonder if the UK is the same (anyone? I never noticed). Maybe it's
> somehow connected with the side of the road they drive on, maybe for
> signaling.
>
> Matt

I'm from Aus and I've never seen a setup like that before. All of my bikes
have allways had the rear derailleur connected to the RHS shifter...

Cheers Dre

Dre wrote:
> "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>D T W .../\... wrote:
>>
>>>I'm reasonably good at fixing bikes. Word gets around and I get a friend
>>>of a friends bike to tune up once in a while. This was a Trek something
>>>MTB that had the chain ring shift on the right etc. Never saw that
>>>before. How common is that setup?
>>>

>>That's how most if not all the bikes I saw in Australia were set up. I got
>>a nasty surprise when I discovered my hired bike was that way once on
>>Rotnest Island.
>>I wonder if the UK is the same (anyone? I never noticed). Maybe it's
>>somehow connected with the side of the road they drive on, maybe for
>>signaling.
>>
>>Matt

> I'm from Aus and I've never seen a setup like that before. All of my bikes
> have allways had the rear derailleur connected to the RHS shifter...
>
> Cheers Dre

Maybe I just came across a freak batch of hire bikes then!
It made my intended power slide go all wrong!

Matt (it was the bike, I swear)

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dre wrote:
>> "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>>That's how most if not all the bikes I saw in Australia were set up. I
>>>got a nasty surprise when I discovered my hired bike was that way once on
>>>Rotnest Island.
>>>I wonder if the UK is the same (anyone? I never noticed). Maybe it's
>>>somehow connected with the side of the road they drive on, maybe for
>>>signaling.
>>>
>>>Matt

>> I'm from Aus and I've never seen a setup like that before. All of my
>> bikes have allways had the rear derailleur connected to the RHS
>> shifter...
>>
>> Cheers Dre

> Maybe I just came across a freak batch of hire bikes then!
> It made my intended power slide go all wrong!
>
> Matt (it was the bike, I swear)

LOL :)

Not as bad as the Magura HS33's that I bought via ebay from Europe, the rear
brakes were plumbed into the LHS brake lever and fronts into the RHS. That
confused the **** out of me when I went to install them, thought I'd screwed
up majorly till I realised they were back to front. Glad I didn't find out
at speed!

Cheers Dre

"Dre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Dre wrote:
>>> "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> I'm from Aus and I've never seen a setup like that before. All of my
>>> bikes have allways had the rear derailleur connected to the RHS
>>> shifter...
>>>
>>> Cheers Dre

>> Maybe I just came across a freak batch of hire bikes then!
>> It made my intended power slide go all wrong!
>>
>> Matt (it was the bike, I swear)

> LOL :)
>
> Not as bad as the Magura HS33's that I bought via ebay from Europe, the
> rear brakes were plumbed into the LHS brake lever and fronts into the RHS.
> That confused the **** out of me when I went to install them, thought I'd
> screwed up majorly till I realised they were back to front. Glad I didn't
> find out at speed!
>
> Cheers Dre

DOH!! I knew I'd get that wrong (and I bloody double checked!).

The brakes were reversed, so RHS brake lever activated the rear brakes,
freaky!

Cheers Dre

On 2006-05-23, MattB <[email protected]> wrote:
> D T W .../\... wrote:
>> I'm reasonably good at fixing bikes. Word gets around and I get a friend of
>> a friends bike to tune up once in a while. This was a Trek something MTB
>> that had the chain ring shift on the right etc. Never saw that before. How
>> common is that setup?
>>

> That's how most if not all the bikes I saw in Australia were set up. I
> got a nasty surprise when I discovered my hired bike was that way once
> on Rotnest Island.
> I wonder if the UK is the same (anyone? I never noticed). Maybe it's
> somehow connected with the side of the road they drive on, maybe for
> signaling.
>
> Matt

UK has rear der. controlled by right shifter, front der.
controlled by left shifter. I wasn't aware that SRAM or Shimano made
shifters "the wrong way round".

In the UK it is usual to have the front brake on on right hand
lever which is I understand the reverse of the US convention.
--
Tim.

[email protected]

> The brakes were reversed, so RHS brake lever activated the rear brakes,
> freaky!

Isn't that how bikes are supposed to be??? Front brake in left, rear in
right.

Some people change it, allegably because of motorbikes, wich have front
brake in the RHS lever.

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dre wrote:
>> "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>>That's how most if not all the bikes I saw in Australia were set up. I
>>>got a nasty surprise when I discovered my hired bike was that way once on
>>>Rotnest Island.
>>>I wonder if the UK is the same (anyone? I never noticed). Maybe it's
>>>somehow connected with the side of the road they drive on, maybe for
>>>signaling.
>>>
>>>Matt

>> I'm from Aus and I've never seen a setup like that before. All of my
>> bikes have allways had the rear derailleur connected to the RHS
>> shifter...
>>
>> Cheers Dre

> Maybe I just came across a freak batch of hire bikes then!
> It made my intended power slide go all wrong!
>
> Matt (it was the bike, I swear)

Just a note, the hired bike I had in England had the rear brake on the left
and front on the right. Talk about your new experience.......

Gary

Rodolfo Barros wrote:
> > The brakes were reversed, so RHS brake lever activated the rear brakes,
> > freaky!

> Isn't that how bikes are supposed to be??? Front brake in left, rear in
> right.
>
> Some people change it, allegably because of motorbikes, wich have front
> brake in the RHS lever.

UK standard is for rear brake left hand, front brake right hand. I
never understood why you'd want a bike set up any other way. Maybe if
you left handed.

laters,

marz

Marz wrote:
> Rodolfo Barros wrote:
>
>>>The brakes were reversed, so RHS brake lever activated the rear brakes,
>>>freaky!

>>Isn't that how bikes are supposed to be??? Front brake in left, rear in
>>right.
>>
>>Some people change it, allegably because of motorbikes, wich have front
>>brake in the RHS lever.

> UK standard is for rear brake left hand, front brake right hand. I
> never understood why you'd want a bike set up any other way. Maybe if
> you left handed.
>
> laters,
>
> marz

I just want to know what to expect. Before that experience I had never
thought that there might be different standards.

Matt

Rodolfo Barros wrote:
>>The brakes were reversed, so RHS brake lever activated the rear brakes,
>>freaky!

> Isn't that how bikes are supposed to be??? Front brake in left, rear in
> right.
>
> Some people change it, allegably because of motorbikes, wich have front
> brake in the RHS lever.

No, they change it because they're right handed, then, years later they
start motorcycling and realize what a good choice it was (OK that's how
it worked out for me). Your dominant hand should control the front
brake, the one that requires more power and modulation (most people have
more control over the hand they write with, at least those who still
write). Right handed, right brake lever to front brake.

Shawn

"Marz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Rodolfo Barros wrote:
>> > The brakes were reversed, so RHS brake lever activated the rear brakes,
>> > freaky!

>> Isn't that how bikes are supposed to be??? Front brake in left, rear in
>> right.
>>
>> Some people change it, allegably because of motorbikes, wich have front
>> brake in the RHS lever.

> UK standard is for rear brake left hand, front brake right hand. I
> never understood why you'd want a bike set up any other way. Maybe if
> you left handed.
>
> laters,
>
> marz

Thats how I've allways seen it setup, in Australia anyway. Would have
totally freaked me out if I'd started riding :)

Cheers Dre

"Marz" <[email protected]> wrote:

>UK standard is for rear brake left hand, front brake right hand. I
>never understood why you'd want a bike set up any other way. Maybe if
>you left handed.

That can make for some interesting test rides when you fly to the
other side of the big pond. I had a customer fly in from the UK to
pick up his new MTB, and took mine out for a quick test ride up and
down the street. I noticed he got all twitchy and almost crashed
turning around... yep, he had grabbed a handful of "rear brake" (and
was a bit surprised that it prompted a near nose wheelie).

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>D T W .../\... wrote:
>> I'm reasonably good at fixing bikes. Word gets around and I get a friend
>> of a friends bike to tune up once in a while. This was a Trek something
>> MTB that had the chain ring shift on the right etc. Never saw that
>> before. How common is that setup?
>>

> That's how most if not all the bikes I saw in Australia were set up. I got
> a nasty surprise when I discovered my hired bike was that way once on
> Rotnest Island.
> I wonder if the UK is the same (anyone? I never noticed). Maybe it's
> somehow connected with the side of the road they drive on, maybe for
> signaling.
>
> Matt

Nope - UK = RHS, rear mech, LHS front. Never saw one different.

Shaun aRe

"Rodolfo Barros" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>> The brakes were reversed, so RHS brake lever activated the rear brakes,
>> freaky!

> Isn't that how bikes are supposed to be??? Front brake in left, rear in
> right.
>
> Some people change it, allegably because of motorbikes, wich have front
> brake in the RHS lever.

All my bikes since childhood have brakes set up the same as motorcycles -
RHS, front brake.

Shaun aRe - England.

Shaun aRe wrote:
> "Rodolfo Barros" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>> The brakes were reversed, so RHS brake lever activated the rear
>>> brakes, freaky!

>> Isn't that how bikes are supposed to be??? Front brake in left, rear
>> in right.
>>
>> Some people change it, allegably because of motorbikes, wich have
>> front brake in the RHS lever.

> All my bikes since childhood have brakes set up the same as
> motorcycles - RHS, front brake.

Same here. It makes sense to have the more articulate hand on the stronger
brake. And now that I'd finally gotten a motorbike, I can argue that it's
for that purpose. BTW, the sig has changed because of job purposes. Nobody
wants to hire slimy cephalopods.

--
Philip Lee

D T W .../\... wrote:
> I'm reasonably good at fixing bikes. Word gets around and I get a
> friend of a friends bike to tune up once in a while. This was a Trek
> something MTB that had the chain ring shift on the right etc. Never
> saw that before. How common is that setup?

Never seen that before. It was probably a friction shifter bike that was
accidentally wired incorrectly. I've never seen an index shifter pod
designed to shift the way you describe, but there's lots of stuff out there,
so who knows?

--
Philip Lee