York Rally 2006

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by MSeries, Mar 28, 2006.

  1. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    Whos going ?

    I am thinking of doing a 100mile (maybe 200km DIY Perm) ride on the
    Saturday anyone else interested ?

    Tags:

  2. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    MSeries wrote:

    > I am thinking of doing a 100mile (maybe 200km DIY Perm) ride on the
    > Saturday anyone else interested ?

    I'll be there and doing the CTC Ron Kitching ride on the Saturday. It's
    100 miles and a nice senic route. Not bonkers hard as well. I'd be
    happy to ride round in a group if some others want to do it.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune

  3. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    Arthur Clune wrote:
    > MSeries wrote:
    >
    > > I am thinking of doing a 100mile (maybe 200km DIY Perm) ride on the
    > > Saturday anyone else interested ?

    > I'll be there and doing the CTC Ron Kitching ride on the Saturday. It's
    > 100 miles and a nice senic route. Not bonkers hard as well. I'd be
    > happy to ride round in a group if some others want to do it.

    I thought lasts years Ron Kit. was crap. Too sporting, too many stupid
    steep hills for my liking. I much prefer long drags. I expect the
    original route to be similar.

  4. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    MSeries wrote:

    > I thought lasts years Ron Kit. was crap. Too sporting, too many stupid
    > steep hills for my liking. I much prefer long drags. I expect the
    > original route to be similar.

    It's only sporting if you make it sporting. As for hills, there's
    only a couple of steep hills and only one hard hill (Blakey Bank).
    I think it's an excellent route. This is Yorkshire - sticking to
    drags limits your route choice a lot.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune

  5. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    Arthur Clune wrote:
    > MSeries wrote:
    >
    > > I thought lasts years Ron Kit. was crap. Too sporting, too many stupid
    > > steep hills for my liking. I much prefer long drags. I expect the
    > > original route to be similar.

    > It's only sporting if you make it sporting. As for hills, there's
    > only a couple of steep hills and only one hard hill (Blakey Bank).
    > I think it's an excellent route. This is Yorkshire - sticking to
    > drags limits your route choice a lot.

    IF I design an alternative I'll take it up to Tan Hill or Nidderdale,
    IMO much nicer than the NY Moors. My favourite Yorkshire hills, in West
    Yorks, are sadly too far from York for a rally ride. I am afraid I
    can't agree that NY Moors is representative of Yorkshire. Bronte
    Country, KIrklees and Calderdale is so different and more favourable to
    me.

  6. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    MSeries wrote:

    > IF I design an alternative I'll take it up to Tan Hill or Nidderdale,

    See our Tan Hill Audax in August. It makes for 140 miles on the day from
    the Rally ground though so a bit long.

    > IMO much nicer than the NY Moors.

    I like both. I don't think one could say either is "representive" mind

    --
    Arthur Clune

  7. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    Arthur Clune wrote:
    > MSeries wrote:
    > >
    > > IF I design an alternative I'll take it up to Tan Hill or Nidderdale,

    > See our Tan Hill Audax in August. It makes for 140 miles on the day from
    > the Rally ground though so a bit long.
    >
    > > IMO much nicer than the NY Moors.

    > I like both. I don't think one could say either is "representive" mind
    >
    > --
    > Arthur Clune

    I have The Tan Hill Challenge on my list, looking forward to it.
    140miles might be too far for some people for a rally ride.

    I know a lady from Yorkshire Culture (yes really) and one of their
    claims is that Yorkshire has the most varied scenary and landscapes in
    the UK, hills. moorland, coast, plalins.

    I'll probably ride to the rally and camp like last year so whatever
    ride I do, it'll be on my crusty old tourer and thus not sporting.

  8. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    MSeries wrote:

    > I have The Tan Hill Challenge on my list, looking forward to it.
    > 140miles might be too far for some people for a rally ride.

    I think that's the main reason for sticking to the Moors - it
    gets a varied ride in within the 100 miles that the CTC seem
    to like their challenge rides to me, and it's also gives nice
    quiet roads.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune

  9. Pinky

    Pinky Guest

    "MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Whos going ?
    >
    > I am thinking of doing a 100mile (maybe 200km DIY Perm) ride on the
    > Saturday anyone else interested ?

    It is the end of my Rhein/Mosel Cycle camping tour this year.

    I am touring from Mulhouse to eventually arrive in Rotterdam to take the
    night ferry to arrive in Hull on the morning of 23 June. From there up to
    York for a relaxed w/e and then back home to Conisbrough on the Monday
    morning --- completing about 2000 kms

    --
    Trevor A Panther
    In South Yorkshire,

  10. vernon

    vernon Guest

    "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > MSeries wrote:
    >
    > > I am thinking of doing a 100mile (maybe 200km DIY Perm) ride on the
    > > Saturday anyone else interested ?

    > I'll be there and doing the CTC Ron Kitching ride on the Saturday. It's
    > 100 miles and a nice senic route. Not bonkers hard as well. I'd be
    > happy to ride round in a group if some others want to do it.

    I think I'll be there. I'll probably plump for the 150km ride. Last year's
    was very challenging for me. I didn't realise that Ron Kitching was a hill
    enthusiast otherwise I wouldn't have entered. Now I'm a tad fitter I'm
    confident that I'll not struggle as much and I've got a lower gear on my
    Galaxy so I might be able to get up Blakey bank without dismounting. I'll
    probably bumble around in my customary Tail End Charlie position.

  11. vernon

    vernon Guest

    > > MSeries wrote:
    > >

    > I thought lasts years Ron Kit. was crap. Too sporting, too many stupid
    > steep hills for my liking. I much prefer long drags. I expect the
    > original route to be similar.

    Funnily enough I had the route sheet out on my desk top when I came across
    this thread. I thought I had the original route too but it seems to have
    gone astray. They were very similar though I think that the substitute ride
    was a tad more hilly than the the original.

    Despite my struggles with gravity, I loved the ride and enjoyed the scenery
    and dead badger.

  12. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    Pinky wrote:
    > "MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Whos going ?
    >>
    >> I am thinking of doing a 100mile (maybe 200km DIY Perm) ride on the
    >> Saturday anyone else interested ?

    > It is the end of my Rhein/Mosel Cycle camping tour this year.
    >
    > I am touring from Mulhouse to eventually arrive in Rotterdam to take the
    > night ferry to arrive in Hull on the morning of 23 June. From there up to
    > York for a relaxed w/e and then back home to Conisbrough on the Monday
    > morning --- completing about 2000 kms

    You might be in for the most furthest travelled prize !!

  13. Peter

    Peter Guest

    "vernon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> MSeries wrote:
    >>
    >> > I am thinking of doing a 100mile (maybe 200km DIY Perm) ride on the
    >> > Saturday anyone else interested ?

    >> I'll be there and doing the CTC Ron Kitching ride on the Saturday. It's
    >> 100 miles and a nice senic route. Not bonkers hard as well. I'd be
    >> happy to ride round in a group if some others want to do it.
    >>

    > I think I'll be there. I'll probably plump for the 150km ride. Last
    > year's
    > was very challenging for me. I didn't realise that Ron Kitching was a hill
    > enthusiast otherwise I wouldn't have entered. Now I'm a tad fitter I'm
    > confident that I'll not struggle as much and I've got a lower gear on my
    > Galaxy so I might be able to get up Blakey bank without dismounting. I'll
    > probably bumble around in my customary Tail End Charlie position.

    I quite fancy doing it - never done it beforre - how fast is the ride - is
    it at audax pace?
    I think I might join you at the back...
    Thnx
    Peter

  14. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Peter wrote:
    >> I'll
    > > probably bumble around in my customary Tail End Charlie position.
    > >

    > I quite fancy doing it - never done it beforre - how fast is the ride - is
    > it at audax pace?
    > I think I might join you at the back...

    Could be a bunch of us then. If I come down on my own it will be on the
    MTB so I'll be bumbling round too.. Hopefully this year I'll be up to
    it. I was rather wasted int he leg department after my ride in last
    year.

    ...d

  15. vernon

    vernon Guest

    "Peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "vernon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > I think I'll be there. I'll probably plump for the 150km ride. Last
    > > year's
    > > was very challenging for me. I didn't realise that Ron Kitching was a

    hill
    > > enthusiast otherwise I wouldn't have entered. Now I'm a tad fitter I'm
    > > confident that I'll not struggle as much and I've got a lower gear on my
    > > Galaxy so I might be able to get up Blakey bank without dismounting.

    I'll
    > > probably bumble around in my customary Tail End Charlie position.
    > >

    > I quite fancy doing it - never done it beforre - how fast is the ride - is
    > it at audax pace?
    > I think I might join you at the back...

    Yes it's Audax pace. It would be nice to have some company. I rode alone
    for around 140km last year - not that I minded.

  16. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    David Martin wrote:
    > Peter wrote:
    > >> I'll
    > > > probably bumble around in my customary Tail End Charlie position.
    > > >

    > > I quite fancy doing it - never done it beforre - how fast is the ride - is
    > > it at audax pace?
    > > I think I might join you at the back...

    > Could be a bunch of us then. If I come down on my own it will be on the
    > MTB so I'll be bumbling round too.. Hopefully this year I'll be up to
    > it. I was rather wasted int he leg department after my ride in last
    > year.
    >
    > ..d

    Perhaps I'll do it with you guys then.

  17. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Peter wrote:

    > how fast is the ride - is it at audax pace?

    Yes if you're at the back, no if you're at the front.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune

  18. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    Arthur Clune wrote:
    > Peter wrote:
    >
    > > how fast is the ride - is it at audax pace?

    > Yes if you're at the back, no if you're at the front.
    >
    > Arthur
    >
    > --
    > Arthur Clune

    At 30kph, the fastest Audax pace, you will not be at the back though.
    Probably not first man home either.. To the OP, it IS an Audax if you
    enter using an AUK entry form, get a brevet card and do it at Audax
    pace.

  19. vernon

    vernon Guest

    "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Peter wrote:
    >
    > > how fast is the ride - is it at audax pace?

    > Yes if you're at the back, no if you're at the front.

    I felt seriously outclassed and out gunned last year when I saw the racing
    whippets gathered around the control tent. Never saw them again once the
    race, I mean ride, started.

  20. vernon

    vernon Guest

    "MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > David Martin wrote:
    > > > >
    > > > I quite fancy doing it - never done it beforre - how fast is the

    ride - is
    > > > it at audax pace?
    > > > I think I might join you at the back...

    > > Could be a bunch of us then. If I come down on my own it will be on the
    > > MTB so I'll be bumbling round too.. Hopefully this year I'll be up to
    > > it. I was rather wasted int he leg department after my ride in last
    > > year.
    > >
    > > ..d

    > Perhaps I'll do it with you guys then.

    Only if you let me be last :)