york to scarborough

Robert France

Guest
a bit of advice needed. im cycling York to Scarborough on thursday, has anyone done it before and
can you suggest a good route? The A64 looks the most direct to me, but is it busy/dual carriageway
or more like the winding country style id prefer? having looked at a map i reckon i could do it
using B-roads and unclassified but i dont think id manage it without looking at the map every 15
minutes. also is it very steep? im setting off from york train station. is york itself easy to
navigate/escape?

hopefully it wont be too wet and the wind will be behind me. thanks. rob.

robert france <[email protected]> wrote:
: The A64 looks the most direct to me, but is it busy/dual carriageway or more like the winding
: country style id prefer?

Don't even think about it. It's very narrow, very fast, very, very, very dangerous.

: having looked at a map i reckon i could do it using B-roads and unclassified but i dont think id
: manage it without looking at the map every 15 minutes. also is it very steep?

Not too bad. Flat for the first bit, then lumpy.

: im setting off from york train station. is york itself easy to

It can be tricky I'm afriad. Still it's a nice ride if you stay off the main roads.

Arthur

Lord Lester

North / South, York is a doddle to enter and leave along the (mostly) riverside cyclepath. East/West though is a complete bugger.

robert france wrote:

> a bit of advice needed. im cycling York to Scarborough on thursday, has anyone done it before and
> can you suggest a good route?

You'll want an OS map for this, but it's a nice enough route.

Head north out of York to Haxby, then go to Sherrif Hutton, then (E) to Bulmer and (N-ish) Castle
Howard and then (E) to Malton.

Go through Malton and Old Malton (staying clear of A64) and then go north to Pickering. If you're
in a rush, just go direct from Pickering to Scarborough - it's quite a pretty run, but the road
can be busy.

If you have time, go from Pickering to Thorton le Dale, turn of to Dalby and come through Dalby
Forest on the 'forest drive' to Langdale End, approaching Scarborough on the back roads.

Good cafe stops at: Bulmer & Thorton le Dale.

On Tue, 6 May 2003 18:23:21 +0100, contributor Robert france had scribed:
> a bit of advice needed. im cycling York to Scarborough on thursday, has anyone done it before and
> can you suggest a good route? The A64 looks the most direct to me, but is it busy/dual carriageway
> or more like the winding country style id prefer?

Stay off the A64(T), it is a mix of single and dual carriageway and the other clue is the (T) suffix
on the map.

> having looked at a map i reckon i could do it using B-roads and unclassified but i dont think id
> manage it without looking at the map every 15 minutes. also is it very steep?

The route I would recommend is to leave York via Stockton-on-the-Forest (more about getting there to
follow), Warthill Common, Upper Helmsley, Buttercrambe and follow the unclassified road towards
Norton and Malton.

Three miles before Norton, either 1) continue into Norton and take the B1248 to join the A64 for
four mile and left onto the B1258 through Yedingham to join the A170 at Snainton to head eastwards
for nine miles into Scarborough (fine if riding during the week outside the busy periods or in the
evening), or head east through Langton to join the B1253 at North Grimston, to leave at Duggleby to
join the unclassified roads via Kirkby Grindalythe, West Lutton, East Lutton, Helperthorpe,
Weaverthorpe, left at B1249 to head north through Foxholes to join A64 for two miles, leave at B1261
for Seamer, at Seamer head east on B1261 Scarborough for short distance to turn left onto Stoney
Haggs Road, rejoin A64 for 3/4 mile to leave via B1247 (Queen Margarets Road) on right, follow this
road for a mile to join A165 (Filey Road) where left towards town centre (the latter route is about
3-1/2 miles longer and steep in the vicinity of North Grimston). Total distance 43 and46 miles
respectively.

> Im setting off from york train station. is york itself easy to navigate/escape?

That's the easy bit if you can cope with a little traffic. Left out of the station, follow cycle
lane to ASL at the head of the RH lane at TL. Straight on to take LH lane, hopefully right of the No
1 or No 2 bus, just enough room! Bear left to cross Lendal Bridge. Straight on at next traffic
lights to pass York Minster on the left. Bewarned, when passing the Minster, pedestrians have a
habit of leaving brain cells at home causing them to wonder or stand in the carriageway at this
point. Having passed the Minster continue to Monk Bar and make use of the cycle filter to go through
the arch, if applicable, to another stop line with ASL, no only does this gain distance the light
nearer the junction changes about 7 seconds before the one bypassed. Take right hand lane which
acquires a separate cycle lane on approaching the Monkbridge roundabout. Straight on (2nd exit) at
this roundabout onto Heworth Green, SP Scarborough. After about another 1/2 mile, on approaching
Heworth roundabout, take the right hand lane which acquires a separate cycle lane to leave the
roundabout at the second exit (Stockton Lane), this is the road to Stockton-on-the-Forest.

Any more questions or comments come back to the group and let us know how you get on.

Gary

--

The email address is for newsgroups purposes only and therefore unlikely to be read.

For contact via email use my real name with an underscore separator at the domain of CompuServe.

Gary Knighton <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> The route I would recommend is to leave York via Stockton-on-the-Forest (more about getting there
> to follow), Warthill Common, Upper Helmsley, Buttercrambe and follow the unclassified road towards
> Norton and Malton.

Seconded - by far the best way to get from York to Malton, and makes for a very nice ride. There are
a few hills where you need to do a bit of work, but to compensate there's a nice long (and I mean
long!) descent into Norton.

> Straight on at next traffic lights to pass York Minster on the left. Bewarned, when passing the
> Minster, pedestrians have a habit of leaving brain cells at home causing them to wonder or stand
> in the carriageway at this point.

Don't remind me! This bit of road is notorious for near-misses!

David E. Belcher

Dept. of Chemistry, University of York