York URC

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tony Raven, Jun 22, 2003.

  1. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    After weeks of build up and excitement the event that URC has been eagerly anticipating took place
    yesterday at the York Rally. But while all that was going on an event soon to be lost down the back
    of the sofa of history also took place - the first URC chat room was hosted outside the food tent
    using revolutionary liveware based acousto-optic networking protocols.

    Host Arthur set up at the food tent with a healthy carbo loading plate of steak and kidney pie,
    chips and tomato ketchup (in reverse order of portion size) and two covert URC signs. We sat and
    reminisced about old times until half an hour later a big yellow banana carrying a CTC regulation
    moustache and trailing a massive National Cycle Network flag shot across the peripheral vision and
    parked in the marquee wall. Just zis Guy we (pretended not to) Know had arrived in Stinger style.
    The conversation drifted briefly to P*** S**** but was bravely snatched back to normality (?) just
    before the soap boxes were unpacked. Another half an hour and Carol Hague joined the chat room. She
    was rapidly followed by Just zis Family you know who added to the weird and wonderful collection of
    JzGyk bikes with a (whisper it) non-dark-side triplet. All had been rescued from their normal
    parking place in JzGyk's kitchen and carried to York on the long suffering MDG driven strictly
    within the speed limits to ensure JzGyk fell asleep at the wheel.

    Conversation drifted to baggy lycra and a collection was started to buy the
    PSF some b**s****s from the remainders bins but quickly abandoned through lack of courage. Finally
    Carol's partner Rob came on-line to bring the chat room to its final count before Arthur, having
    finished all his food, had to go for his tea.

    Overall a great success - flame guns were kept holstered, ad hominen attacks stayed non-physical and
    t***p*ts was mentioned only once.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  2. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    > After weeks of build up and excitement the event that URC has been eagerly anticipating took place
    > yesterday at the York Rally.

    <snipped rest of report>

    LOL Really enjoyed reading that :)

    Thanks Tony.

    Pete

  3. Sounded great fun! It's most unreasonable of my offspring to have a GCSE tomorrow which meant we
    couldn't go to York!!!

    Cheers, helen s

    p.s. The PSF thinks a certain group troll doesn't require b*bs to be deserving of a good
    slabbing ;-)

    ~~~~~~~~~~
    h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$**o$l.c$$*o$*m*$ by getting rid of the
    overdependence on money and fame
    ~~~~~~~~~~

  4. Simon Galgut

    Simon Galgut Guest

    I was there, but had to depart before the URC meet. Did have a go on the 'Wobble Bike' though and
    managed to ride it more or less successfully. Fantastic weather and would have been a cheap day out
    but for the guys from Cannondale Europe selling last years team kit a very reasonable prices. Might
    even consider camping next year as long as the sun can be guaranteed !

    Regards Simon

  5. Phil Bixby

    Phil Bixby Guest

    Thanks for this posting Helen. As a result of knowing you wouldn't be there, I was at liberty to buy
    not one, but two pairs of b*bs***ts at less than half price from the Polaris stand without having to
    check furtively over my shoulder before doing so!

    Mind you, I suppose riding in 'em is still a different matter.... :eek:/

    Phil Bixby York, UK

    "wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Sounded great fun! It's most unreasonable of my offspring to have a GCSE tomorrow which meant we
    > couldn't go to York!!!
    >
    > Cheers, helen s
    >
    > p.s. The PSF thinks a certain group troll doesn't require b*bs to be
    deserving
    > of a good slabbing ;-)
    >
    > ~~~~~~~~~~
    > This is sent from a redundant email Mail sent to it is dumped My correct one can be gleaned from
    > h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$**o$l.c$$*o$*m*$ by getting rid of the
    > overdependence on money and fame
    > ~~~~~~~~~~

  6. M Series

    M Series Guest

    I attended yesterday but was a bit rushed after a busy morning shopping and odd jobbing. In fact
    didn't get to the Knavesmire until 15:20, sorry I missed you. I'm glad I went as I found Hard to
    Find and got my VAR 525 levers.

    > After weeks of build up and excitement the event that URC has been eagerly anticipating took place
    > yesterday at the York Rally. But while all that
    was
    > going on an event soon to be lost down the back of the sofa of history
    also
    > took place - the first URC chat room was hosted outside the food tent
    using
    > revolutionary liveware based acousto-optic networking protocols.
    >
    > Host Arthur set up at the food tent with a healthy carbo loading plate of steak and kidney pie,
    > chips and tomato ketchup (in reverse order of
    portion
    > size) and two covert URC signs. We sat and reminisced about old times
    until
    > half an hour later a big yellow banana carrying a CTC regulation moustache and trailing a massive
    > National Cycle Network flag shot across the peripheral vision and parked in the marquee wall. Just
    > zis Guy we (pretended not to) Know had arrived in Stinger style. The conversation drifted briefly
    > to P*** S**** but was bravely snatched back to normality
    (?)
    > just before the soap boxes were unpacked. Another half an hour and Carol Hague joined the chat
    > room. She was rapidly followed by Just zis Family you know who added to the weird and wonderful
    > collection of JzGyk bikes with a (whisper it) non-dark-side triplet. All had been rescued from
    their
    > normal parking place in JzGyk's kitchen and carried to York on the long suffering MDG driven
    > strictly within the speed limits to ensure JzGyk fell asleep at the wheel.
    >
    > Conversation drifted to baggy lycra and a collection was started to buy
    the
    > PSF some b**s****s from the remainders bins but quickly abandoned through lack of courage. Finally
    > Carol's partner Rob came on-line to
    bring
    > the chat room to its final count before Arthur, having finished all his food, had to go for
    > his tea.
    >
    > Overall a great success - flame guns were kept holstered, ad hominen
    attacks
    > stayed non-physical and t***p*ts was mentioned only once.
    >
    > Tony
    >
    > --
    > http://www.raven-family.com
    >
    > "All truth goes through three steps: First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed.
    > Finally, it is accepted as self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer

  7. Carol Hague

    Carol Hague Guest

    Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The conversation drifted briefly to P*** S****

    Paving slabs?

    > Overall a great success - flame guns were kept holstered, ad hominen attacks stayed non-physical
    > and t***p*ts was mentioned only once.

    Teapots?

    --
    Carol Hague

  8. Carol Hague

    Carol Hague Guest

    Simon Galgut <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I was there, but had to depart before the URC meet. Did have a go on the 'Wobble Bike' though and
    > managed to ride it more or less successfully. Fantastic weather and would have been a cheap day
    > out but for the guys from Cannondale Europe selling last years team kit a very reasonable prices.
    > Might even consider camping next year as long as the sun can be guaranteed !

    Just hope you don't get an almighty thunderstorm like the one we had this morning - sounded like
    someone was dropping paving slabs on teatrays directly above our tent. Argh!

    The weather was so appalling that we decided against going on the parade for the first time in about
    five years :-(

    --
    Carol Hague

  9. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On 22 Jun 2003 09:02:46 GMT, [email protected] (wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX) wrote:

    >Sounded great fun! It's most unreasonable of my offspring to have a GCSE tomorrow which meant we
    >couldn't go to York!!!

    Absolutely - there was some world-class target practice available. A fat bloke wearing bibs, sunburn
    and no jersey, for example. Even I would have slabbed him :)

    Guy
    ===

  10. Seamus

    Seamus New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2003
    Ahh. So he was the enthusiast on the Optima Stinger proclaiming the death-knell of upwrongs.

    Decided I need a Super-Soaker water pistol mounted on the handlebars of my Challenge Mistral for for next years (the last ever) Cyclefest.

  11. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 09:11:18 +0100, "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >After weeks of build up and excitement the event that URC has been eagerly anticipating took place
    >yesterday at the York Rally.

    Excellent and almost accurate report, Tony :)

    Sorry I vanished - I did come back, but you'd gorn. I had to go and do "family stuff," as you do.

    The upwrong triplet is a temporary measure: Peter and Michael both spent most of their time on the
    Trice stand riding recumbent trikes. And I got to talk to Mike Burrows, which was nice.

    It's a great rally. The poor old MDG had a bit of bother up the long hills homeward, even with
    155bhp on tap - the triplet and the 'bent on the roof, three bikes on a rack on the back, plus four
    people and a tent inside. But I think we'll be back.

    Guy
    ===

  12. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    M Series <[email protected]> wrote:
    : I attended yesterday but was a bit rushed after a busy morning shopping and odd jobbing. In fact
    : didn't get to the Knavesmire until 15:20, sorry I missed you. I'm glad I went as I found Hard to
    : Find and got my VAR 525 levers.

    There's always next year!

    Thanks to those who came, and the rest of you, book next year now and then we'll get loadsa people.

    Arthur

    Lord Lester

  13. Simon Ward

    Simon Ward Guest

    Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:

    [snip]
    > Host Arthur set up at the food tent with a healthy carbo loading plate of steak and kidney pie,
    > chips and tomato ketchup (in reverse order of portion size) and two covert URC signs.
    They must have been covert, since I never saw 'em. Oh well. That said, I kept a low profile (or as
    low a profile as someone built like me can keep) and spent much of my time in either the stewards
    tent, occasionally doing steward-y type things, or on the AUK stand in the club tent.

    For the second year off the trot we had superb weather, and despite the mega-thunderstorm on
    Sunday morning it turned out very nice indeed. Shurely shome mishtake?[1]

    Simon

    [1] - The first rally I went to was 1996, shortly after I moved up here - to say it rained would be
    a criminal understatement.

    --
    Simon Ward, Accent Optical Technologies (UK) Ltd., York, YO31 8SD, UK "I took the fall, now you take
    the lead..." - 'Prostate', Ned's Atomic Dustbin

  14. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On 23 Jun 2003 18:30:32 +0950, Seamus <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Ahh. So he was the enthusiast on the Optima Stinger proclaiming the death-knell of upwrongs.

    Who else could it possibly have been?

    I was just tying the steed up for the night and someone came past and said "are you Guy Chapman?" -
    fame at last!

    Guy
    ===

  15. John B

    John B Guest

    "Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

    > On 23 Jun 2003 18:30:32 +0950, Seamus <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Ahh. So he was the enthusiast on the Optima Stinger proclaiming the death-knell of upwrongs.
    >
    > Who else could it possibly have been?
    >
    > I was just tying the steed up for the night and someone came past and said "are you Guy Chapman?"
    > - fame at last!

    Are you sure he wasn't a solicitor with a writ in his hand, just checking identity?

    John B

  16. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On 23 Jun 2003 09:47:29 GMT, Simon Ward <[email protected]> wrote:

    > They must have been covert, since I never saw 'em. Oh well.

    Nobody was wearing fluorescent yellow, I can't imagine why we were invisible.

    Guy
    ===

  17. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Simon Ward <[email protected]> wrote:
    : They must have been covert, since I never saw 'em. Oh well.

    I was sat by them, so you'd have seen me. Though it was a few minutes at 3.30 when I got sat outside
    (had to queue for food)

    Arhtur

    Lord Lester

  18. Thus spake Simon Ward <[email protected]>

    > [1] - The first rally I went to was 1996, shortly after I moved up here - to say it rained would
    > be a criminal understatement.

    I stayed in the Swallow Hotel in 1997. Worth every one of the very many pennies.

    I'm a lot redder/browner than before the weekend...

  19. Carol Hague

    Carol Hague Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I was just tying the steed up for the night and someone came past and said "are you Guy Chapman?"
    > - fame at last!

    Fame, or infamy ? :)

    --
    Carol Hague

  20. M Series

    M Series Guest

    My first York Rally was 1987 I think, may have been '88. I drove up from London on Friday night and
    pitched the tent in the pouring rain ! Thankfully Saturday & Sunday were sunny.

    I forgot to say in my other posting I will most likely re-join the CTC next for my LeJoG - get my
    tourer ship shape too.

    news:[email protected]...