YOU CAN CONTROL DIABETES!

"Alan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 07:23:39 -0700, "Patricia1966wa"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > thanks Alan. Thanks a lot.
> >
> >Patricia
>
> Said with the best of intentions. I still like success
> stories. I've been where you are; I know how hard the
> addictions, both smokes and foods, can be to break. No
> sermons; I just know you can do it.

I wish to f^&k *I* could do it Al!!

Beav

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 21:18:36 +0100, "Beav"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Alan" <[email protected]> wrote in
>message news:[email protected]...
>> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 07:23:39 -0700, "Patricia1966wa"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> > thanks Alan. Thanks a lot.
>> >
>> >Patricia
>>
>> Said with the best of intentions. I still like success
>> stories. I've been where you are; I know how hard the
>> addictions, both smokes and foods, can be to break. No
>> sermons; I just know you can do it.
>
>I wish to f^&k *I* could do it Al!!
>
>Beav

Hi Beav and Patricia

Try the method John Cleese used in an anti-smoking ad out
here. Get an old screw-top jam jar, half fill it with water,
and put all your butts in it until it's full. Put it aside
somewhere to mature.

Then, when you make that oft-repeated decision "bugger it -
I'm giving up!" throw your pack away but get the jam-jar out
and keep it near you.

Every time you get the urge, take the lid off the jar and
sniff deeply.

Keep a bucket nearby for the first few times :)

Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia. Remove weight and
carbs to email.

"Beav" <[email protected]> writes:

>"Alan" <[email protected]> wrote in
>message news:[email protected]...
>> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 07:23:39 -0700, "Patricia1966wa"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> > thanks Alan. Thanks a lot.
>> >
>> >Patricia
>>
>> Said with the best of intentions. I still like success
>> stories. I've been where you are; I know how hard the
>> addictions, both smokes and foods, can be to break. No
>> sermons; I just know you can do it.

>I wish to f^&k *I* could do it Al!!

Stopping smoking is hard, because modern cigarrette tobacco
is crack tobacco - they treat it the same way one treats
cocaine to make it crack cocaine. Makes it much more
addictive. Helps to keep profits up. Do you really want to
keep lining the pockets of these legal dope dealers?

I think I probably stopped about twelve times before I got
the hang of
it. My method was simply to add 15 mins each day to the time
I smoked my first one. The easy bit was stopping. The
hard bit was staying stopped. Aerobic exercise helps,
because the effects of having been stopped for a week
are very obvious, and the effects of starting again are
very obvious. I found a long staircase on the way to
work which I could just manage to walk up at a brisk
pace without stopping when I wasn't smoking. When I was
smoking it was impossible, I had to stop before one of
my legs, heart, or lungs, exploded.

I finally stopped by shooting them. I took a half finished
pack of cigs, and shot it to bits with an air pistol. I then
nailed the resulting shattered mess to the wall. When people
asked me what it was I said "It's a warning. They were
trying to kill me. The next packet that tries it gets the
same treatment."

A joke. Also a ritual which impressed me and I hope made me
fear cigarrettes. It made it embarrassing for me to start
again, and it reminded me of the consequences of smoking.

That was 30 years ago. It took about twenty years before I
stopped lusting after a cigarrette every time I smelt one.
And sometimes I fell and smoked one. But I had also
discovered what for me was the golden rule of staying
stopped. I had discovered my own threshold of addiction. I
could smoke up to three cigarrettes in one day, provided
that I did not smoke again for at least two days. If I kept
within those bounds I didn't get re-addicted, and could be
naughty now and then, usually when getting drunk.

So after I stopped I actually still smoked, but at an
average rate of about 1 cigarrette a month, in the form
of a burst of a few every few months, almost always
when drinking.

The last one was some years ago. Three? Seven? Can't
remember.

[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 Alan wrote:

>Every time you get the urge, take the lid off the jar and
>sniff deeply.

Plan B: Have a handy friend who smokes IN HIS/HER CAR, and
who leaves the car's ashtray full overnight .... when The
Urge strikes, ask said friend for a ride to the store ......
<gag> El Stinko !!!!

I'm so pleased that when I was about 18, (and a somewhat
impecunious apprentice) there was a short time during which
I could only afford tobacco OR fuel for my vehicle .... and
I couldn't manage without said fuel ....

--

]- "I am a man of many parts, ]- unfortunately most of them
are no longer in stock" ]-

"Alan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 21:18:36 +0100, "Beav"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >"Alan" <[email protected]> wrote in
> >message
> >news:[email protected]...

> >> Said with the best of intentions. I still like success
> >> stories. I've been where you are; I know how hard the
> >> addictions, both smokes and foods, can be to break. No
> >> sermons; I just know you can do it.
> >
> >I wish to f^&k *I* could do it Al!!
> >
> >Beav
> >

> Hi Beav and Patricia
>
> Try the method John Cleese used in an anti-smoking ad out
> here. Get an old screw-top jam jar, half fill it with
> water, and put all your butts in it until it's full. Put
> it aside somewhere to mature.
>
> Then, when you make that oft-repeated decision "bugger it
> - I'm giving up!" throw your pack away but get the jam-jar
> out and keep it near you.
>
> Every time you get the urge, take the lid off the jar and
> sniff deeply.
>
> Keep a bucket nearby for the first few times :)

Wouldn't work Al, I like that smell :-(

Beav

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 17:03:11 +0100, "Beav"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Wouldn't work Al, I like that smell :-(
>

>Beav

It never used to bother me. One of the things people used to
tell me before I gave up was that my senses would all
improve, particularly smell.

They were right. What they neglected to mention was that the
bad smells in the world vastly out-number the pleasant ones.

I gag now when I walk into a smoke-filled room. On my trip
through Europe it took quite a while to get used to the
constant odour of smokes, after years of smoke-free dining
rooms and public areas in Australia.

Balancing that, the improvement in my sense of taste helped
enjoyment of smaller serves of different foods when I
started on my diet after diagnosis.

Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia. Remove weight and
carbs to email.

ohhhhhhhhh....... great idea..... I will make myself sick!
Not bad thinking.

Patricia "Alan" <[email protected]> wrote
in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 21:18:36 +0100, "Beav"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>"Alan" <[email protected]> wrote in
>>message news:[email protected]...

>>> Said with the best of intentions. I still like success
>>> stories. I've been where you are; I know how hard the
>>> addictions, both smokes and foods, can be to break. No
>>> sermons; I just know you can do it.
>>
>>I wish to f^&k *I* could do it Al!!
>>
>>Beav
>>

> Hi Beav and Patricia
>
> Try the method John Cleese used in an anti-smoking ad out
> here. Get an old screw-top jam jar, half fill it with
> water, and put all your butts in it until it's full. Put
> it aside somewhere to mature.
>
> Then, when you make that oft-repeated decision "bugger it
> - I'm giving up!" throw your pack away but get the jam-jar
> out and keep it near you.
>
> Every time you get the urge, take the lid off the jar and
> sniff deeply.
>
> Keep a bucket nearby for the first few times :)
>

> Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia. Remove weight and carbs
> to email.
> --
> Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.

I am really proud of you, the bottom line is we just have to
not smoke. I am struggling but I am doing it. I am ok, my
family is hating me right now, but they understand.

Patricia

news:[email protected]...