You don't own a car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bill Meredith

How many of you guys had run into a look of shock and the question "Don't you own a car?" when
someone find out that you had used a bike for a trip of 20 miles or so instead of a car?

Been a fairly common happening in my life, not even counting the reactions of my co-workers when I
used my trek 520 for the 35 miles round trip to work, a few times a month.

It does not seem to help to point out that it one hell of a good way of getting exercise and saving
on gas and wear and tear on a car at the same time.

Bill

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Bill Meredith) wrote:

> How many of you guys had run into a look of shock and the question "Don't you own a car?" when
> someone find out that you had used a bike for a trip of 20 miles or so instead of a car?

Not for a 20-mile trip...I must confess, I've never made a trip that long on a bike...but yes, when
I take a bus.

> Been a fairly common happening in my life, not even counting the reactions of my co-workers when I
> used my trek 520 for the 35 miles round trip to work, a few times a month.
>
> It does not seem to help to point out that it one hell of a good way of getting exercise and
> saving on gas and wear and tear on a car at the same time.
>
> Bill

Or to point out the high price of gas, either, eh?

You should see what it's like when you actually have to say "No, I don't have a car." Unless you
happen to live somewhere like New York City, the next thing you get is the dumb stare and the words
"But how do you LIVE????"
--
Trudi "Just like Pagliacci did..."--Smokey Robinson
____
Say NO to secret judging and corruption in skating -- support SkateFAIR! http://www.skatefair.org

On 27 May 2003 17:04:16 -0700, [email protected] (Bill Meredith) ranted:

>How many of you guys had run into a look of shock and the question "Don't you own a car?" when
>someone find out that you had used a bike for a trip of 20 miles or so instead of a car?

Never happened to me. I usually get asked about the computer, the HRM or other appliances on
my bike. Or I am congratulated on my keeping fit by cycling (and running.) When I was
commuting to my precinct by bike, I got nothing but pats on the back. Well, maybe some
remarks about wearing tights, but after pointing out that the entire NY Jets pro football
team also wears tights, those remarks ended. Move to NY, Bill. You are living where morons
rule. Sincerely, Ken (NY) Chairman, Department Of Redundancy Department

-Anonymous

[email protected] (Bill Meredith) wrote:

> How many of you guys had run into a look of shock and the question "Don't you own a car?" when
> someone find out that you had used a bike for a trip of 20 miles or so instead of a car?

I don't know how many times people have offered me a ride in their car when they see me mounting my
bike to get somewhere.

RFM
--
To reply, translate domain from l33+ 2p33|< to alpha. 4=a 0=o 3=e +=t

I have had people surprised to hear I ride an incredible 5 miles to work.

They were also shocked to hear I spent $550 on a bike.

I tell them its less time than they spend on the treadmill of bike at the gym, and over my route to
work, cycling is half as fast as driving, but costs me nothing because I bought it as fitness
equipment; the transportation is free.

"Bill Meredith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> Been a fairly common happening in my life, not even counting the reactions of my co-workers when I
> used my trek 520 for the 35 miles round trip to work, a few times a month.
>
> It does not seem to help to point out that it one hell of a good way of getting exercise and
> saving on gas and wear and tear on a car at the same time.
>
> Bill

Robert Haston wrote:
>
> I have had people surprised to hear I ride an incredible 5 miles to work.
>
> They were also shocked to hear I spent $550 on a bike.

What do these people say when you ask, "How much do your shoes cost? Now how much do you think a
bike should cost?"

Stergios

Everything you guys say is so true. I ride my city bike shopping, post office and anything
else I want to do around this small town (maybe 10 miles around) and a lot of people look at
me like I'm nuts.

I think Ridgecrest is the ride to work capitol of the states. And we have a RAM team almost
every year.

Burr Diamondback Road Bike REI Touring Bike Schwinn City Bike So. California Deserts

Fritz M wrote:

> [email protected] (Bill Meredith) wrote:
>
> > How many of you guys had run into a look of shock and the question "Don't you own a car?" when
> > someone find out that you had used a bike for a trip of 20 miles or so instead of a car?
>
> I don't know how many times people have offered me a ride in their car when they see me mounting
> my bike to get somewhere.
>
> RFM
> --
> To reply, translate domain from l33+ 2p33|< to alpha. 4=a 0=o 3=e +=t

My brother and I had two offers of a ride while riding thru the fabulous Titus Canyon from Nevada
down into Death Valley in California. The drivers were very nice and perfectly sincere. They felt
sorry for us cranking thru the mountains on bicycles. Of course, we had parked a fine 4 x 4 and got
on our wheels for a real pleasure ride! Go figger. Bernie
PS: Guy, is this irony?

On Wed, 28 May 2003 11:58:59 +0100, Trudi Marrapodi wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Bill
> Meredith) wrote:
>
>> How many of you guys had run into a look of shock and the question "Don't you own a car?" when
>> someone find out that you had used a bike for a trip of 20 miles or so instead of a car?
<snip>
>> It does not seem to help to point out that it one hell of a good way of getting exercise and
>> saving on gas and wear and tear on a car at the same time.
> Or to point out the high price of gas, either, eh?

In the US!!! Or am I missing the point...

> You should see what it's like when you actually have to say "No, I don't have a car." Unless you
> happen to live somewhere like New York City, the next thing you get is the dumb stare and the
> words "But how do you LIVE????"

Yep! Lived there, had that conversation... and that's in the UK.

Still... I would prefer to cycle 20 miles in some rural areas more than 3 or 4 in some cities (and
it would take less time)...
--
Cheers, Kester

People rarely ask me if I own a car, but they are suprised to find out I don't, and that I ride or
walk most everywhere.

I normally telecommute to work, which is 50 miles away, but occasionally I will ride up, largely
just for the sake of doing it. Not many people necessarily understand why anyone would want to do
such a thing, but it does impress them.

> I have had people surprised to hear I ride an incredible 5 miles to work.

I used to live about 1.5 miles from a job, and got a similar response.

> They were also shocked to hear I spent $550 on a bike.

Ditto again, although my most recent purchase was about $800. People somehow assume you've either
lost your mind or were the victim of a really good salesperson. These same people will spend
hundreds of dollars on repairs and maintenance for their cars....

Robert Oliver wrote:
>>I have had people surprised to hear I ride an incredible 5 miles to work.
>
>
> I used to live about 1.5 miles from a job, and got a similar response.
>
>
>>They were also shocked to hear I spent $550 on a bike.
>
>
> Ditto again, although my most recent purchase was about $800. People somehow assume you've either
> lost your mind or were the victim of a really good salesperson. These same people will spend
> hundreds of dollars on repairs and maintenance for their cars....

That's part of why I like living here, despite certain other elements of the local character and the
current ridiculous job market. Salt Lake is a very "outdoorsy" town, and most people recognize the
value of a good bike, and that they're good for riding long distances.

Where do you people find these clueless types (not that there certainly aren't some of those here).

--
--
Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP in
charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

> That's part of why I like living here, despite certain other elements of the local character and
> the current ridiculous job market. Salt Lake is a very "outdoorsy" town, and most people recognize
> the value of a good bike, and that they're good for riding long distances.
>
> Where do you people find these clueless types (not that there certainly aren't some of
> those here).

Maine is an "outdoorsy" state, but there are plenty of coach potatoes as well, and they cannot
comprehend the notion of moving from point A to B in anything other than a car.

I get offered rides all the time, and most people just don't understand why I would choose to ride a
bike when I could ride in a car.

>> You should see what it's like when you actually have to say "No, I don't have a car." Unless
>> you happen to live somewhere like New York City, the next thing you get is the dumb stare and
>> the words "But how do you LIVE????"
You want to try telling people you haven't had a television set for over 20 years. They all start
backing away from you....

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] wrote:

> .
> >> You should see what it's like when you actually have to say "No, I don't have a car." Unless
> >> you happen to live somewhere like New York City, the next thing you get is the dumb stare
> >> and the words "But how do you LIVE????"
> You want to try telling people you haven't had a television set for over
20 years. They
> all start backing away from you....

Too bad. I can only imagine all the time I might have spent doing other things if I had no TV. Then
again, I don't watch it all that much, and I tend to get left out of conversations that start with
"hey, did you see the latest episode of _______"? Or "Remember that episode of ________ where...?"
--
____
Say NO to secret judging and corruption in skating -- support SkateFAIR! http://www.skatefair.org

On Sat, 07 Jun 2003 08:38:46 +0100, [email protected] ranted:

>.
> >> You should see what it's like when you actually have to say "No, I don't have a car." Unless
> >> you happen to live somewhere like New York City, the next thing you get is the dumb stare and
> >> the words "But how do you LIVE????"
>You want to try telling people you haven't had a television set for over 20 years. They all start
>backing away from you....

<backs away slowly, smiling nervously> Er, cheers, Ken (NY) Chairman, Vast Right Wing
Conspiracy Bureau, Department Of Redundancy Department

"What a waste it is to lose one's mind. Or not to have a mind is being very wasteful. How true that
is." -- Vice President Al Gore

Q: What the hardest thing about rollerblading?
R: Telling your parents you’re gay.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Trudi Marrapodi) wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] wrote:
>
> > .
> > >> You should see what it's like when you actually have to say "No, I don't have a car."
> > >> Unless you happen to live somewhere like New York City, the next thing you get is the dumb
> > >> stare and the words "But how do you LIVE????"
> > You want to try telling people you haven't had a television set for over
> 20 years. They
> > all start backing away from you....
>
> Too bad. I can only imagine all the time I might have spent doing other things if I had no TV.
> Then again, I don't watch it all that much, and I tend to get left out of conversations that start
> with "hey, did you see the latest episode of _______"? Or "Remember that episode of ________
> where...?"

I have a TV set... to watch the Giro Italia, the Tour de France, and other great sports like the
America¹s Cup, or the Masters, etc. etc .etc.

HAND

--
³Freedom Is a Light for Which Many Have Died in Darkness³

- Tomb of the unknown - American Revolution

On Sat, 07 Jun 2003 11:21:41 -0400, [email protected] (Trudi Marrapodi) wrote:

>I can only imagine all the time I might have spent doing other things if I had no TV. Then again, I
>don't watch it all that much

Heh! Nothing personal, Trudi, but whenever a non-watcher mentions not watching TV that's what
*everyone* says! There sure are a lot of poeple not watching much TV out there :)

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
dynamic DNS permitting)
NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
work. Apologies.

[email protected] wrote:

> You want to try telling people you haven't had a television set for over 20 years. They all start
> backing away from you....

Cool, I haven't had a television set since 1984.

RFM
--
To reply, translate domain from l33+ 2p33|< to alpha. 4=a 0=o 3=e +=t

In article <[email protected]>, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sat, 07 Jun 2003 11:21:41 -0400, [email protected] (Trudi Marrapodi) wrote:
>
> >I can only imagine all the time I might have spent doing other things if I had no TV. Then again,
> >I don't watch it all that much
>
> Heh! Nothing personal, Trudi, but whenever a non-watcher mentions not watching TV that's what
> *everyone* says! There sure are a lot of poeple not watching much TV out there :)

I know. I probably watch more than I admit to...but that's only because I watch more than I used to,
say, 10 years ago!
--
____

Status
Not open for further replies.