You ever been skelped by a belt on your bike?

Your cycling along and this ruffian justs kabooms you with a big belt.
The poor wee guy on the bike got it right on his chest, and fell
backwards, clutching his chest.

Look out for that kind of activity.

[email protected] said the following on 09/05/2007 14:58:
> Your cycling along and this ruffian justs kabooms you with a big belt.
> The poor wee guy on the bike got it right on his chest, and fell
> backwards, clutching his chest.

You really do post some bizarre things. Do you live in Baghdad or
somewhere? If cycling is as bad where you live as you often make out,
you really should consider moving.

> Look out for that kind of activity.

Thanks, but there really is no need.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

On Wed, 9 May 2007, Paul Boyd wrote:
>> Your cycling along and this ruffian justs kabooms you with a big belt.
>> The poor wee guy on the bike got it right on his chest, and fell
>> backwards, clutching his chest.

> You really do post some bizarre things. Do you live in Baghdad or somewhere?

I wouldn't be suprised to see it happen in several parts of the UK.

> If cycling is as bad where you live as you often make out, you really should
> consider moving.

Ah yes, that's the answer, don't try to tackle the probem that the streets
are full of rather violent scum, no, that's too much effort - move away
from them and send the signal that violence works.

Why should he be forced to move? Why not try to actually fix the problem
instead? It's hardly suprising that kids (and adults) go around
terrorising the neighbours in this country when the best solution we can
come up with is "sod it, let them win".
--
Chris Johns

"Chris Johns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Wed, 9 May 2007, Paul Boyd wrote:
>>> Your cycling along and this ruffian justs kabooms you with a big belt.
>>> The poor wee guy on the bike got it right on his chest, and fell
>>> backwards, clutching his chest.

>> You really do post some bizarre things. Do you live in Baghdad or
>> somewhere?

> I wouldn't be suprised to see it happen in several parts of the UK.
>
>> If cycling is as bad where you live as you often make out, you really
>> should consider moving.

> Ah yes, that's the answer, don't try to tackle the probem that the streets
> are full of rather violent scum, no, that's too much effort - move away
> from them and send the signal that violence works.
>
> Why should he be forced to move? Why not try to actually fix the problem
> instead? It's hardly suprising that kids (and adults) go around
> terrorising the neighbours in this country when the best solution we can
> come up with is "sod it, let them win".

Chris, go through David Chase's past messages. I also truly believe he
should move somewhere alse and give up cycling. His life would be far more
pleasant.

On Wed, 9 May 2007 17:37:06 +0100, "elyob" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> Why should he be forced to move? Why not try to actually fix the problem
>> instead? It's hardly suprising that kids (and adults) go around
>> terrorising the neighbours in this country when the best solution we can
>> come up with is "sod it, let them win".

>Chris, go through David Chase's past messages. I also truly believe he
>should move somewhere alse and give up cycling. His life would be far more
>pleasant.

When I read the original post I checked the header to see which groups
it was cross-posted to, then I realised who the poster was and it all
made sense. Does he spend all his time thinking of the most dreadful
things that could ever happen to a cyclist?

"I was riding along the Hampshire coast and there was an earthquake
and I could have been *killed*, so don't ride a bike just in case."

Judith

Judith wrote on 09/05/2007 17:42 +0100:
> On Wed, 9 May 2007 17:37:06 +0100, "elyob" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>> Why should he be forced to move? Why not try to actually fix the problem
>>> instead? It's hardly suprising that kids (and adults) go around
>>> terrorising the neighbours in this country when the best solution we can
>>> come up with is "sod it, let them win".

>> Chris, go through David Chase's past messages. I also truly believe he
>> should move somewhere alse and give up cycling. His life would be far more
>> pleasant.

> When I read the original post I checked the header to see which groups
> it was cross-posted to, then I realised who the poster was and it all
> made sense. Does he spend all his time thinking of the most dreadful
> things that could ever happen to a cyclist?
>
> "I was riding along the Hampshire coast and there was an earthquake
> and I could have been *killed*, so don't ride a bike just in case."
>
> Judith

I imagine its actually quite difficult if not impossible to do that with
a belt from a moving car. No room to swing it plus the differential
velocity makes it very difficult to hit the front of someone with a
swung belt.

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

Tony Raven wrote:
> I imagine its actually quite difficult if not impossible to do that with
> a belt from a moving car. No room to swing it plus the differential
> velocity makes it very difficult to hit the front of someone with a
> swung belt.

I'm pretty sure the fictional assault referred to was done by a
pedestrian. But you can't be sure.

On 09/05/2007 17:15, Chris Johns said,

> Ah yes, that's the answer, don't try to tackle the probem that the
> streets are full of rather violent scum, no, that's too much effort -
> move away from them and send the signal that violence works.

Have you read David's previous posts? It seems that every single thing
that could possibly happen to someone has happened to him. It's got to
the point where it's really not believable any more. At the very least
he needs to change his routes - most of these assaults or advances seem
to keep happening in the same place.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Paul Boyd wrote on 09/05/2007 18:24 +0100:

> At the very least
> he needs to change his routes - most of these assaults or advances seem
> to keep happening in the same place.

In his mind?

--

Paul Boyd wrote:
> [email protected] said the following on 09/05/2007 14:58:
>> Your cycling along and this ruffian justs kabooms you with a big belt.
>> The poor wee guy on the bike got it right on his chest, and fell
>> backwards, clutching his chest.

> You really do post some bizarre things. Do you live in Baghdad or
> somewhere? If cycling is as bad where you live as you often make out,
> you really should consider moving.
>
>> Look out for that kind of activity.

> Thanks, but there really is no need.

please don't encourage him to move.... he might end up on one of "our"
streets!

On 9 May, 18:32, Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
> Paul Boyd wrote on 09/05/2007 18:24 +0100:
>

> > At the very least
> > he needs to change his routes - most of these assaults or advances seem
> > to keep happening in the same place.

> In his mind?
>
> --
> Tony
>
> "The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
> is no good evidence either way."
> - Bertrand Russell

Can we not let this be tha last word on this pointles thread? Don't
give this guy any more of you rprcious time?
The worst i have had is motorist coming up behind you and screaming in
you rear catching yo unawares.

thin veneer wrote on 09/05/2007 18:54 +0100:

> Can we not let this be tha last word on this pointles thread?

Ye....whoops, damn! ;-)

--

Chris Johns wrote:
> Ah yes, that's the answer, don't try to tackle the probem that the
> streets are full of rather violent scum, no, that's too much effort -
> move away from them and send the signal that violence works.
>
> Why should he be forced to move? Why not try to actually fix the
> problem instead? It's hardly suprising that kids (and adults) go
> around terrorising the neighbours in this country when the best
> solution we can come up with is "sod it, let them win".

Problem? David Chase getting skelped is a problem?

~PB

Paul Boyd <usenet.dont.work@plusnet>typed

> [email protected] said the following on 09/05/2007 14:58:
> > Your cycling along and this ruffian justs kabooms you with a big belt.
> > The poor wee guy on the bike got it right on his chest, and fell
> > backwards, clutching his chest.

> You really do post some bizarre things. Do you live in Baghdad or
> somewhere? If cycling is as bad where you live as you often make out,
> you really should consider moving.

> > Look out for that kind of activity.

> Thanks, but there really is no need.

I think that is unfair. I think the OP lives in Glasgow, which I found
*horrible* in many ways as a cyclist 18 years ago.

I suspect it's still horrible.

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

"Ambrose Nankivell" <firstname+'n'@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Tony Raven wrote:
>> I imagine its actually quite difficult if not impossible to do that with
>> a belt from a moving car. No room to swing it plus the differential
>> velocity makes it very difficult to hit the front of someone with a swung
>> belt.
>>

> I'm pretty sure the fictional assault referred to was done by a
> pedestrian. But you can't be sure.

Wondering how its possible to whack someone in the chest with a belt when
cycling normally.
To crack the belt in such awsay that it enters the gap between arms and
chest must require some skill.

Unless the OP was cycling no hands at the time.

Niall

Paul Boyd <[email protected]>typed

> On 09/05/2007 17:15, Chris Johns said,

> > Ah yes, that's the answer, don't try to tackle the probem that the
> > streets are full of rather violent scum, no, that's too much effort -
> > move away from them and send the signal that violence works.

> Have you read David's previous posts? It seems that every single thing
> that could possibly happen to someone has happened to him. It's got to
> the point where it's really not believable any more. At the very least
> he needs to change his routes - most of these assaults or advances seem
> to keep happening in the same place.

Try cycling in Glasgow, like the OP (who might have some troll-like
traits, I admit.)

In two years there, I had:

- A bicycle stolen in my first week
- My D-lock superglued
- My saddle and seat-post stolen (despite quick release replaced with
Releasy cam)
- My pedal stolen
- A drawing pin pushed into a tyre while I shopped at Safeway
- More intimidation on the roads than in other cities

At the time I lived in Glasgow, I had already gained over a dozen years
experience of adult cycling, so I wasn't inexperienced.

I still think it's a horrid place and am happily settled in London...

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

In article <[email protected]>, Helen Deborah
Vecht
[email protected] says...

> I think that is unfair. I think the OP lives in Glasgow, which I found
> *horrible* in many ways as a cyclist 18 years ago.
>
> I suspect it's still horrible.

Maybe he should confine his activities to uk.local.glasgow, as nobody
else seems to find his posts helpful and the novelty is starting to wear
off.

"Rob Morley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Helen Deborah
> Vecht
> [email protected] says...
>

>> I think that is unfair. I think the OP lives in Glasgow, which I found
>> *horrible* in many ways as a cyclist 18 years ago.
>>
>> I suspect it's still horrible.
>>

> Maybe he should confine his activities to uk.local.glasgow, as nobody
> else seems to find his posts helpful and the novelty is starting to wear
> off.

Someone posted a warning about the nature of the Op's postings. Apparently
he's also an 'offender' in other nesgroups.

> I think that is unfair. I think the OP lives in Glasgow, which I found
> *horrible* in many ways as a cyclist 18 years ago.
>
> I suspect it's still horrible.

No Worries Helen, I've been cycling here for the past 30 years and I
can count on the fingers of one hand the problems I've had AND I
commute into the West End pretty much the same way as 'Nutter' Chase
and never seen him or his problems.

Traffic is pretty heavy but behaviour is no worse than anywhere else.

Cheers,
Robert

On 10 May, 09:06, BigRab <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I think that is unfair. I think the OP lives in Glasgow, which I found
> > *horrible* in many ways as a cyclist 18 years ago.

> > I suspect it's still horrible.

> No Worries Helen, I've been cycling here for the past 30 years and I
> can count on the fingers of one hand the problems I've had AND I
> commute into the West End pretty much the same way as 'Nutter' Chase
> and never seen him or his problems.

You try going from People's Palace in Glasgow Green to Carmyle any day
of the week.