You guys need a moderator! (A user rant, not a troll post.)

It's Chris

Guest
>me: climbing on soapbox

It seems you can't go more than fifteen replies without sombody starting
a flame war. God forbid a troll posts something, within a week you have
a thread 1200 replies long, none of it usefull to anyone except the
troll who once again has sopped the fools into his web. This despite the
fact that "everyone" says "just ignore it, he'll go away". But no body
does. And he keep winning.

I pity the newbie that comes here for the first time, posts an inoocent
question in the hopes of some friendly advice, only to discover a few
days later he has started a war!

I'm able to ignore these, if I see insults being thrown I simply skip to
the next reply in the hopes of finding something usefull. No temptation,
no sin. why can't you? My NG reader doesn't collapse threads (one of
it's shortomings), which meand I haf to plow through thousands of
replies in a ruined thread to get to the next topic. That's the main
reason for my rant.

Strangly enough, someone posts spam and that DOES get ignored. Two
replies, max, and it sinks into oblivion.

>me: stepping down from box :-3)

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

My website:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

"It's Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >me: climbing on soapbox

> It seems you can't go more than fifteen replies without sombody starting
> a flame war. God forbid a troll posts something, within a week you have
> a thread 1200 replies long, none of it usefull to anyone except the
> troll who once again has sopped the fools into his web. This despite the
> fact that "everyone" says "just ignore it, he'll go away". But no body
> does. And he keep winning.
>
> I pity the newbie that comes here for the first time, posts an inoocent
> question in the hopes of some friendly advice, only to discover a few
> days later he has started a war!
>
> I'm able to ignore these, if I see insults being thrown I simply skip to
> the next reply in the hopes of finding something usefull. No temptation,
> no sin. why can't you? My NG reader doesn't collapse threads (one of
> it's shortomings), which meand I haf to plow through thousands of
> replies in a ruined thread to get to the next topic. That's the main
> reason for my rant.
>
> Strangly enough, someone posts spam and that DOES get ignored. Two
> replies, max, and it sinks into oblivion.
>
>>me: stepping down from box :-3)

> - -
> Compliments of:
> "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"
>
> If you want to E-mail me use:
> ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net
>
> My website:
> http://geocities.com/czcorner

thi site is full of absolutely marvelous persons with deep and sensitive
knowledge of english, sophisticated grammatical knowledge, addicted to being
right and in control, unmetaled, chock full of disaprovals and utterly
fantastic

i encourage others especially newbies to come here and become informed
knowledge of bicycling is a totally different thing--here are the best

fwiw

"It's Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >me: climbing on soapbox

> (snip)
> It seems you can't go more than fifteen replies without sombody starting
> a flame war. >
>>me: stepping down from box :-3)

> - -
> Compliments of:
> "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"
>
> If you want to E-mail me use:
> ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net
>
> My website:
> http://geocities.com/czcorner

I continue to think RBM and RBT are quite well behaved, by Usenet newsgroup
standards. I don't have any trouble ignoring threads which do not interest
me.

There are plenty of dysfunctional newsgroups, but I would not include
RBM/RBT in that category.

J.

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 18:45:35 -0600, "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"It's Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> >me: climbing on soapbox

>> (snip)
>> It seems you can't go more than fifteen replies without sombody starting
>> a flame war. >
>>>me: stepping down from box :-3)

>> - -
>> Compliments of:
>> "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"
>>
>> If you want to E-mail me use:
>> ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net
>>
>> My website:
>> http://geocities.com/czcorner
>>

>I continue to think RBM and RBT are quite well behaved, by Usenet newsgroup
>standards. I don't have any trouble ignoring threads which do not interest
>me.
>
>There are plenty of dysfunctional newsgroups, but I would not include
>RBM/RBT in that category.

You've got that right!

Chris is really complaining about webtv rather than Usenet.

Most unmoderated blogs or comment sections of any popular media that
has a presence on the web, and most unmoderated HTML based forums,
show the same rapid degeneracy of topical dialogue you'll find in any
Usenet groups. Wankers are everywhere. It's perpetually September.

Usenet is the first and last great outpost of our human right to free
speech.
--
zk

>...Wankers are everywhere...

> zk

What, are you some kind of reactionary right-wing religious zealot? IF
people want to **** in the privacy of their own bed/bathrooms what
business it of yours? I suspect that you are actually a closeted
****** yourself and your habitual denigration of same is merely an
attempt to disguise the fact.

DennisTheBald wrote:
>> ...Wankers are everywhere...

>> zk

> What, are you some kind of reactionary right-wing religious zealot? IF
> people want to **** in the privacy of their own bed/bathrooms what
> business it of yours? I suspect that you are actually a closeted
> ****** yourself and your habitual denigration of same is merely an
> attempt to disguise the fact.

It is apparently illegal to do so with the aid of a bicycle in Scotland,
even behind a locked hotel door:
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/7095134.stm>.

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 11:13:24 -0500, [email protected] (It's Chris)
wrote:

>>me: climbing on soapbox

>It seems you can't go more than fifteen replies without sombody starting
>a flame war. God forbid a troll posts something, within a week you have
>a thread 1200 replies long, none of it usefull to anyone except the
>troll who once again has sopped the fools into his web. This despite the
>fact that "everyone" says "just ignore it, he'll go away". But no body
>does. And he keep winning.
>
>I pity the newbie that comes here for the first time, posts an inoocent
>question in the hopes of some friendly advice, only to discover a few
>days later he has started a war!
>
>I'm able to ignore these, if I see insults being thrown I simply skip to
>the next reply in the hopes of finding something usefull. No temptation,
>no sin. why can't you? My NG reader doesn't collapse threads (one of
>it's shortomings), which meand I haf to plow through thousands of
>replies in a ruined thread to get to the next topic. That's the main
>reason for my rant.
>
>Strangly enough, someone posts spam and that DOES get ignored. Two
>replies, max, and it sinks into oblivion.
>
>>me: stepping down from box :-3)

> - -
>Compliments of:
>"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"
>
>If you want to E-mail me use:
>ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net
>
>My website:
>http://geocities.com/czcorner

You should consider getting a decent news reader that will allow you to navigate
amongst the postings. I have been using "Agent" for many years. I believe
they still may put out a free version with less features.

Ben

On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 07:03:07 -0500, Ben Kaufman
<[email protected]> wrote:

>You should consider getting a decent news reader that will allow you to navigate
>amongst the postings. I have been using "Agent" for many years. I believe
>they still may put out a free version with less features.
>
>Ben

There's even a firefox plugin for Google Groups.
The Mk I eyeball works too.

>On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 11:13:24 -0500, [email protected] (It's
Chris)
>wrote:
>My NG reader doesn't collapse threads (one of it's shortomings),
>which meand I haf to plow through thousands of replies
>in a ruined thread to get to the next topic.
>That's the main reason for my rant.
>
>Compliments of:
>"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"
>If you want to E-mail me use:
>ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net
>My website:
>http://geocities.com/czcorner
>
>Ben says;
>
>You should consider getting a decent news reader that will
>allow you to navigate amongst the postings.   I have
>been using "Agent" for many years. I believe they still
>may put out a free version with less features.
>Ben

I've been online since 1996 with WebTv. WebTv is a net appliance, not
a PC. Prior to WebTV's sell-out to Microsoft, "webbies" were
constantly developing work-arounds, adapting WebTv to be the "little
black box that could".
Bill Gates quickly recognized this wasn't a good thing for monopoly
building. Since the MSN take-over, the free MSNTV "upgrades" are only
such, when viewed while standing on your head. In other words, what
you see is what you get, and that's less and less everyday.
I've never bought a PC, nor will I. But I do have a Mac as well as
my WebTv.

Best Regards - Mike Baldwin

"Michael Baldwin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 11:13:24 -0500, [email protected] (It's

Chris)
>wrote:
>My NG reader doesn't collapse threads (one of it's shortomings),
>which meand I haf to plow through thousands of replies
>in a ruined thread to get to the next topic.
>That's the main reason for my rant.
>
>Compliments of:
>"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"
>If you want to E-mail me use:
>ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net
>My website:
>http://geocities.com/czcorner
>
>Ben says;
>
>You should consider getting a decent news reader that will
>allow you to navigate amongst the postings. I have
>been using "Agent" for many years. I believe they still
>may put out a free version with less features.
>Ben

I've been online since 1996 with WebTv. WebTv is a net appliance, not
a PC. Prior to WebTV's sell-out to Microsoft, "webbies" were
constantly developing work-arounds, adapting WebTv to be the "little
black box that could".
Bill Gates quickly recognized this wasn't a good thing for monopoly
building. Since the MSN take-over, the free MSNTV "upgrades" are only
such, when viewed while standing on your head. In other words, what
you see is what you get, and that's less and less everyday.
I've never bought a PC, nor will I. But I do have a Mac as well as
my WebTv.

Best Regards - Mike Baldwin

So does the Mac not have a good (3rd party) newsgroup reader?

Or do you only have Internet access through WebTV?

IMO, a personal computer (PC or Mac) w/o Internet access is borderline
useless.

Sorry, I have difficulty looking at the world from a Mac user point-of-view.

J.

Jays asks

>So does the Mac not have a good (3rd party)
>newsgroup reader?
>Or do you only have Internet access through WebTV?
>IMO, a personal computer (PC or Mac) w/o Internet access
>is borderline useless.
>Sorry, I have difficulty looking at the world from a
>Mac user point-of-view.
>J.

As I write this reply my lovely assistant is using "her" Mac on-line.
For emails, NG's and general net surfing I prefer the WebTV with it's
wireless keyboard, my La-Z-Boy and the 24" Hi-Def "monitor" / TV.
Example I'm watching a PBS special right now about brain plasticity as I
type this.
Regarding your "difficulty looking at the world from a Mac user
point-of-view" that's understandable.

Best Regards - Mike Baldwin

"Michael Baldwin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> As I write this reply my lovely assistant is using "her" Mac on-line.
> For emails, NG's and general net surfing I prefer the WebTV with it's
> wireless keyboard, my La-Z-Boy and the 24" Hi-Def "monitor" / TV.
> Example I'm watching a PBS special right now about brain plasticity as I
> type this.
> Regarding your "difficulty looking at the world from a Mac user
> point-of-view" that's understandable.
>
> Best Regards - Mike Baldwin

At home, I like to do Internet stuff on a PC, while watching TV with the
sound muted, and sound coming from a music CD, or perhaps a minimized DVD
window.

It seems Americans like to multi-task, even when they are relaxing.

If I were to get TiVo, I would probably turn into Howard Hughes.

J.

On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 12:59:57 -0600, "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote,
in part:

> I've been online since 1996 with WebTv. WebTv is a net appliance, not
>a PC. Prior to WebTV's sell-out to Microsoft, "webbies" were
>constantly developing work-arounds, adapting WebTv to be the "little
>black box that could".

me too!!!!!! (first week in January)

But I've always used a newserver (or four) and an off-line newsreader
with its own database.

Totally different experience.
--
zk

>I've been online since 1996 with WebTv. WebTv is a
>net appliance, not a PC.   Prior to WebTV's sell-out
>to Microsoft, "webbies" were constantly developing work-arounds,

adapting WebTv to

Zoot writes;

>be the "little black box that could".
>me too!!!!!! (first week in January)
>But I've always used a newserver (or four) and an
>off-line newsreader with its own database.
>Totally different experience.
>--
>zk

So there's a known quanity of three-