you know that REALLY annoying noise...

flyingdutch

New Member
Feb 8, 2004
5,700
no, not shockjock radio hosts...

My mtb commuter has developed a really annoying noise.
rear wheel.
thought it was my brake pads rubbing. nope.
thought it might be my brake pads rubbing against sidewall of tyre, as it only happens when I'm on the bike. ie weight is changing the 'dynamics' of WTF is going on...
Unengaged brake cables so pads were inches away from wheel. Still no noise!
Nothing else rubbing, or near em currenty.
Happens pedalling or not.
Happens on a definite regular wheel revolutionary interval.

Can the freehub or even the lil' rubber housing/cap on the non-drive side of rear hub be causing it?

ready to throw bike. need help :(

F"ee. ee. ee. ee. ee. ee. ee. ee. aaaaaarrggghhhh!%@$#!!!"Dutch

flyingdutch said:
no, not shockjock radio hosts...

My mtb commuter has developed a really annoying noise.
rear wheel.
thought it was my brake pads rubbing. nope.
thought it might be my brake pads rubbing against sidewall of tyre, as it only happens when I'm on the bike. ie weight is changing the 'dynamics' of WTF is going on...
Unengaged brake cables so pads were inches away from wheel. Still no noise!
Nothing else rubbing, or near em currenty.
Happens pedalling or not.
Happens on a definite regular wheel revolutionary interval.

Can the freehub or even the lil' rubber housing/cap on the non-drive side of rear hub be causing it?

ready to throw bike. need help :(

F"ee. ee. ee. ee. ee. ee. ee. ee. aaaaaarrggghhhh!%@$#!!!"Dutch
metallic noise ?? i.e metal on metal ?

sounds like cones... I've gone through stacks of rear axle cones on my
MTB...

cheers,
GPL

flyingdutch wrote:
> no, not shockjock radio hosts...
>
> My mtb commuter has developed a really annoying noise.
> rear wheel.

Mine has an annoying noise as well. It sounds like the derailler isn't
adjusted right but it only occurs under heavy load in the top gearing
(ie. hammering it downhill). Of course that means it is very hard to
replicate in the workshop. Doesn't happen often but when it does I start
thinking of getting a new bike (surely 11 years on a $200 bike justifies
a new one).

DaveB

flyingdutch wrote:
> no, not shockjock radio hosts...
>
> My mtb commuter has developed a really annoying noise.
> rear wheel.
> thought it was my brake pads rubbing. nope.
> thought it might be my brake pads rubbing against sidewall of tyre, as
> it only happens when I'm on the bike. ie weight is changing the
> 'dynamics' of WTF is going on...
> Unengaged brake cables so pads were inches away from wheel. Still no
> noise!
> Nothing else rubbing, or near em currenty.
> Happens pedalling or not.
> Happens on a definite regular wheel revolutionary interval.
>
> Can the freehub or even the lil' rubber housing/cap on the non-drive
> side of rear hub be causing it?

yes. If it sounds like a bit of a groan, it may be a rubber cap
rubbing.
A tiny drop of triflow or some other oil may shut it up.

DaveB said:
Mine has an annoying noise as well. It sounds like the derailler isn't
adjusted right but it only occurs under heavy load in the top gearing
(ie. hammering it downhill). Of course that means it is very hard to
replicate in the workshop. Doesn't happen often but when it does I start
thinking of getting a new bike (surely 11 years on a $200 bike justifies
a new one).

DaveB

Chainrub, me thinks?
only comes out when your grinding/sprinting/underload as rear flexes the chain rubs against a side of front derailleur

flyingdutch wrote:
> no, not shockjock radio hosts...
>
> My mtb commuter has developed a really annoying noise.
> rear wheel.
> thought it was my brake pads rubbing. nope.
> thought it might be my brake pads rubbing against sidewall of tyre, as
> it only happens when I'm on the bike. ie weight is changing the
> 'dynamics' of WTF is going on...
> Unengaged brake cables so pads were inches away from wheel. Still no
> noise!
> Nothing else rubbing, or near em currenty.
> Happens pedalling or not.
> Happens on a definite regular wheel revolutionary interval.
>
> Can the freehub or even the lil' rubber housing/cap on the non-drive
> side of rear hub be causing it?
>
> ready to throw bike. need help :(

I'm about to ride home out your way, you got the wheel anywhere handy
so I can have a look at it? send me an email ...

flyingdutch wrote:

> Can the freehub or even the lil' rubber housing/cap on the non-drive
> side of rear hub be causing it?

After you've checked for frame fractures, saddle and seat post issues,
loose rear derailleur, sprayed lube on the jockey wheels, checked any
other fittings then suspect the rear wheel.
Start at the spokes, check for broken spokes and then check the spoke
tension on each (tighten or loosen as needed), then the nipple holes in
the rim for fractures. If you've broken a few spokes in the past and
replaced these with unlike spokes this can cause noises under rotation.
Check the wheel for play at the cones then the play of the cassette
sprockets. If you have play in the wheel this may not necessarily be the
cones, remove the rear wheel to check that the axle isn't snapped (with
some wheels this is obvious, others with sealed bearings you'd have to
twist each end of the axle about). Check the rubber seals on the hubs
for rub or wear. Still can't find it?
I'd had issues with water in the rim or getting in behind the freehub
and causing squeaking noises, if not rust on vital surfaces. These sorts
of noises aren't always constantly there and can be affected by weight
on the wheel or drive force. You can also get pollution within the hub
if your chain lube gets into the hub and tries to mate with your hub
grease. If your chain lube shows signs of having gotten in then water
and other gunk probably came along.
And of course, regardless of maintenance sometimes you just wear things out.

"flyingdutch" wrote in message ...

> ready to throw bike. need help :(
>
> F"ee. ee. ee. ee. ee. ee. ee. ee. aaaaaarrggghhhh!%@$#!!!"Dutch

Hey FD, how'd it pan out? ... we are all experts here.. who won? ;)

cheers,
GPL

Spokes rubbing at a crossing?

I had an annoying click for months. I regreased the BB twice as that had been the cause in the past. After I saw a posting of a link to the Park Tools web site, I regreased the pedal threads and then tightened the chainring bolts which were a bit loose so that was the culprit this time.

Friend's bike was clunking away. I had a quick look and found the BB loose as. She took it to a shop, they adjusted it but still it clunked. I looked again and found that the freewheel was loose. I used a nail in one of the holes to tighten it up.
Still clunked. She took it back to the shop, this time they replaced the BB (don't know why) and guess what, still clunking.
I had another look and found the rear wheel bearings very loose. I changed over some oval looking balls. Haven't heard back from her, so I assume that all is well (but maybe not). Needless to say she's not happy with the shop.