You little ripper !!! I busted them, now what do I replace them with?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Trentus, Jan 28, 2003.

  1. Trentus

    Trentus Guest

    You little beauty, finally I busted my front shocks. Now I've got an excuse to replace them.

    I noticed it today, but not sure if it was the crash on Sunday while trying to avoid my daughters
    sudden swerve into my path, or the crash while overdoing a jump a few days before that.

    But the outer part of my Top Gun front forks, the part that looks like two tubes joined by a thin
    arch at their top, have sheered through just on the left side of the arch.

    So now that I have an excuse, but unfortunately just as I no longer have any money to spend on the
    bike, I find myself looking for new shocks.

    Any suggestions in the $250Aus ($125US) price range? If such a thing actually exists.

    Thanks in advance.

    Trentus

    Tags:

  2. Trentus

    Trentus Guest

    "Trentus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > You little beauty, finally I busted my front shocks. Now I've got an
    excuse
    > to replace them.
    <snip>
    > So now that I have an excuse, but unfortunately just as I no longer have
    any
    > money to spend on the bike, I find myself looking for new shocks.
    >
    > Any suggestions in the $250Aus ($125US) price range? If such a thing actually exists.

    Forgot to add that I have front disk brakes so need to be compatible with front disks.

    Trentus

  3. Ollie Wigg

    Ollie Wigg Guest

    Last time I bought a fork was about a year ago, so things may have changed, but in Australia your
    looking at towards the bottom of the range at $250, but you stan afford a good brand, even if it's
    there base modle. I'd reccomend Rock Shox or Manitou, as both the companies have workshops in
    Australia where you can send shocks for an overhaul or if something goes wrong. This service could
    come in handy on cheap shocks. Ollie "Trentus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Trentus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > You little beauty, finally I busted my front shocks. Now I've got an
    > excuse
    > > to replace them.
    > <snip>
    > > So now that I have an excuse, but unfortunately just as I no longer have
    > any
    > > money to spend on the bike, I find myself looking for new shocks.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions in the $250Aus ($125US) price range? If such a thing actually exists.
    >
    > Forgot to add that I have front disk brakes so need to be compatible with front disks.
    >
    > Trentus

  4. Trentus

    Trentus Guest

    It pays to have a good relationship with your LBS. I simply couldn't afford at present to replace
    the broken shocks with something worthwhile. When the bike was taken in to the LBS, the guy
    basically refused to put anything on the bike that wasn't better than the broken one, so when I told
    him my problem with affording it, he said that if I could put half the price down (about the amount
    I'd intended to spend) he'd do me a special price, install them free, AND LET ME PAY THEM OFF WHILE
    USING THEM. So in a few days I'll be riding on $420 Pilot XC's, for a $200 down payment, and the
    rest on "Lay-Buy" or should I say "Play-buy" He rated them above the Judy's at a slightly lower
    price, so whether for good or bad, it's Pilot XC's I hope these are a reasonable shock. They'd
    better be, that is almost half what I paid for the whole bike.

    Trentus

    "Trentus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Trentus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > You little beauty, finally I busted my front shocks. Now I've got an
    > excuse
    > > to replace them.
    > <snip>
    > > So now that I have an excuse, but unfortunately just as I no longer have
    > any
    > > money to spend on the bike, I find myself looking for new shocks.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions in the $250Aus ($125US) price range? If such a thing actually exists.
    >
    > Forgot to add that I have front disk brakes so need to be compatible with front disks.
    >
    > Trentus

  5. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

  6. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    > Trentus wrote:
    >
    > > I hope these are a reasonable shock. They'd better be, that is almost
    half
    > > what I paid for the whole bike.
    >
    > And so the cycle begins...

    Yeah, by the time and spent twice as much on my old Claude Butler than it had cost me (over less
    than a year), I gave up, and built up the BASE frame instead. I would have spent more on the CB, but
    the frame weighed a ton, had less than optimum geometry (for me), and flexed like a rubber band at
    the BB and chain stay area.

    Shaun aRe - Eh?

  7. Ollie Wigg

    Ollie Wigg Guest

    Thats a great shock, it's what I have on my bike. The damping can be noisy so don't worry if you
    here a sucking sound. If you want to know how to set the preload without a PSI gague let me know.
    Ollie. "Trentus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > It pays to have a good relationship with your LBS. I simply couldn't afford at present to replace
    > the broken shocks with something worthwhile. When the bike was taken in to the LBS, the guy
    > basically refused to put anything on the bike that wasn't better than the broken one, so when I
    > told him my problem with affording it, he said that
    if
    > I could put half the price down (about the amount I'd intended to spend) he'd do me a special
    > price, install them free, AND LET ME PAY THEM OFF
    WHILE
    > USING THEM. So in a few days I'll be riding on $420 Pilot XC's, for a $200 down
    payment,
    > and the rest on "Lay-Buy" or should I say "Play-buy" He rated them above the Judy's at a slightly
    > lower price, so whether for good or bad, it's Pilot XC's I hope these are a reasonable shock.
    > They'd better be, that is almost half what I paid for the whole bike.
    >
    > Trentus
    >
    > "Trentus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "Trentus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > You little beauty, finally I busted my front shocks. Now I've got an
    > > excuse
    > > > to replace them.
    > > <snip>
    > > > So now that I have an excuse, but unfortunately just as I no longer
    have
    > > any
    > > > money to spend on the bike, I find myself looking for new shocks.
    > > >
    > > > Any suggestions in the $250Aus ($125US) price range? If such a thing actually exists.
    > >
    > > Forgot to add that I have front disk brakes so need to be compatible
    with
    > > front disks.
    > >
    > > Trentus

  8. Trentus

    Trentus Guest

    "Ollie Wigg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Thats a great shock, it's what I have on my bike. The damping can be noisy so don't worry if you
    > here a sucking sound. If you want to know how to set the preload without a PSI gague let me
    > know. Ollie.

    Any info you can supply would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks

    Trentus

  9. roKeMS

    roKeMS New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2002
  10. Ollie Wigg

    Ollie Wigg Guest

    OK. So to set the preload without a PSI gage just put a zip-tie around one leg and slide it down, so
    that when you compress the fork it pushes it up the leg. You'll notice that when the fork re-
    extends the zip tie stays were it was, so you can measure the travle and more importantly the sag.
    The sag of a fork is how mutch it sinks into its travle when you are just sitting on the bike. Rock
    Shox Reccomend 18-25 mm of sag for the Pilot. Get on the bike then while sitting stable and in a
    comfortable riding pisition push the zip tie down, then, being careful not to compresss the fork any
    furhter by putting your wait forward hop off and measure the sag. If its less than 18mm you have too
    mutch preload, so let some air out. If its more than 25mm you need to put a tiny bit of air in.
    Between 18 and 25 mm it's up to you. Less preload makes the shock better at smoothing out small
    bumps, but it softer and more bouncy, also thesag uses up some of your travle. Ollie "Trentus"