You little ripper !!! I busted them, now what do I replace them with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Trentus

You little beauty, finally I busted my front shocks. Now I've got an excuse to replace them.

I noticed it today, but not sure if it was the crash on Sunday while trying to avoid my daughters
sudden swerve into my path, or the crash while overdoing a jump a few days before that.

But the outer part of my Top Gun front forks, the part that looks like two tubes joined by a thin
arch at their top, have sheered through just on the left side of the arch.

So now that I have an excuse, but unfortunately just as I no longer have any money to spend on the
bike, I find myself looking for new shocks.

Any suggestions in the $250Aus ($125US) price range? If such a thing actually exists.

Thanks in advance.

Trentus

"Trentus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> You little beauty, finally I busted my front shocks. Now I've got an
excuse
> to replace them.
<snip>
> So now that I have an excuse, but unfortunately just as I no longer have
any
> money to spend on the bike, I find myself looking for new shocks.
>
> Any suggestions in the $250Aus ($125US) price range? If such a thing actually exists.

Forgot to add that I have front disk brakes so need to be compatible with front disks.

Trentus

Last time I bought a fork was about a year ago, so things may have changed, but in Australia your
looking at towards the bottom of the range at $250, but you stan afford a good brand, even if it's
there base modle. I'd reccomend Rock Shox or Manitou, as both the companies have workshops in
Australia where you can send shocks for an overhaul or if something goes wrong. This service could
come in handy on cheap shocks. Ollie "Trentus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "Trentus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > You little beauty, finally I busted my front shocks. Now I've got an
> excuse
> > to replace them.
> <snip>
> > So now that I have an excuse, but unfortunately just as I no longer have
> any
> > money to spend on the bike, I find myself looking for new shocks.
> >
> > Any suggestions in the $250Aus ($125US) price range? If such a thing actually exists.
>
> Forgot to add that I have front disk brakes so need to be compatible with front disks.
>
> Trentus

It pays to have a good relationship with your LBS. I simply couldn't afford at present to replace
the broken shocks with something worthwhile. When the bike was taken in to the LBS, the guy
basically refused to put anything on the bike that wasn't better than the broken one, so when I told
him my problem with affording it, he said that if I could put half the price down (about the amount
I'd intended to spend) he'd do me a special price, install them free, AND LET ME PAY THEM OFF WHILE
USING THEM. So in a few days I'll be riding on $420 Pilot XC's, for a $200 down payment, and the
rest on "Lay-Buy" or should I say "Play-buy" He rated them above the Judy's at a slightly lower
price, so whether for good or bad, it's Pilot XC's I hope these are a reasonable shock. They'd
better be, that is almost half what I paid for the whole bike.

Trentus

"Trentus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > You little beauty, finally I busted my front shocks. Now I've got an
> excuse
> > to replace them.
> <snip>
> > So now that I have an excuse, but unfortunately just as I no longer have
> any
> > money to spend on the bike, I find myself looking for new shocks.
> >
> > Any suggestions in the $250Aus ($125US) price range? If such a thing actually exists.
>
> Forgot to add that I have front disk brakes so need to be compatible with front disks.
>
> Trentus

bomba <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Trentus wrote:
>
> > I hope these are a reasonable shock. They'd better be, that is almost
half
> > what I paid for the whole bike.
>
> And so the cycle begins...

Yeah, by the time and spent twice as much on my old Claude Butler than it had cost me (over less
than a year), I gave up, and built up the BASE frame instead. I would have spent more on the CB, but
the frame weighed a ton, had less than optimum geometry (for me), and flexed like a rubber band at
the BB and chain stay area.

Shaun aRe - Eh?

Thats a great shock, it's what I have on my bike. The damping can be noisy so don't worry if you
here a sucking sound. If you want to know how to set the preload without a PSI gague let me know.
Ollie. "Trentus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> It pays to have a good relationship with your LBS. I simply couldn't afford at present to replace
> the broken shocks with something worthwhile. When the bike was taken in to the LBS, the guy
> basically refused to put anything on the bike that wasn't better than the broken one, so when I
> told him my problem with affording it, he said that
if
> I could put half the price down (about the amount I'd intended to spend) he'd do me a special
> price, install them free, AND LET ME PAY THEM OFF
WHILE
> USING THEM. So in a few days I'll be riding on $420 Pilot XC's, for a $200 down
payment,
> and the rest on "Lay-Buy" or should I say "Play-buy" He rated them above the Judy's at a slightly
> lower price, so whether for good or bad, it's Pilot XC's I hope these are a reasonable shock.
> They'd better be, that is almost half what I paid for the whole bike.
>
> Trentus
>
> > "Trentus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > You little beauty, finally I busted my front shocks. Now I've got an
> > excuse
> > > to replace them.
> > <snip>
> > > So now that I have an excuse, but unfortunately just as I no longer
have
> > any
> > > money to spend on the bike, I find myself looking for new shocks.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions in the $250Aus ($125US) price range? If such a thing actually exists.
> >
> > Forgot to add that I have front disk brakes so need to be compatible
with
> > front disks.
> >
> > Trentus
> >
>

"Ollie Wigg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Thats a great shock, it's what I have on my bike. The damping can be noisy so don't worry if you
> here a sucking sound. If you want to know how to set the preload without a PSI gague let me
> know. Ollie.

Any info you can supply would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Trentus

OK. So to set the preload without a PSI gage just put a zip-tie around one leg and slide it down, so
that when you compress the fork it pushes it up the leg. You'll notice that when the fork re-
extends the zip tie stays were it was, so you can measure the travle and more importantly the sag.
The sag of a fork is how mutch it sinks into its travle when you are just sitting on the bike. Rock
Shox Reccomend 18-25 mm of sag for the Pilot. Get on the bike then while sitting stable and in a
comfortable riding pisition push the zip tie down, then, being careful not to compresss the fork any
furhter by putting your wait forward hop off and measure the sag. If its less than 18mm you have too
mutch preload, so let some air out. If its more than 25mm you need to put a tiny bit of air in.
Between 18 and 25 mm it's up to you. Less preload makes the shock better at smoothing out small
bumps, but it softer and more bouncy, also thesag uses up some of your travle. Ollie "Trentus"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> "Ollie Wigg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Thats a great shock, it's what I have on my bike. The damping can be
noisy
> > so don't worry if you here a sucking sound. If you want to know how to
set
> > the preload without a PSI gague let me know. Ollie.
>
> Any info you can supply would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Trentus

Status
Not open for further replies.