You might like this food blog

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by jake, Feb 20, 2006.

  1. jake

    jake Guest

    A Dutch student is visiting people from 80 different countries for meals
    in their homes (In The Netherlands, as far as I can tell). Then she
    reports on the meals and the evening spent together, including
    interesting cross-cultural conversations.

    After the 80 meals, she'll invite all those people to a party.

    She writes in English.

    http://www.80meals.blogspot.com/

    Tags:

  2. On Mon 20 Feb 2006 01:54:58p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jake?

    > A Dutch student is visiting people from 80 different countries for meals
    > in their homes (In The Netherlands, as far as I can tell). Then she
    > reports on the meals and the evening spent together, including
    > interesting cross-cultural conversations.
    >
    > After the 80 meals, she'll invite all those people to a party.
    >
    > She writes in English.
    >
    > http://www.80meals.blogspot.com/

    I've been shot down for saying this before, but I abhor all blogs. IMHO,
    nothing but personal blather, blather, blather. I can here that anywhere.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  3. Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > On Mon 20 Feb 2006 01:54:58p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jake?
    >

    >>A Dutch student is visiting people from 80 different countries for meals
    >>in their homes (In The Netherlands, as far as I can tell). Then she
    >>reports on the meals and the evening spent together, including
    >>interesting cross-cultural conversations.
    >>
    >> After the 80 meals, she'll invite all those people to a party.
    >>
    >>She writes in English.
    >>
    >>http://www.80meals.blogspot.com/

    > I've been shot down for saying this before, but I abhor all blogs. IMHO,
    > nothing but personal blather, blather, blather. I can here that anywhere.

    hey, mine isn't blather! that's probably why i don't get traffic :)

    --

    saerah

    http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

    email:
    anisaerah at s b c global.net

    -Baruch Spinoza

    -Douglas Adams

  4. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Mon 20 Feb 2006 01:54:58p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jake?
    >
    >> A Dutch student is visiting people from 80 different countries for meals
    >> in their homes (In The Netherlands, as far as I can tell). Then she
    >> reports on the meals and the evening spent together, including
    >> interesting cross-cultural conversations.
    >>
    >> After the 80 meals, she'll invite all those people to a party.
    >>
    >> She writes in English.
    >>
    >> http://www.80meals.blogspot.com/

    > I've been shot down for saying this before, but I abhor all blogs. IMHO,
    > nothing but personal blather, blather, blather. I can here that anywhere.
    >
    > --
    > Wayne Boatwright o¿o

    I believe this statement is relevant to blogging:

    "... everyone is fond
    of relating his ... strength, both of his body and his mind,
    and ... men are on this account a nuisance
    one to the other. - Spinoza

    Dee Dee

  5. On Mon 20 Feb 2006 05:59:27p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it sarah
    bennett?

    > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    >> On Mon 20 Feb 2006 01:54:58p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jake?
    >>

    >>>A Dutch student is visiting people from 80 different countries for
    >>>meals in their homes (In The Netherlands, as far as I can tell). Then
    >>>she reports on the meals and the evening spent together, including
    >>>interesting cross-cultural conversations.
    >>>
    >>> After the 80 meals, she'll invite all those people to a party.
    >>>
    >>>She writes in English.
    >>>
    >>>http://www.80meals.blogspot.com/

    >> I've been shot down for saying this before, but I abhor all blogs.
    >> IMHO, nothing but personal blather, blather, blather. I can here that
    >> anywhere.
    >>

    > hey, mine isn't blather! that's probably why i don't get traffic :)

    LOL! Could be, Saerah. <g>

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  6. jake

    jake Guest

    > I've been shot down for saying this before, but I abhor all blogs. IMHO,
    > nothing but personal blather, blather, blather. I can here that anywhere.

    I won't shoot you :) I can understand your point of view. I rarely read
    blogs for the same reaosn. I still like this one, though.

  7. aem

    aem Guest

    jake wrote:
    > I won't shoot you :) I can understand your point of view. I rarely read
    > blogs for the same reaosn. I still like this one, though.

    I took a quick look at it. Seems well enough written, but it is
    quickly apparent that the writer is not a cook. If I read more of it I
    would not expect to find knowledgeable comments about the ingredients
    or the cooking. I'd call it an "eating blog," maybe, not a "food
    blog." -aem

  8. Goomba38

    Goomba38 Guest

    jake wrote:

    >> I've been shot down for saying this before, but I abhor all blogs.
    >> IMHO, nothing but personal blather, blather, blather. I can here that
    >> anywhere.
    >>

    > I won't shoot you :) I can understand your point of view. I rarely read
    > blogs for the same reaosn. I still like this one, though.

    I agree. I found it fascinating and will be checking for updates. Thanks
    for sharing.

  9. dee

    dee Guest

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > On Mon 20 Feb 2006 01:54:58p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jake?
    >
    > > A Dutch student is visiting people from 80 different countries for meals
    > > in their homes (In The Netherlands, as far as I can tell). Then she
    > > reports on the meals and the evening spent together, including
    > > interesting cross-cultural conversations.
    > >
    > > After the 80 meals, she'll invite all those people to a party.
    > >
    > > She writes in English.
    > >
    > > http://www.80meals.blogspot.com/

    > I've been shot down for saying this before, but I abhor all blogs. IMHO,
    > nothing but personal blather, blather, blather. I can here that anywhere.

    You mean the newsgroup? :p :)

  10. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Goomba38" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > jake wrote:

    I rarely read
    >> blogs for the same reaosn. I still like this one, though.

    > I agree. I found it fascinating and will be checking for updates. Thanks
    > for sharing.

    Thanks for your comments. As a result I read this blog, too.
    I particularly was interested in the Nepalese dinner blogs and liked these
    comments:

    "According to Rima, it is pretty unique to see men at work in the
    kitchen .in Nepal it is usually the women who do all the cooking. her
    husband Saroj (at left) enjoys preparing dinner."

    as I spent three weeks in the mid-80's in Nepal. In the restaurants, I
    never saw a woman cooking. Once we spent 2 nights at a high mountain
    'outpost?' and the men served a rice pudding, the likes of which I've never
    reproduced, but the rest of the food was certainly forgettable there and
    everywhere else in Nepal. But from what I recall, it was mainly 'Indian'
    food, though I've not been in India -- DH has been and he thought so.
    No, this is not my blog -- certainly not interesting, just my recalled
    experience with Nepalese food
    Otherwise, the most unforgettable trait of the Nepalese men -- they sing all
    the time when they are standing around (hanging around [hanging]).
    Dee Dee

  11. On Wed 22 Feb 2006 02:38:01a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it dee?

    > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    >> On Mon 20 Feb 2006 01:54:58p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jake?
    >>
    >> > A Dutch student is visiting people from 80 different countries for
    >> > meals in their homes (In The Netherlands, as far as I can tell). Then
    >> > she reports on the meals and the evening spent together, including
    >> > interesting cross-cultural conversations.
    >> >
    >> > After the 80 meals, she'll invite all those people to a party.
    >> >
    >> > She writes in English.
    >> >
    >> > http://www.80meals.blogspot.com/

    >> I've been shot down for saying this before, but I abhor all blogs.
    >> IMHO, nothing but personal blather, blather, blather. I can here that
    >> anywhere.
    >>

    > You mean the newsgroup? :p :)

    Well, I see my type, but yes, "here too". :)

    --
    Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

  12. dee

    dee Guest

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > On Wed 22 Feb 2006 02:38:01a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it dee?
    >

    > > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > >> On Mon 20 Feb 2006 01:54:58p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jake?

    > >> I've been shot down for saying this before, but I abhor all blogs.
    > >> IMHO, nothing but personal blather, blather, blather. I can here that
    > >> anywhere.
    > >>

    > > You mean the newsgroup? :p :)

    > Well, I see my type, but yes, "here too". :)
    >

    > --
    > Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬
    >
    > Okay, okay, I take it back! UnScrew you!

    damn, I'm unscrewed! heh...

  13. On Wed 22 Feb 2006 01:15:07a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Goomba38?

    > jake wrote:
    >>

    >>> I've been shot down for saying this before, but I abhor all blogs.
    >>> IMHO, nothing but personal blather, blather, blather. I can here that
    >>> anywhere.
    >>>

    >> I won't shoot you :) I can understand your point of view. I rarely read
    >> blogs for the same reaosn. I still like this one, though.

    > I agree. I found it fascinating and will be checking for updates. Thanks
    > for sharing.

    Okay, so I looked. :) Yes, this is one site I would enjoy.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

  14. jake wrote:

    > A Dutch student is visiting people from 80 different countries for meals
    > in their homes (In The Netherlands, as far as I can tell). Then she
    > reports on the meals and the evening spent together, including
    > interesting cross-cultural conversations.
    >
    > After the 80 meals, she'll invite all those people to a party.

    And hopefully the guests will bring foods representing their different
    countries...Dutch grub SUX -- BIG time!

    --
    Best
    Greg

  15. On Wed 22 Feb 2006 09:48:01a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it dee?

    > Wayne Boatwright wrote:

    >> > You mean the newsgroup? :p :)

    >> Well, I see my type, but yes, "here too". :)
    >>

    >> --
    >> Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬ ________________________________________
    >>
    >> Okay, okay, I take it back! UnScrew you!

    > damn, I'm unscrewed! heh...

    That's not to say that you have a few screws loose. :)

    --
    Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

  16. Wayne Boatwright wrote:

    > I've been shot down for saying this before, but I abhor all blogs. IMHO,
    > nothing but personal blather, blather, blather. I can here that anywhere.

    Yup, blogs bore the uck - fay out of me, they are just another internet
    fad that has outlived it's usefulness (unlike the short - lived "flash
    mob" mania of a few years ago). Political blogs of *any* stripe are
    the worst...sheer windbaggery at it's most melifluous.

    I can get my fill of "blogging" at most any bar stool in town, I don't
    need to see someone dignify their barroom conversations by posting them
    online...

    Even newspapers are into the blog thang...the _Chicago Tribune_ is
    infested with the blogs they pay their staff to write. Most all of it
    is at the _My Weekly Reader_ level, it's just another example of SHEER
    journalistic laziness (and still another reason why I generally detest
    the _Chi Trib_)...

    Blogging reminds me of the "diary" craze that swept the nation back in
    the early 80's...I mean unless you are really talented and have really
    interesting things to say what's the point? Unless you are a celebrity
    or VIP of some stripe no one 50 years from now is gonna care about the
    fact about what you ate and what you watched and when you took a dump
    on July 21st 2005...

    Folx are always saying that chat rooms and blogs will take the place of
    Usenet, I absolutely don't believe it...

    --
    Best
    Greg

  17. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > as I spent three weeks in the mid-80's in Nepal. In the restaurants, I
    > never saw a woman cooking.

    Perhaps that may be because it was work. Just like in the West,
    cooking was largely a woman's domain, but chefs were mostly men.

    Regards,
    Ranee

    Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

  18. jake

    jake Guest

    aem wrote:
    > jake wrote:
    >
    >>I won't shoot you :) I can understand your point of view. I rarely read
    >>blogs for the same reaosn. I still like this one, though.

    > I took a quick look at it. Seems well enough written, but it is
    > quickly apparent that the writer is not a cook. If I read more of it I
    > would not expect to find knowledgeable comments about the ingredients
    > or the cooking. I'd call it an "eating blog," maybe, not a "food
    > blog." -aem

    Fair enough! I don't think here are any recipes. But the writer is
    young, she ahsn't had time to learn aas much about food as older people.
    Considering her age, I think what she writes is pretty well-informed.
    She knows more thatn I did in my early 20s, that's for sure.

  19. jake

    jake Guest

    >>> I've been shot down for saying this before, but I abhor all blogs.
    >>> IMHO, nothing but personal blather, blather, blather. I can here
    >>> that anywhere.
    >>>

    >> I won't shoot you :) I can understand your point of view. I rarely
    >> read blogs for the same reaosn. I still like this one, though.

    > I agree. I found it fascinating and will be checking for updates. Thanks
    > for sharing.

    I really like what she is doing, visiting all those people. It has such
    potential for cross culttural understandingAND culinary joy. I am glad
    she's sharing it.

  20. Default User

    Default User Guest

    jake wrote:

    > I really like what she is doing, visiting all those people. It has
    > such potential for cross culttural understandingAND culinary joy. I
    > am glad she's sharing it.

    I find it fairly entertaining. Blogs are like most things, there's good
    and bad. It's not a type of content, it's a delivery mechanism. I'd say
    there's just as much or more stupid blather (percentagewise) on usenet,
    but we all seem to use it just fine. With blogs, like newsgroups,
    choosing the correct ones are vital.

    Brian

    won't shut up.