you people out there riding double or tripple?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Kaboom, Nov 11, 2003.

1. mdombrowski99

mdombrowski99 New Member

Or...you can continue to suck down the burgers and fries and ride a double to burn it off.

2. Beastt

Beastt New Member

Or skip the burgers and the fries and pedal your double past the doubles powered by burgers and fries.

:)

3. thumbs

thumbs New Member

That's nothing! I swapped my 53 for a 55, and got rid of my useless 39 altogether. Much lighter! I'm running 11-21 in the back, but only use the 21 for big hills. Man, I can't tell if the rest of you pansies are over 30 years old, or sometimes do something other than ride a bicycle, or are just plain genetically inferior.

4. ProfTournesol

ProfTournesol New Member

all of the above. Will you let me keep my triple now:)

5. dhk

dhk New Member

Yes, Yes, and Yes. And I bet by forcing yourself to tough it out in the big ring, you'll soon be putting out 500W and climbing like LA.

6. thumbs

thumbs New Member

Indeed, one must force one's self, if one is to be taken seriously;)

7. Randybaker99

Randybaker99 New Member

I guess the concept being proposed by thumbs can be summarized in the following formulas:

triple ring user = slightly inferior rider, not to be taken seriously

double ring user = power rider + testoterone X 10

Or am I missing the gist of your posts? ;-)

I am going reiterate my position that a triple provides plenty of high gear options, and for anyone with a triple (30-42-52) who is running out of gears at the high end, I would suggest a racing cog (11-21) rather than trying to convert ot a double. Look at the gearing charts and you will see a comparable (slightly better) top end as with a standard cog (12-25) double (39-53), but with quite a few extra intermediate gearing options.

Anyone who is serious about increasing their cadence (80 --> 100+ rpm) would do well to consider a triple and the extra gearing options it provides.

I am not down on doubles, especially a DA 20, but preferring it (and dissing a triple) purely on macho appeal seems a bit extreme.

8. thumbs

thumbs New Member

Yea, sorry, you might be missing the point of those posts, in which case you're being very patient and polite. I was joking. I thought it was completely obvious, but then, I'm quite new to this forum. Evidently, the macho poser a**holes I was satirizing really do exist here. Who knew.

I am deeply in the triple camp, and happily spin for long stretches in that granny gear. I don't even need a hill for an excuse. My hat is off to all those who ride longer and faster than me, as well as those who don't, but try. Especially if they have grandchildren.

9. Randybaker99

Randybaker99 New Member

Your irony is subtle, indeed. I think the use of "pansy" and "genetically inferior" were a little out there and are what led me to place you in the "macho poser a**hole" camp. The simple fact that you came up with the phrase "macho poser a**hole" makes me want to give you a fresh start! Later.

10. dennis dee

dennis dee New Member

Double Campagnolo Record Crankset: 172.5mm; 53x39 chainrings on a 13-26 10-speed Campagnolo full-titan sprocket.

Just a note: although the ideal crank for my physiology is 170mm, i've switched to the 172.5 because it give me better leverage. True that my cadence has slowed down on climbs but I never really was a high spinner and by experimentation this combo enables me to stay on the gear much longer before lactate acid builds-up.

11. frusso

frusso New Member

Double 53x38 12x27 Notice the 38 in the front and the 27 rear. got it all covered but don't tell my riding buddies.

12. midnightmoses

midnightmoses New Member

I have a triple on my Serotta but I'm going with a double on the new bike I'm building. I'll use the Serotta for centuries and other rides with lots of climbing and the new bike for the weekend club rides.

moses

13. drewjc

drewjc New Member

I run a standard 53x39 and 12-23 rear. gives me heaps of gears within the useful range for the area around me and it is seldom that i wish for more (lower) gears. My theory being (dont take offense if it is different for you) that if i need a smaller gear then maybe it is time i got off my bum and did some training. I am reasonably young and fit so i feel a triple is just a bit of an excuse to have a bludge on a hill (not to mention i would lose my training buddies if i had to go to that small a gear). I think my local terrain may be a little easier to handle than some of you guys also.

14. frusso

frusso New Member

None taken. I feel I’m still fit at 61 years of age. Able to ride a 32:30 flat 20K ITT averaging around 23 mph. I would just rather spin up hills rather than power up them as I did when I was your age. I love my 12-27 but still have the 21 when needed.
    Ride Safe.

15. dhk

dhk New Member

I think it's mostly an age thing. I'm five years younger than you, and just got my first triple bike this year. After suffering for several decades with heavy steel frames and doubles, suddenly realized I had no need to continue with either.

On the Century I did a couple of weeks ago, the third climb at 82 miles in was 9% for 2.5 miles, with a 22% kicker for the final 200 yards. It was fun passing a lot of younger, stronger guys who were walking their doubles up that hill.

Since I know I'll never have the power of Lance Armstrong, I figure I have no business trying to use the same 39/23 he does for climbing the mountains.

16. drewjc

drewjc New Member

Fair call. But i also think it comes down to locality as much as anything. The longest hills we have around my area and in most rideable places in Australia are nothing compared to overseas. I know of a couple of local climbs that are around 5-6km in length (while still remaining a steepish grade) and they are considered tough around here (my 39 inner chainring coupled with a 23 rear is considered a bit soft! 23 or 39 they try to tell me but not both). there is really no need for a triple especially for those who race, as u rarely go slow enough on these climbs even in training to consider using a triple.

On the topic of gearing i think it wont be long b4 we see triples become almost redundant again, with compact drivetrains on front (50x36/34) and more gears (11-27 10, 11 or even 12 speed) on back creating just as wide a range with less weight. Similar to what MTBers are experimenting with. I know FSA already have a compact crankset and CAMPAG have one on the cards for next yrs Record and Chorus. What do u think?

BTW i am 22yrs

17. Randybaker99

Randybaker99 New Member

I think you have a point, when the Ultegra 10 speed comes out, the ratio of doubles to triples being sold should shift more towards doubles. But I don't think triples will be going away anytime soon. The only downsides to a triple, as far as i can see are 1) a little extra weight and 2) the stigma attached to triples by some racers and racer wannabees. There are large populations for whom neither of these are a concern, so I think triples will continue to live on.

BTW, what is a "compact crankset"?

18. pablo_gg

pablo_gg New Member

I don't understand why people think compact cranks are so great. You are missing out on the top end (50 vs 53)! With a triple you get the best of both worlds: easy spinning when you need/want it, as well as gears to hammer on.

19. lokstah

lokstah New Member

Tradeoffs, tradeoffs. Everyone's got their own ideal balance, which is why we all use different cranksets.

If you're using a compact crank, yes, you loose some teeth. If you're using a more standard configuration, yes, you loose some climbing range. If you're using a triple, you add a touch of weight and lose a pinch of shifting precision.

I haven't used one yet, but I'd seriously consider a compact crank in the future -- I prefer doubles, don't do too many fast flats or TT-type situations, and nearly all of my rides involve big, long climbs.

There's no silver bullet when it comes to gearing, but you can find something that works pretty well for you.

20. DiabloScott

DiabloScott New Member

I'll put on a triple when I'm so old/weak/fat that I can't ride without one - and not one second earlier. Rear shifts with a triple suck; front shifts with a triple suck AND the chain rubs in most of the gears.

OK, "suck" may be too extreme - substitue "lack crispness" and re-read.

Ultegra 10s isn't going to change the ratio of doubles to triples sold - they still won't offer anything bigger than a 27 on the back so the low gears are going to stay the same. People buy triples for the low end and going 8s to 9s to 10s the max cog recommendation has stayed the same.

HOWEVER - if Ultegra looks like DA10 and you can't see the granny ring through the crank... a lot of folks who don't want anyone to KNOW they're riding a triple might go for it.

People buy compact cranks because they need a triple but won't admit it to themselves... one's probably in my future in the next 10 years or so. Anyway, when you're at that stage in your life you don't feel like going gonzo downhill in a 53x12 so a 48x12 is fine and it's also lighter.