you people out there riding double or tripple?

keydates said:
I guess a 42 might be a little high to climb. Unfortunately/fortunately, since I have a triple, it's either that or a 30 in front. I'd like something in between (like a 35 or even a 39), but you can only find those on doubles. The problem with doubles is that the bigger gear usually has 50+ teeth, which is, as of right now, too hard to sustain a ~90 rpm cadence. As I said before, maybe in a year or so I'll be able to do that.

People might also think that a triple will make them look weak in comparison to the other riders.

You can always change your 42 to a 39 if you want. I ordered my FSA triple crank with a 39 since with a 12-25 cassette it gives me that 90 cadence at the speeds I most often ride. Another option is of course the 50/34 compact crank.

Agree the cadence is the important thing. As you get faster and stronger, you'll use the inner ring less and less, but it still doesn't cost much to carry it for the days you need it. My 56 mile club ride today was typical....inner ring not needed, about 85% of the time in the middle ring at 15-19
mph, with 15% big ring at 20-25. Since there were no fast wheels to suck...I had to do a lot of the pulling, meaning mostly little ring and 90 rpm.

Concerning looking weak, I've found that if I can climb side-by-side with a stronger rider by using my triple, they tend to be impressed regardless of the gearing. To me, walking your 39/23 bike up a 15% grade looks weak, and I've seen plenty of riders doing that.

Same combo. I would feel too old to have a trip on my road bike. I still feel like I can handle life with a 11-23 rear cassette. I'm not sure how long that'll last though.
drewski said:
same combo.

eddiebrannan said:
know why they call it a "granny ring?" it's for grannies, that's why. strictly double
Yea, you'll be there someday smart ass. We all get old. Though I realized that my 52/42/30 11-30 only gave me one lower gear against my 53/39 13-34, so triple is not always a saving. I'm now doing 53/39 and 12-34. I assume this will take me into my 90s and beyond.

carolealdrich said:
Yea, you'll be there someday smart ass. We all get old. Though I realized that my 52/42/30 11-30 only gave me one lower gear against my 53/39 13-34, so triple is not always a saving. I'm now doing 53/39 and 12-34. I assume this will take me into my 90s and beyond.

It's not just the gear range, it's the steps between gears too - smaller steps with a triple

ProfTournesol said:
It's not just the gear range, it's the steps between gears too - smaller steps with a triple
It still gets down to the terrain you want to climb. For this Saturday's 75 mile club ride, we have several big climbs....the toughest being 14% average for 1.25 miles, with 13 switchbacks that can kick up to 25% or more.

A few of the lightest/strongest climbers will do it with a double, maybe getting off to walk in a few spots. Personally, I'll be in my 30/25 all the way, 3-5 mph, at max HR....and wishing I had a lower gear.

I use a double with a 53/39 up front and a 12-27 out back. I do a lot of riding in the hills of central PA, and I still very rarely use the 27. The 25 is my "all purpose climbing gear" and the 27 is my "bail out gear" for using on the super steep hills at the end of the ride.

cydewaze said:
I use a double with a 53/39 up front and a 12-27 out back. I do a lot of riding in the hills of central PA, and I still very rarely use the 27. The 25 is my "all purpose climbing gear" and the 27 is my "bail out gear" for using on the super steep hills at the end of the ride.

If that's a Shimano 12-27 you don't have a 25.
12-13-14-15-17-19-21-24-27
Just in case you want to re-program your Flight Deck.
There have been a few times I wanted a lower gear than 39x27, but not many. Walking up hills looks way more grannyish than a triple though.

madisongrrl said:
I ride a 2004 cervelo soloist with a double chainring and a 12-27 rear cassette.

There's just something very cool about a girl who really knows her equipment!
:)

Kaboom said:
What kind of cranks are you riding?
Timely question for me as I am contemplating a new bike with double or triple

I have Ultegra triple now. All my rides have hills. I find that with the 52 42 30 Ultegra triple I don't have enough bottom end in my 42 (12 x 25 cassette) and end up in the 30 but on the 21 in the back to often. So I am kind of caught between the granny and the 42. When I am in shape I don't use the granny much because the shifiting up to the 42 from the Granny while on a hill is no fun at all. So I end up with chain rub because of going to the middle of the cassette.

So now I am contemplating a 52 39 double with a 12 x 27 cassette.

Looking at the available gearing charts available on line I won't be missing to much. I will still keep the triple bike for early season or the extra hilly rides.

my 2 cents

coastalrider said:
Timely question for me as I am contemplating a new bike with double or triple

I have Ultegra triple now. All my rides have hills. I find that with the 52 42 30 Ultegra triple I don't have enough bottom end in my 42 (12 x 25 cassette) and end up in the 30 but on the 21 in the back to often. So I am kind of caught between the granny and the 42. When I am in shape I don't use the granny much because the shifiting up to the 42 from the Granny while on a hill is no fun at all. So I end up with chain rub because of going to the middle of the cassette.

So now I am contemplating a 52 39 double with a 12 x 27 cassette.

Looking at the available gearing charts available on line I won't be missing to much. I will still keep the triple bike for early season or the extra hilly rides.

my 2 cents

I've ended up with a 50, 33 X 13-29 or 32, which works great for all the mountains and hills I ride. My cadence is 80 so the 13 does not represent a problem on flats with a wind at the back or downhill as I generally coast. If I'm pushing downhill, I just up the cadence.

Best,

G

Im doubling - got a new bike a month ago, saracen ventoux, came with a double and i'm tellin u - its a ******* gettin up climbs in it

But with a double you go much quicker uphill especially as you need to put more effort into gettin up than you do with a triple.

In conclusion a double makes u look more like a pro and also despite makin u knackered up the damn hill it makes u get up it quicker and a result a 17 year old satisfied with his climbing performance!

Double here

FSA Compact 50/34 rear 11/23 9spd.

Works for me as I get back into shape. Looking forward to poping the 52/39 std double back on.

Wow! :) You make a lot of sense. I've thought a lot about my triple (9 speed cassette in the back) and how many of the gears I really use. Sometimes I think my 10-speed (total) was more suited to me, but if I get more experienced, maybe I'll be better at using them?
I've been riding in the foothills of the Blue Ridge for five years, so I've ridden hills, and I just got back from riding the Rockies for a month and didn't walk any of them, just used my granny (I have a 52-42-32) quite a bit. Some of the really experienced riders in the club say I just use the smallest one in the back and switch from the other three in the front (They're exaggerating: I vary a little more than that - I don't use the small one in the back with the small one in the front!)
Do you think I should switch to a double with a larger ring in the back? And maybe just five gears back there? I haven't approached my bike shop, but I'm a road bike rider and a woman, so sometimes they aren't so helpful, but I don't know how to "talk the talk" or whatever.
Thanks,
Colleen

Double, with a 26T .. only mentioning it to point out double does not automatically = no granny gear :rolleyes:
Equipment :

TA 44x26
9sp 13x25
Pair of office-withered desk-jockey legs

So .. no overlapping ratios, just one huge double shift required at the crossover point :D

JJ

Triple all the way for me. You never know what that next hill will be like here in the North Georgia mountains. Especially helpful if you do the 6-gap ride. It doesnt add any weight and it helps keep cadence up on the hills.