You wouldn't want to be doing this...

wafflycat

Guest
....on a £69.99 full-susser from Argos

Click on this link then scroll down a little to where is says "Crazy Stuff"
and has a pic of a mountain bike then click the play button.

http://www.dirtmag.co.uk/

;¬D

On 12/01/2007 18:54, wafflycat said,
> ...on a £69.99 full-susser from Argos

Well, you could, but I suspect the clip might have ended at 28 seconds :)

Mad. Absolutely stark raving mad!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

wafflycat wrote:
> ...on a £69.99 full-susser from Argos
>
> Click on this link then scroll down a little to where is says "Crazy Stuff"
> and has a pic of a mountain bike then click the play button.
>
> http://www.dirtmag.co.uk/
>
> ;¬D

Funny, I wanna go next!

And you're right a cheap full-susser would have 'shattered' on impact.

Laters,

Marz

wafflycat wrote:
> ...on a £69.99 full-susser from Argos
>
> Click on this link then scroll down a little to where is says "Crazy
> Stuff" and has a pic of a mountain bike then click the play button.
>
> http://www.dirtmag.co.uk/
>
> ;¬D

This had been advertised in today's CTC Mailout.
Does this mean you still receiving it?
I thought you had resigned in a tantrum over Jon Snow's appointment.

tt

In article <[email protected]>, wafflycat
w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com says...
> ...on a £69.99 full-susser from Argos
>
> Click on this link then scroll down a little to where is says "Crazy Stuff"
> and has a pic of a mountain bike then click the play button.
>
> http://www.dirtmag.co.uk/
>
> ;¬D

Is it really so unglaublich? Ski jumpers do it, and they don't have any
suspension apart from their legs. I wonder how the take-off and landing
speeds compare.

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 03:38, Rob Morley wrote:

> wafflycat wrote:
>>
>> ...on a £69.99 full-susser from Argos
>>
>> Click on this link then scroll down a little to where is says
>> "Crazy Stuff" and has a pic of a mountain bike then click
>> the play button.
>>
>> http://www.dirtmag.co.uk/

> Is it really so unglaublich? Ski jumpers do it, and they don't
> have any suspension apart from their legs. I wonder how the
> take-off and landing speeds compare.

Skier is lighter, but has much less aerodynamic drag, so ought to go a
lot faster. Friction ski to ice is low to minimal, rolling resistance
of bike merely low, so I'd not expect significant effect there.

A ski-jumper (AIUI) gets a certain amount of aerodynamic lift during
"flight", which I very much doubt the bike does, so the trajectory off
the ramp is likely to be different, with the skier going farther for
the same take-off speed.

Landing area is specifically designed for someone leaving the take-off
ramp at high speed, so the angle _should_ be such as to minimise the
thump of returning to earth? The main problem I would expect would be
due to the aerodynamic difference of flight, so the biker returns to
earth at a less glancing angle.

Since the cyclist is wearing an oversize h****t, I wonder whether the
drag of same is tending to rotate him backwards, and what effect that
has on everything?

--
Tim Forcer [email protected]
The University of Southampton, UK

The University is not responsible for my opinions

Tim Forcer wrote:

>On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 03:38, Rob Morley wrote:
>>
>> wafflycat wrote:
>>>
>>> ...on a £69.99 full-susser from Argos
>>>
>>> Click on this link then scroll down a little to where is says
>>> "Crazy Stuff" and has a pic of a mountain bike then click
>>> the play button.
>>>
>>> http://www.dirtmag.co.uk/

>> Is it really so unglaublich? Ski jumpers do it, and they don't
>> have any suspension apart from their legs. I wonder how the
>> take-off and landing speeds compare.

>Skier is lighter, but has much less aerodynamic drag, so ought to go a
>lot faster. Friction ski to ice is low to minimal, rolling resistance
>of bike merely low, so I'd not expect significant effect there.

Until you land and fall off. If the skijumper makes a mess of his
landing he's on hard packed snow and will slide to the bottom of the
hill. The rider has to make his landing because if he falls off he's
going to go tumbling down the grass.

Ambrose Nankivell said the following on 16/01/2007 14:34:

> The front wheel touched down (slightly) first. Would you normally do that
> landing a big jump or not.

Apparently you do, so that you have steering control quicker. In my
younger days jumping off 6ft edges I did prefer to land front wheel
first, but small drop-offs it's back wheel first or flat if possible.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Paul Boyd wrote:
> Ambrose Nankivell said the following on 16/01/2007 14:34:
>
>> The front wheel touched down (slightly) first. Would you normally do
>> that landing a big jump or not.

> Apparently you do, so that you have steering control quicker. In my
> younger days jumping off 6ft edges I did prefer to land front wheel
> first, but small drop-offs it's back wheel first or flat if possible.

Ah. I will bear that in mind.

Should I decide that it's a trick I want to learn how to do.

On a not unrelated note, skateboarders can do the same:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX7YJLpCu9Q

Ambrose Nankivell said the following on 16/01/2007 15:57:

> Should I decide that it's a trick I want to learn how to do.

On another not unrelated note, the current issue of Singletrack has an
article about the Rough Stuff Fellowship. Basically, two seasoned
MTBers went along on an RSF ride, expecting to get an amusing story out
of these old-timers riding touring bikes off-road. They came away
suitably impressed! I liked the description of one of the MTBers
charging off, and knowing that one of the RSFers was still behind him
because of the rattling panniers. Brilliant!

I was interested to see that the RSF have been going for donkeys years -
several decades before MTBs appeared on the scene. Hmmm...

http://www.rsf.org.uk/ for further reading, not that I'm old enough to
consider joining :)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Paul Boyd <usenet.dont.work@plusnet> wrote:
> I was interested to see that the RSF have been going for donkeys
> years - several decades before MTBs appeared on the scene. Hmmm...
>
> http://www.rsf.org.uk/ for further reading, not that I'm old enough to
> consider joining :)

If you change your wiggle bookmark from
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/default.aspx?Cat=cycle

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/default.aspx?ReferID=rsf

The RSF get a couple of pence from every pound you spend there, at no extra
cost to you.

It's an easy way to do someone a little good.

Tom
--
Return address is dead. Real address is at
http://www.happy-penguin.info/address.jpg

Paul Boyd <usenet.dont.work@plusnet> wrote:

> I'll do that. I don't have any connection with the RSF, but if they
> can make a few bob then why not?

Nor do I, I prefer to go around hills, not over them :)

Tom