Young, first-time summer swim coach seeking advice!

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Katie, Feb 14, 2004.

  1. Katie

    Katie Guest

    Hi everyone! This is my first post so please be kind. I recently got a job as head coach for a
    summer swim team and am very excited about it. I was an assistant for a different team last year but
    have never been a head coach before. I'm enthusiastic about this job and want to give it my best
    effort; I've been swimming for twelve years and it's a sport that is very close to my heart. I'm
    here to ask for some advice: any tips from coaches, swimmers or even parents of swimmers would be
    most appreciated. Thanks so much!

    Tags:

  2. Al

    Al Guest

    > Hi everyone! This is my first post so please be kind. I recently got a job as head coach for a
    > summer swim team and am very excited about it. I was an assistant for a different team last year
    > but have never been a head coach before. I'm enthusiastic about this job and want to give it my
    > best effort; I've been swimming for twelve years and it's a sport that is very close to my heart.
    > I'm here to ask for some advice: any tips from coaches, swimmers or even parents of swimmers would
    > be most appreciated. Thanks so much!

    Chase any parents off the pool deck with a stick that attempt to communicate with swimmers during
    practice (if you let them get that close to the pool to begin with.)

    - Al

  3. Diablo

    Diablo Guest

    Katie,

    Its kind of hard to know where to start. are you looking at programming and planning, ideas for sets
    and drills, etc? also, what is the ability level, even rough examples of times, size of squad etc
    would be helpful. i'd love to help you out, if you can narrow down what you need!

    Steve

    "Katie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi everyone! This is my first post so please be kind. I recently got a job as head coach for a
    > summer swim team and am very excited about it. I was an assistant for a different team last year
    > but have never been a head coach before. I'm enthusiastic about this job and want to give it my
    > best effort; I've been swimming for twelve years and it's a sport that is very close to my heart.
    > I'm here to ask for some advice: any tips from coaches, swimmers or even parents of swimmers would
    > be most appreciated. Thanks so much!

  4. De Valois

    De Valois Guest

    Katie left this mess on 14 Feb 2004 16:57:15 -0800 for The Way to clean up:

    >Hi everyone! This is my first post so please be kind. I recently got a job as head coach for a
    >summer swim team and am very excited about it. I was an assistant for a different team last year
    >but have never been a head coach before. I'm enthusiastic about this job and want to give it my
    >best effort; I've been swimming for twelve years and it's a sport that is very close to my heart.
    >I'm here to ask for some advice: any tips from coaches, swimmers or even parents of swimmers would
    >be most appreciated. Thanks so much!

    Katie, as a former swimmer, a coach AND a parent...

    Take a deep breath. Count to ten. Then count to a hundred. Take another breath. Then deal with it :)

    Tao te Carl "It takes a village to have an idiot." - Carl (c) 2003

    (Kudos to Cap'n Jim Wyatt for this link) BEFORE you ask a dumb-ass question
    here...http://www.speakeasy.org/~neilco/bart.gif

  5. "Al" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]posting.google.com>, [email protected] says...
    > > Hi everyone! This is my first post so please be kind. I recently got a job as head coach for a
    > > summer swim team and am very excited about it. I was an assistant for a different team last year
    > > but have never been a head coach before. I'm enthusiastic about this job and want to give it my
    > > best effort; I've been swimming for twelve years and it's a sport that is very close to my
    > > heart. I'm here to ask for some advice: any tips from coaches, swimmers or even parents of
    > > swimmers would be most appreciated. Thanks so much!
    >
    > Chase any parents off the pool deck with a stick that attempt to communicate with swimmers during
    > practice (if you let them get that close to the pool to begin with.)
    >
    > - Al

    take Al's comment with a grain of salt...as a new and young coach, you'll NEED lots of parent
    support, so be diplomatic in kicking the parents out. Sure, on a year-round dedicated team you need
    to keep a leash on some of the semi-pro coach parents, but on summer teams your more likely issue is
    the mom who wants to baby a six to ten year old doing swimming for the first time. Keep in mind,
    you're coaching a summer team here, not coaching junior nationals...if you alienate the parents,
    you're not going to be a head coach for long. You're going to have a lot of very inexperienced
    swimmers and parents will want to be involved. Figure out and make clear what's acceptable and
    unacceptable, when they can talk to you, etc. Coaches are hired to impart their knowledge, but it
    doesn't mean you know everything...I've seen a number of coaches who seem to think they know it all!
    Use parents to your advantage...you can quickly figure out a who a few parents are who are reliable
    and dedicated, use them for running interference with other parents...on my daughter's team I and a
    couple of other parents try to get between the coach and new parents at practice, answering the
    questions we can and filling them in on the basic rules. Our team is a year-round USA/YMCA team and
    has a dozen or so strong 10 and unders and another 60 or so who range from beginning five year olds
    to medicore swimming early teens...there's little or no problem with the parents trying to coach,
    it's definitely more the mom's trying to mollycoddle.

    On the other hand, you do need to establish that you are the coach and you do rule the pool...young
    coaches, especially female, can have problems with smartassed teen boys. kick their butts for
    talking when you are talking, etc. Keep it fun, but when you're speaking everyone needs to shut up.

  6. Swanger

    Swanger Guest

    "Al" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > Hi everyone! This is my first post so please be kind. I recently got a job as head coach for a
    > > summer swim team and am very excited about it. I was an assistant for a different team last year
    > > but have never been a head coach before. I'm enthusiastic about this job and want to give it my
    > > best effort; I've been swimming for twelve years and it's a sport that is very close to my
    > > heart. I'm here to ask for some advice: any tips from coaches, swimmers or even parents of
    > > swimmers would be most appreciated. Thanks so much!
    >
    > Chase any parents off the pool deck with a stick that attempt to communicate with swimmers during
    > practice (if you let them get that close to the pool to begin with.)

    LOL,,,,our floundering local municipal pool finally got taken over by a first rate swim team from
    the next town over. My daughter had been swimming their, but now we can conveniently drive around
    the corner for swim practice. The other pool had stands and specific areas, well away from the deck,
    for the parents to watch. The new pool has no designations. So far, some of us parents have been
    standing right on the deck with the coaches. I don't say a damn word, as well, I tell the other
    parents to stay quiet! I'm really enjoying the better view. However, I suppose once the team gets
    bigger, our close proximity deck view will be ended.

    Rick Swanger

  7. Al

    Al Guest

    > "Al" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > Hi everyone! This is my first post so please be kind. I recently got a job as head coach for a
    > > > summer swim team and am very excited about it. I was an assistant for a different team last
    > > > year but have never been a head coach before. I'm enthusiastic about this job and want to give
    > > > it my best effort; I've been swimming for twelve years and it's a sport that is very close to
    > > > my heart. I'm here to ask for some advice: any tips from coaches, swimmers or even parents of
    > > > swimmers would be most appreciated. Thanks so much!
    > >
    > > Chase any parents off the pool deck with a stick that attempt to communicate with swimmers
    > > during practice (if you let them get that close to the pool to begin with.)
    > >
    > > - Al
    >
    > take Al's comment with a grain of salt...as a new and young coach, you'll NEED lots of parent
    > support, so be diplomatic in kicking the parents out. Sure, on a year-round dedicated team you
    > need to keep a leash on some of the semi-pro coach parents, but on summer teams your more likely
    > issue is the mom who wants to baby a six to ten year old doing swimming for the first time. Keep
    > in mind, you're coaching a summer team here, not coaching junior nationals...if you alienate the
    > parents, you're not going to be a head coach for long. You're going to have a lot of very
    > inexperienced swimmers and parents will want to be involved. Figure out and make clear what's
    > acceptable and unacceptable, when they can talk to you, etc. Coaches are hired to impart their
    > knowledge, but it doesn't mean you know everything...I've seen a number of coaches who seem to
    > think they know it all! Use parents to your advantage...you can quickly figure out a who a few
    > parents are who are reliable and dedicated, use them for running interference with other
    > parents...on my daughter's team I and a couple of other parents try to get between the coach and
    > new parents at practice, answering the questions we can and filling them in on the basic rules.
    > Our team is a year-round USA/YMCA team and has a dozen or so strong 10 and unders and another 60
    > or so who range from beginning five year olds to medicore swimming early teens...there's little or
    > no problem with the parents trying to coach, it's definitely more the mom's trying to mollycoddle.
    >
    > On the other hand, you do need to establish that you are the coach and you do rule the
    > pool...young coaches, especially female, can have problems with smartassed teen boys. kick their
    > butts for talking when you are talking, etc. Keep it fun, but when you're speaking everyone needs
    > to shut up.

    Glad you added these comments - it's good (particularly for a new coach) to hear from someone a
    little less jaded when it comes to parents :)

    - Al

  8. "Al" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > "Al" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    never

    > > > Chase any parents off the pool deck with a stick that attempt to communicate with swimmers
    > > > during practice (if you let them get that close to the pool to begin with.)
    > > >
    > > > - Al
    > >
    > > take Al's comment with a grain of salt...as a new and young coach,
    you'll
    > > NEED lots of parent support, so be diplomatic in kicking the parents
    out.
    > > Sure, on a year-round dedicated team you need to keep a leash on some of
    the
    > > semi-pro coach parents, but on summer teams your more likely issue is
    the
    > > mom who wants to baby a six to ten year old doing swimming for the first time. Keep in mind,
    > > you're coaching a summer team here, not coaching
    junior
    > > nationals...if you alienate the parents, you're not going to be a head
    coach
    > > for long. You're going to have a lot of very inexperienced swimmers and parents will want to be
    > > involved. Figure out and make clear what's acceptable and unacceptable, when they can talk to
    > > you, etc. Coaches
    are
    > > hired to impart their knowledge, but it doesn't mean you know everything...I've seen a number of
    > > coaches who seem to think they know
    it
    > > all! Use parents to your advantage...you can quickly figure out a who a
    few
    > > parents are who are reliable and dedicated, use them for running interference with other
    > > parents...on my daughter's team I and a couple
    of
    > > other parents try to get between the coach and new parents at practice, answering the questions
    > > we can and filling them in on the basic rules.
    Our
    > > team is a year-round USA/YMCA team and has a dozen or so strong 10 and unders and another 60 or
    > > so who range from beginning five year olds to medicore swimming early teens...there's little or
    > > no problem with the parents trying to coach, it's definitely more the mom's trying to
    > > mollycoddle.
    > >
    > > On the other hand, you do need to establish that you are the coach and
    you
    > > do rule the pool...young coaches, especially female, can have problems
    with
    > > smartassed teen boys. kick their butts for talking when you are
    talking,
    > > etc. Keep it fun, but when you're speaking everyone needs to shut up.
    >
    > Glad you added these comments - it's good (particularly for a new coach) to hear from someone a
    > little less jaded when it comes to parents :)
    >
    > - Al

    Hey, there are plenty of us swim parents who are pretty bad, but there are more of us who try and
    help and, if possible, do the things the coaches ask us to do. Unfortunately,the majority,
    especially with summer teams, are mostly disinterested beyond the fact it serves as partial
    daycare/babysitter.

    Summer swim teams are a different animal than the year round...my daughter's YMCA team swells from
    about 60+ in the rest of the year to about 100 in the summer, and way too many of those parents see
    it as an extension of daycamp.

    You'll really need to figure out who's who among the parents, ignore the ones who ignore you,
    cultivate the useful ones and keep an eye on the troublemakers...nothing will get you canned quicker
    than a bunch of p.o.'d parents!

  9. Al

    Al Guest

    > Hey, there are plenty of us swim parents who are pretty bad, but there are more of us who try and
    > help and, if possible, do the things the coaches ask us to do. Unfortunately,the majority,
    > especially with summer teams, are mostly disinterested beyond the fact it serves as partial
    > daycare/babysitter.

    Yes, the parents interested in helping without expecting anything in return (e.g., a spot on a relay
    for their kid) are a Godsend.

    > Summer swim teams are a different animal than the year round...my daughter's YMCA team swells from
    > about 60+ in the rest of the year to about 100 in the summer, and way too many of those parents
    > see it as an extension of daycamp.
    >
    > You'll really need to figure out who's who among the parents, ignore the ones who ignore you,
    > cultivate the useful ones and keep an eye on the troublemakers...nothing will get you canned
    > quicker than a bunch of p.o.'d parents!

    Been there, done that... er, had it done to me, I should say.

    - Al

  10. Katie

    Katie Guest

    "diablo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Katie,
    >
    > Its kind of hard to know where to start. are you looking at programming and planning, ideas for
    > sets and drills, etc? also, what is the ability level, even rough examples of times, size of squad
    > etc would be helpful. i'd love to help you out, if you can narrow down what you need!
    >
    > Steve

    Steve,

    My team has about sixty swimmers, seventy if you count guppies. They are slightly higher in ability
    than the swimmers I worked with last year, but that's not saying very much. Although there are a
    few who are above average, most are at the very beginning level. With the ten and unders 25 free,
    we're talking about thirty five seconds would be pretty good for this group; with the older kids'
    50 free, anything under a minute is good. All in all, mostly novices with a few at the higher
    levels (maybe one or two get under 35 seconds in the fifty free). There aren't many older kids; we
    have five 15/18's that I know of but they're fourteen year olds who've just moved up; guppies can
    be as young as four.

    I'm looking for any help you have! Mostly help on how to deal with difficult parents, though the
    advice that's already been given is very good. :) Drill ideas for novice swimmers would also be
    great: especially for teaching them to do the strokes legally...

    Thanks so much for your interest; I really appreciate it!

    To those who replied about the parents: points taken, both of them. I will try to find a middle
    ground. ;)

  11. Here's another thought...figure out who really runs things in the organization and what is the
    direction they want the team to go. At my daughter's Y, we lost the coach a little over a year ago
    when she refused to play the political games of the folks on the Y exec board as the Y folks
    responded to the squeaky wheel of the day...which at that point was handful of vocal lap swimmers
    pissed off the swim team had grown from under 20 to 70+ kids and they no longer had a pool to
    themselves at all hours . The coach quit, the Y announced they weren't going to swim USA any
    more...then we parents started squeaking, and the Y came back around to USA and hired a good coach.
    I sat with the director of the Y and just asked him to cut the BS and just let me know the direction
    of the team...if they wanted a developmental team doing Y meets only, fine, we were going to find
    another team. If they were going to put forth an effort to accomodate all kids, from the couple of
    boys with downs syndrome, to the 35 second 25 yard free kids, to the better kids like my daughter
    (she's one of the top eight year olds in dallas and all north texas), then great. I like having my
    kid on a team that has room for everyone, not just focusing on the elite swimmers, but not ignoring
    them, either.

    the previous coach and the exec board clearly had different perspectives of what the team was to be.
    i think getting it straight between yourself and the powers that be and then communicating that to
    the parents is vital.

    "Katie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "diablo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Katie,
    > >
    > > Its kind of hard to know where to start. are you looking at programming
    and
    > > planning, ideas for sets and drills, etc? also, what is the ability
    level,
    > > even rough examples of times, size of squad etc would be helpful. i'd
    love
    > > to help you out, if you can narrow down what you need!
    > >
    > > Steve
    > >

    > Steve,
    >
    > My team has about sixty swimmers, seventy if you count guppies. They are slightly higher in
    > ability than the swimmers I worked with last year, but that's not saying very much. Although there
    > are a few who are above average, most are at the very beginning level. With the ten and unders 25
    > free, we're talking about thirty five seconds would be pretty good for this group; with the older
    > kids' 50 free, anything under a minute is good. All in all, mostly novices with a few at the
    > higher levels (maybe one or two get under 35 seconds in the fifty free). There aren't many older
    > kids; we have five 15/18's that I know of but they're fourteen year olds who've just moved up;
    > guppies can be as young as four.
    >
    > I'm looking for any help you have! Mostly help on how to deal with difficult parents, though the
    > advice that's already been given is very good. :) Drill ideas for novice swimmers would also be
    > great: especially for teaching them to do the strokes legally...
    >
    > Thanks so much for your interest; I really appreciate it!
    >
    > To those who replied about the parents: points taken, both of them. I will try to find a middle
    > ground. ;)

  12. "Katie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "diablo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Katie,
    > >
    > > Its kind of hard to know where to start. are you looking at programming
    and
    > > planning, ideas for sets and drills, etc? also, what is the ability
    level,
    > > even rough examples of times, size of squad etc would be helpful. i'd
    love
    > > to help you out, if you can narrow down what you need!
    > >
    > > Steve
    > >

    > Steve,
    >
    > My team has about sixty swimmers, seventy if you count guppies. They are slightly higher in
    > ability than the swimmers I worked with last year, but that's not saying very much. Although there
    > are a few who are above average, most are at the very beginning level. With the ten and unders 25
    > free, we're talking about thirty five seconds would be pretty good for this group; with the older
    > kids' 50 free, anything under a minute is good. All in all, mostly novices with a few at the
    > higher levels (maybe one or two get under 35 seconds in the fifty free). There aren't many older
    > kids; we have five 15/18's that I know of but they're fourteen year olds who've just moved up;
    > guppies can be as young as four.
    >
    > I'm looking for any help you have! Mostly help on how to deal with difficult parents, though the
    > advice that's already been given is very good. :) Drill ideas for novice swimmers would also be
    > great: especially for teaching them to do the strokes legally...
    >
    > Thanks so much for your interest; I really appreciate it!
    >
    > To those who replied about the parents: points taken, both of them. I will try to find a middle
    > ground. ;)

    The best strategy for 'difficult' parents is to get a swim session for them to swim themselves. If
    the join and you coach them, they'll suddenly become understanding, if they won't join they'll shut
    up out of shame. Either way, they'll be grateful to you for doing something for them as well as
    their kids, and see you in a better light.

  13. Diablo

    Diablo Guest

    Mike, i thought that was a great piece, and offered Katie some sound advice.

    My only point would be that the training methods you described for her group, (aerobic threshold,
    lactate production and lactate tolerance no less!), are way out of their league i imagine.

    I would probably be doing a fairly lengthy warm up daily, (1000-1200 yards) which will cover your
    aerobic needs, The remainder of the time i would spend on drills, short sprints such as builds and
    breaks and then ancilliary skills such as turns and starts, with relays games and novelties mixed
    in. from what i gather of the general summer league programs, you have no need to be doing anything
    but this type of work.

    "Mike Edey" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
> [...]
    > turns & skills/drills. You might need to introduce your kids to the concept of 'appropriate
    > intensity' - most will prob be familiar with '50fr race pace' & 'jumping off the
    > bottom/warmup' and little else.
    >
    > -KISS. 95% of your kids, 95% of the time, need to hear the same things as the rest of the group.
    > Over & over again. This means you'll end up repeating the same advice 90% of the time. Don't try
    > to get to fancy, or spend too much time trying to mold little Johnny, the 45sec 50freestyler, into
    > an Olympic contender by tues. Just because you might know how you'd like your kids strokes (or
    > mental skills or race plans or fitness goals or....) to change doesn't mean they'll have to skills
    > & background to make those changes. Pick a few points you'd like to work on, establish _one_
    > phrase to identify each one, attempt _many_ descriptions (verbal, visual, kinesthetic) for each.
    > Spend some time trying to 'close the feedback loop'
    > - to associate the 'feel' of the stroke/skill with the visual identification. Video work is ideal
    > for this, but not usually practical. How creative can you be in your attempts to close the loop?
    > Please share exercises you find useful ;)
    >
    > -Talk. Many coaches are more then happy to offer advice, you just have to ask. Well that's not
    > entirely true - it helps _enormously_ if you have a clear, succinct question to ask. Eric Raymond
    > wrote a great paper "How to ask questions the smart way" (http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-
    > questions.html) which, while originally intended to ease the pain of seeking advice from the
    > resident techy, offers great advice for obtaining useful information from those who might not feel
    > any great obligation to share with you.
    >
    > -Enjoy successes. There are so many ways to be successful at the pool - the only hard part is
    > recognizing & appreciating them. As a swimmer it's easy to get hung up on a race that was a little
    > dissapointing, time wise, and neglect the great turns or adherence to race plan, or focus, or
    > start, or reaction time, or streamlines, or break outs, or transitions, or kick, or breathing
    > pattern, or body position, or stroke form, or approach, or turns, or aggressiveness, or
    > graciousness, or cheering, or team leadership or workout attendance, or attention to stretching,
    > or warmups, or warmdowns, or good use of the pace clock, or attention in workout, or 'water bottle
    > attendance', or ....
    >
    > As a coach the same applies - you're there to help aid the growth & development of a group of
    > children, both as athletes & people. Should this same group of kids swim fast on weekend X so much
    > the better, but that's a side benefit. Just as there's many ways to be a better swimmer there's
    > many ways to be a better coach. Don't neglect the countless ways you can be a better role
    > model/manager/director/counsellor. How many ways did you succeed today?

  14. "diablo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]...
    > Mike, i thought that was a great piece, and offered Katie some sound
    advice.

    > My only point would be that the training methods you described for her group, (aerobic threshold,
    > lactate production and lactate tolerance no less!), are way out of their league i imagine.
    >
    > I would probably be doing a fairly lengthy warm up daily, (1000-1200
    yards)
    > which will cover your aerobic needs, The remainder of the time i would
    spend
    > on drills, short sprints such as builds and breaks and then ancilliary skills such as turns and
    > starts, with relays games and novelties mixed in. from what i gather of the general summer league
    > programs, you have no need to be doing anything but this type of work.

    Even that sounds like too much, at least on the warmup end...if the bulk of the team would be happy
    with 35 second 25 frees, a thousand will take about an hour!

> [...]
    kick,
    > > or breathing pattern, or body position, or stroke form, or approach, or turns, or
    > > aggressiveness, or graciousness, or cheering, or team
    leadership
    > > or workout attendance, or attention to stretching, or warmups, or warmdowns, or good use of the
    > > pace clock, or attention in workout, or 'water bottle attendance', or ....
    > >
    > > As a coach the same applies - you're there to help aid the growth & development of a group of
    > > children, both as athletes & people. Should
    this
    > > same group of kids swim fast on weekend X so much the better, but that's
    > > side benefit. Just as there's many ways to be a better swimmer there's many ways to be a better
    > > coach. Don't neglect the countless ways you can be a better role
    > > model/manager/director/counsellor. How many ways did

  15. Diablo

    Diablo Guest

    thought they were 35 second 50's. my bad...

    in that case, yeah, all drills, all short sprints, all novelty skill work.

    "Count Scrofula" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

> [...]
    or
    > > > turns, or aggressiveness, or graciousness, or cheering, or team
    > leadership
    > > > or workout attendance, or attention to stretching, or warmups, or warmdowns, or good use of
    > > > the pace clock, or attention in workout, or 'water bottle attendance', or ....
    > > >
    > > > As a coach the same applies - you're there to help aid the growth & development of a group of
    > > > children, both as athletes & people. Should
    > this
    > > > same group of kids swim fast on weekend X so much the better, but
    that's
    > > > side benefit. Just as there's many ways to be a better swimmer there's many ways to be a
    > > > better coach. Don't neglect the countless ways you
    can
    > > > be a better role model/manager/director/counsellor. How many ways did

  16. Stp

    Stp Guest

    "Katie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi everyone! This is my first post so please be kind. I recently got a job as head coach for a
    > summer swim team and am very excited about it. I was an assistant for a different team last year
    > but have never been a head coach before. I'm enthusiastic about this job and want to give it my
    > best effort; I've been swimming for twelve years and it's a sport that is very close to my heart.
    > I'm here to ask for some advice: any tips from coaches, swimmers or even parents of swimmers would
    > be most appreciated. Thanks so much!

    I'll leave the in pool advise to the experts but as a former parent board prez for a summer league
    team, here's some observations.

    The job is more than just coaching. You're the CEO of the team. You probably report to a parent
    board but you're ultimately responsible for the whole shebang so think of yourself as a manager not
    just the coach. Learn to manage, delegate and supervise. Don't try to do everything yourself but you
    do need to make sure everything gets done. If coaching is your life's ambition, these are skills
    you'll have to master. If this is just a temporary stop on the road to somewhere else, these skills
    will serve you well in other endeavors. Take advantage of the learning opportunity.

    Hire good competent assistants that you like and will have fun working with. If the coaching staff
    is having fun, it will be infectious.

    Your group will be looking for fun and improvement, probably in that order. Make sure everyone
    (swimmers coaches and parents) at the end of the summer says "that was fun, I want to do that again
    next year."

    Fun and performance are not mutually exclusive. Ask a little more of the kids than you think they
    can handle. You'll be surprised both by the results in the pool and how much they like being
    challenged.

    STP

  17. [email protected] (Katie) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi everyone! This is my first post so please be kind. I recently got a job as head coach for a
    > summer swim team and am very excited about
    > it. I was an assistant for a different team last year but have never been a head coach before.
    > I'm enthusiastic about this job and want to give it my best effort; I've been swimming for
    > twelve years and it's a sport that is very close to my heart. I'm here to ask for some
    > advice: any tips from coaches, swimmers or even parents of swimmers would be most
    > appreciated. Thanks so much!

    You might find it helpful to read this article:

    http://www.totalimmersion.net/2003%20articles/june/summerleague.html

  18. Dani

    Dani Guest

    I think that the 'fun' thing, STP mentions, is one of the key things! It does NOT mean, that you
    have to play the clown all the time. The kids must feel, that you have fun working with them and
    beeing with them at the pool. You an have dedicated times for fun (like make some games in the water
    for warming up and/or closing the session)

    And for the parents: as others said here before, I can only tell you the same:

    work togehter with them as good as possible , make the first step: talk to them, inform them about
    your plans/goals/visions, invite them for a special 'open door' training session and tell them what
    you are doing and why.

    Have fun with the kids

    Dani (former teacher and parent of a 10y old swimmer)

  19. Katie

    Katie Guest

    [email protected] (Robert W. McAdams) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > You might find it helpful to read this article:
    >
    > http://www.totalimmersion.net/2003%20articles/june/summerleague.html

    I read this article, and the similar ones on the website. WOW!! I can't believe I missed this when I
    Googled "Swim Coach." Thank you very much for the valuable information. I do have one question,
    though. My dad is really into TI but I don't know much about it. Is a kickboard really that
    ineffective as a training tool for kids (it's the only equipment my pool has/can afford)? I used
    them last year with a group of very young kids and they seemed to be effective in many ways. For
    many it was the only way they could make it across the pool, and that helped them feel acomplished
    as well as learning to put their face in the water and breathe to the side without the added
    complication of arm movements. I probably used them several times a week. Would you suggest I use
    them less? Maybe the article meant that kickboards were not effective for more experienced
    swimmers...that I might buy, especially in summer swimming, though I think a six-beat kick in free
    is very important (I only just learned how to do it a few years ago and my sprints have improved
    immensely; it took me out of a slump where I couldn't make my arms any stronger but stil had an
    ineffective kick). Anyway, sorry for the ramble; the long and short of it is: are kickboards a valid
    training tool, and if so, for what abilities is this a good use of my time?

    Thanks again for the article!

  20. Diablo

    Diablo Guest

    Yes, Kickboards can be valuable, (i don't use them with my groups, but i don't discount their value)

    I think the question is, is TI a valuable teaching medium ;)