Young Newbie Cyclist - Advice Please

beetz15s

Nov 11, 2009
I just bought this

Marin Fairfax 2009 - Stock
Marin Fairfax '09 | BicycleBuys.com

I ride 12 miles everyday back and forth to work and ride at nights and weekend.
70 miles a week total. Bike is very smooth so far. Very happy

Im young 20 years 150 lbs 6'2 and have been cycling for about 3 months now. I have high metabolism eat a lot of food and junk mixed in there as well and I don't watch calories.

Question
How much training and dedication will i need to become mid range strong cyclist and perhaps eventually get into racing? and would you recommend changing handle bar style and bike in future?

beetz15s said:
I just bought this

Im young 20 years 150 lbs 6'2 and have been cycling for about 3 months now. I have high metabolism eat a lot of food and junk mixed in there as well and I don't watch calories.

Question
How much training and dedication will i need to become mid range strong cyclist and perhaps eventually get into racing? and would you recommend changing handle bar style and bike in future?
progress.gif

I would check out your Local Bike Shop ("LBS") and see if they have regular group rides. Many group rides are graded hardest to easiest, and try and work yourself up to the right group. For recreational riding with the easier groups, your bike is fine. If you find that you are really into it, you will have made buddies who can help you upgrade to a better bike to get into racing. On a budget, don't underestimate Craig's list or a buddy in the group looking to dump his high end bike and get a newer model solely due to bike lust. If you are really going to race, you are eventually going to have to get another bike. But I would work on the rider before the bike; and the easiest way is through a group. Once you've logged miles, you should check out other threads that will help you train more to get faster.

Rider a lot (more), Read a lot,( go to library see Lemond, Hinualt, carmichael, eddy b etc), find a racer/rider/team/group to teach you technique, work on your "spin", learn how to suffer, copy the best riders- you will learn what you need or if you want to

beetz15s said:
I just bought this

Question