Your 2010/current power profile metrics...

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by DancenMacabre, Mar 21, 2010.

1. ryanfiddler2000

ryanfiddler2000 New Member

www.usacycling.org -- Road Categorization Guidelines - Upgrades

The link above outlines the upgrading process. It's a new system. The old system made it difficult to upgrade from a cat 2 to 1. We used to receive no points for any results in races that did not meet the minimum 60 rider field limit. The problem was that most of the bigger races in my geographical area (in the middle of the U.S. where population densities are low), that had 60 guys in it was a Pro, 1, 2 field with a few pros and several cat 1 riders. I was expected to beat the pros and 1s to earn upgrade points. It was impossible. Now they offer partial points for races that don't meet the minimum 60 rider field limit. Additionally, in some states, Texas for example, they are offering cat 2 only fields, which makes it much more likely to earn upgrade points. When I first started racing, I was not on a team. I upgraded from cat 5 to cat 2 in my first season, however, I came from a triathlon background so I had considerable bike experience. When I became a 2 I got on a good regional amateur team, however, there were several strong cat 1s on the team so I became a domestique essentially. I learned a ton and got to travel to some bigger races b/c of the team I was on but it definitely prevented me from progressing in the category system. In hindsight I think I would have been better off waiting until I had earned my cat 1 status before joining the team. I still think it's best to find a team but it's equally important that the team be composed of riders in your category so that everyone has a chance to ride for themselves occasionally and progress in their own racing goals. As far as what kinds of races, I did them all, crits, RR, stage races, etc...

The Physiology of Cycling: A Training Blog

2. ekrasnai

ekrasnai New Member

It is also important to remember that doing some numbers in testing is one thing but doing them in racing is another.

The other big factor to moving up categories is how many times you can make the efforts. Being able to repeat the big efforts is the key! As a cat 2 I know many 3's and some 4's who have better numbers but they can not repeat them over and over.
    ed

3. hammonjj

hammonjj New Member

This is my exact problem. I have better numbers than many of my fellow 3's and 2's, but I just can't repeat the efforts like they can.

4. tonyzackery

tonyzackery Well-Known Member

Gotta notarize the aforementioned posts about high power repeatability being critical to successful racing in the upper categories.

2010 high wattage numbers from races only:

5s - 1402w
    30s - 885w
    60s - 621w
    5min - 387w
    20min - 333w

I'd put my FTP around 320-330w based on training rides.
    Cat. 3, sprinter. 89kgs.

5. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

Quote: Originally Posted by tonyzackery .

Gotta notarize the aforementioned posts about high power repeatability being critical to successful racing in the upper categories.

2010 high wattage numbers from races only:

5s - 1402w
    30s - 885w
    60s - 621w
    5min - 387w
    20min - 333w

I'd put my FTP around 320-330w based on training rides.
    Cat. 3, sprinter. 89kgs.

You'd be hard to beat at the end of a race!

6. fergie

fergie Member

5s - 1270
    1m - 532
    5m - 333
    20m - 298
    60m - 266

7. smaryka

smaryka Member

Had a look back over my numbers from my March post to this thread and thought I should update now that my season is basically over:

5s - 752w
    1m - 442w
    5m - 313w*
    20m - 264w*
    60m - 245w*
    Racing category 1W

* these are NP taken from tough crit races and training sessions so might be a tad high I think. I've got some short hillclimb TTs coming up so hopefully my 5min AP can be closer to that NP.

Did lots of races this season, no specific training for them other than what/how I felt (which tends to be a mix of everything -- long rides with hills, short hard rides, sprint sessions from time to time). Racing about twice a week was really good training too. I just improved because I raced a lot I think.

Some of the women I raced against this season went on to do some UCI 2.2 races on the continent and a few of them did quite well (top 20). So you can be in the women's pro peloton with 4.5w/kg more or less. I would be nowhere near winning those races but I could definitely be a domestique.

Originally Posted by smaryka .

5s - 720w
    1m - 400w
    5m - 295w
    20m - 255w
    60m - 226 w (still never done a good 60-min effort but my FTP in WKO these days is ~235w based on other data)
    Racing category: 2W
    Rider type or what you consider your strength: all-arounder

Currently 53kg, a couple above where I'd like to be. (Nearly) 36-year-old female.

I hardly ever do any testing so 1m, 5m, 20m are taken from last year's numbers + educated guess from recent data as to what I can do.

8. DancenMacabre

DancenMacabre New Member

Well done Smaryka :)

Your sprint especially, to hit that in a race is doubly impressive since most of us are right knackered by the time the finish comes around. Have you done any sprints lately while fresh? I bet you could do even higher wattages...

I wouldn't trust the 5 & 20 minute numbers though as they are probably inflated due to the way NP works. The NP alogorithim is a lot more robust if you get at least 40 minutes, and ideally 60.

Maybe 2 months after I started training, I did a sprint session and got a 5 minute NP of 350+ even though my 5mmp, in AP that is, at the time was < 250 /img/vbsmilies/smilies/redface.gif

9. postal_bag

postal_bag New Member

First post in a long time. My season was somewhat of a bust due to a serious crash in the season opener. I managed to re-gain motivation to train, after ~5 weeks off, but haven't raced at all.

These numbers are from training rides - no testing whatsoever:

5s - 995 w (haven't actually attempted a single sprint this year, but my best from last year was 1164 w)
    1m - 547 w (623 w is my best from last season)
    5m - 405 w (417 w last season)
    20m - 359 w (368 w last season)
    60m - 351 w (345 w last season)

43 year old male, 73 kg, 6' 3". I estimate my FTP to be 365 w.

I train 5 days a week for a total of 10-14 hours, with 3 solo rides including 1 or 2 trainer rides indoors, and 1 or 2 group rides on the weekend. No structure other than riding almost as hard as I can over various durations from 20' up to ~ 4 hrs. Ends up being tons of SST. In fact, 60% of my training time this month has been spent in L3 (31%) and L4 (29%). Suffered a second setback in the form of food poisoning at the beginning of August, but I'm now deep into my third re-build (should be ready for Christmas):

[​IMG]

10. smaryka

smaryka Member

The sprint was my first big attack of the race in a crit, at about 10 min into it so fairly fresh. But yeah I would like to get above 800 at some point... seems like the conditions need to be right to nail those high sprint wattages though, for me anyway.

The NP numbers are definitely inflated, I agree. Though for racing -- especially hilly races or crits -- those numbers are useful to compare to themselves (i.e., other similar races). I've done 240w in a 60min testing session so that's my FTP. My one attempt at a 20min test (10 mile TT) involved me making a wrong turn and losing so much time that I bailed on it. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/mad.gif

The 5min NP was set the other day around the 1min peak power record -- i.e., the minutes before and after my 1min effort, holding a very fast guy's wheel up a hill into a headwind. Makes me think that properly motivated I could blow away that 1min peak too! Peak 5min AP I hope to improve with my hill climb TTs coming up.

It's all fun stuff but I've ignored my numbers this year in favour of going for wins... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

Just wondered how you got that estimate if your best 60m is only 351w?

11. postal_bag

postal_bag New Member

That was part of a 1h 45m ride, not a test, not fresh...hard, but not a max type effort. I also recently did 329 w AP, 350 w NP for 1:59 and 363 w NP for 1:06 as part of a 2h 10m ride, and 326 w NP for a 2h 56m ride, and 317 w NP for a 3h 56m ride. Maybe I should leave my FTP set at 355 w, but I just sense it's more like 365. I don't really do tests.

12. smaryka

smaryka Member

Or just go out and do a 25 mile TT... or 60-min crit where you attack from the outset and hold everyone off. :)

13. PhilBixby

PhilBixby New Member

Okay, last race last weekend so some end-of-season figures here:-

5sec 1099W
    1min 524W
    5min 318W
    20min 286W
    60min 240W

70kg / 51yo / UK 4th cat vet

14. JibberJim

JibberJim Member

I guess you mostly race LVRC? How do you do in those?

15. PhilBixby

PhilBixby New Member

Hi Jim

I do a mixture of stuff:- BC 3rd/4th and 2nd/3rd/4th races, TLI road races (this year the East Yorkshire Road Race League, which was excellent) and - as you suggest - LVRC events, which I enjoy the most. I've raced for about six years and have managed to "run up the down escalator" fast enough to improve my performance despite my increasing age over that period. This year was fun; no placings in LVRC events but I was spending races up near the front, and getting in a few breaks. I tend to lack the ooomph and confidence to attack, and my sense of self-preservation is a bit strong for mixing it in sprints. But I enjoy racing, and those numbers allow me to be competitive rather than simply riding round in the bunch all the time. Next season....

16. JibberJim

JibberJim Member

I was wondering, because I've seen a lot of guys get out of 4th cat with no more hour watts than you especially with your 5second and 1 minute being very strong, but I'm not surprised with your choice of opting out of the sprint, I generally do that too. I hope I've still got your 5second when I'm in my 50's!

17. PhilBixby

PhilBixby New Member

As part of the "running up the down escalator" I mentioned in my earlier post, I've worked on sprinting using a great regime I saw in the LVRC mag a couple of years back; over a period of around three months do two one-hour sessions each week. Start with 15sec sprint, 15sec recovery, 15sec sprint etc for the hour. Next week go to 15sec sprint, 30sec recovery. Each week you ratchet up the intensity and increase the recovery, but keeping leg speed up. 45sec, 1min, 1min 30sec, 1min 45sec then 2min 45sec etc up to 4min 45sec. Two years ago my best 5sec power was around 890W, this year I was one Watt shy of 1100. Even with my aversion to bashing elbows on the final run-in to the line this is useful - the SRMs show I'm up into that sort of Wattage territory just getting across gaps during races, so it's not all for nowt!

18. giannip

giannip New Member

5s: 1300
    1Min: 634
    5Min: 431
    20Min: 338
    60Min: 300

69KG 37Years Cat 3

19. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

With that kind of power he wouldn't be riding for an hour in a 25 /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif

The 60 minute crit idea sounds like a laugh - it'd be like Boardman when he won the Tour of Lancashire by doing a Riis and riding off the front in the hills. In the final crit, in "grand and flamboyant" downtown Chorley, people were attacking him left and right but he just sat on the front and rode around at 30 mph and pulled 'em all back in. God knows what his FTP was at the time - probably somewhere in excess of 420watts. Not too far off the time he did his first hour record.

20. Slacker4

Slacker4 New Member

You and I are pretty similar. I'm 37 and Cat 2, live and race in Norcal. I've never really trained, spent the last couple years doing long miles and racing here and there with some decent finishes as top Cat 2 in some big Pro1/2 fields. It's been 4 years since I did an interval of any type. Pro's I've raced against the past 2 years...Armstrong, Leipheimer, Horner, Rodriguez, Jackson Stewart, Ben Jacque Mayne, Andy Jacque Mayne, Borajo, Rahsaan Bahatti, Daniel Holloway etc..I could go on for a bit. Decided I would put in some effort to get to Cat 1 this year. Numbers pulled from rides and races over the past 2 years.

5 sec 1122 watts 16.7 w/kg
    1 min 513watts 7.6 w/kg
    5 min 401 watts 6.0 w/kg
    20 min 338 watts 5.0 w/kg

I raced at 148 lbs (67 kg) this past season. I'm more of an all rounder...better sprinter than climber. Best courses are those with short punchy climbs on rough roads where the toughest guy has the best chance of winning. I prefer hanging onto the climbers and out sprinting them from a small group. I do well at crits also but HATE long climbs.

These power numbers are pretty accurate except for the 1 minute, that is the type of effort you really have to go test as you don't replicate that in a race or out doing 100 mile rides with the buddies like I do. My weakness this past 2 years has been my lack of acceleration...ftp has me at Cat 1 level but i've never "trained" it. Never done a 60 minute effort, I think mine says about 280 from a race with lots of drafting and soft pedaling.