Your 2010/current power profile metrics...

Originally Posted by Slacker4 .

Quote: Originally Posted by giannip .

5s: 1300
1Min: 634
5Min: 431
20Min: 338
60Min: 300

69KG 37Years Cat 3

You and I are pretty similar. I'm 37 and Cat 2, live and race in Norcal. I've never really trained, spent the last couple years doing long miles and racing here and there with some decent finishes as top Cat 2 in some big Pro1/2 fields. It's been 4 years since I did an interval of any type. Pro's I've raced against the past 2 years...Armstrong, Leipheimer, Horner, Rodriguez, Jackson Stewart, Ben Jacque Mayne, Andy Jacque Mayne, Borajo, Rahsaan Bahatti, Daniel Holloway etc..I could go on for a bit. Decided I would put in some effort to get to Cat 1 this year. Numbers pulled from rides and races over the past 2 years.

5 sec 1122 watts 16.7 w/kg
1 min 513watts 7.6 w/kg
5 min 401 watts 6.0 w/kg
20 min 338 watts 5.0 w/kg

I raced at 148 lbs (67 kg) this past season. I'm more of an all rounder...better sprinter than climber. Best courses are those with short punchy climbs on rough roads where the toughest guy has the best chance of winning. I prefer hanging onto the climbers and out sprinting them from a small group. I do well at crits also but HATE long climbs.

These power numbers are pretty accurate except for the 1 minute, that is the type of effort you really have to go test as you don't replicate that in a race or out doing 100 mile rides with the buddies like I do. My weakness this past 2 years has been my lack of acceleration...ftp has me at Cat 1 level but i've never "trained" it. Never done a 60 minute effort, I think mine says about 280 from a race with lots of drafting and soft pedaling.

Cool. I assume you're based in the US ?

Originally Posted by Slacker4 .

You and I are pretty similar. I'm 37 and Cat 2, live and race in Norcal. I've never really trained, spent the last couple years doing long miles and racing here and there with some decent finishes as top Cat 2 in some big Pro1/2 fields. It's been 4 years since I did an interval of any type. Pro's I've raced against the past 2 years...Armstrong, Leipheimer, Horner, Rodriguez, Jackson Stewart, Ben Jacque Mayne, Andy Jacque Mayne, Borajo, Rahsaan Bahatti, Daniel Holloway etc..I could go on for a bit. Decided I would put in some effort to get to Cat 1 this year. Numbers pulled from rides and races over the past 2 years.

5 sec 1122 watts 16.7 w/kg
1 min 513watts 7.6 w/kg
5 min 401 watts 6.0 w/kg
20 min 338 watts 5.0 w/kg

I raced at 148 lbs (67 kg) this past season. I'm more of an all rounder...better sprinter than climber. Best courses are those with short punchy climbs on rough roads where the toughest guy has the best chance of winning. I prefer hanging onto the climbers and out sprinting them from a small group. I do well at crits also but HATE long climbs.

These power numbers are pretty accurate except for the 1 minute, that is the type of effort you really have to go test as you don't replicate that in a race or out doing 100 mile rides with the buddies like I do. My weakness this past 2 years has been my lack of acceleration...ftp has me at Cat 1 level but i've never "trained" it. Never done a 60 minute effort, I think mine says about 280 from a race with lots of drafting and soft pedaling.

Very nice numbers, and even nicer results. Cool that you can be a cat2 on so little structured training. It really speaks to the benefit of good old fashioned endurance miles. I have not been racing or training very long, but have always done lots of endurance miles, and attribute those miles to my respectable W/kg and to some successes early in my 1st season of racing. However, before "training", accelerations were my biggest weakness too, and the first thing that I saw major improvements in. By the end of my 1st season of training, I really started to trust my ability to make a good jump and open gaps on the field, and this is hugely important in getting a break started, or preparing a finish line sprint.

Looks like I am at the back of the pack, but it's fun seeing what others can really do. Last season was my first with power, Cat 5, 61 years young, about 90 kilo.

5 sec - 877
1 min - 511
5 min - 321
20 min - 254
60 min - 221

I can usually hang on the flats. One of my goals this off-season is to get the FTP and CTL up! I think the numbers will follow.

Great at sprinting, good sitting and conserving, good at tactics, BAD at bridging, pulling, climbing, Im in the wrong sport LOL /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

5s: 1400
1Min: 420
5Min: 310
20Min: 270
60Min: 245

5' 5", 160lbs/Cat 3/Masters 35+

This was my original viewwhen opening up Power Agent

Now when I open up Power Agent I get this view below, I hate it, does anyone know how I can get it back to my original view above

Quick answer ... short on time.

Use the "window" command in the upper bar - chose show users and show activities windows. That should add back the two left hand windows that you originally had. Highlight one of the activities and then the view selected activities button in the tool bar and I think you'll get your desired data view window on the right.

Thought I would update my numbers... haven't done an official test, these are from workouts for now: 5s - 1285 (Kind of want to round that up to 1300)
1m - 587
5m - 390
20m - 310
60m - 270
185 lbs (83kg) hopefully 178lbs(80kg) soon
Re: Your 2010/current power profile metrics... I guess this is a good way to introduce myself. I am new to these forums and racing in general. don't know what these values mean but wouldn't mind anyone telling me i need to rethink my training strategy to actually compete.

5s - 1200
1m - 497
5m - 310
20m - 268
60m - 240
some extra info:
190 lbs and 6'3"
I am a first year cat5 and have no idea what i am good at yet.

Good effort on the progress there oroden1 - I guess it's full on winter for you and there's no racing? (Here in the UK we can race year round) Did you get in any racing before the season ended?

UK TT'er. Top 10 amateur.
5s - 1400 est
1m - 630
5m - 450
20m - 400
60m - 370

70 KGs

Numbers have gone up considerably after a concerted winter intervals and high intensity focus.

5s- 1070W (17.3W/kg)
1min- 651W (10.5W/kg)
5min- 362W (5.8W/kg)
60min- 241W (3.9W/kg)

Thought I was a climber that could sprint but turns out I'm probably a sprinter that can climb. I'm about due to do another 5min power test, hopefully should be able to crack 6W/kg. Have never done 60min absolutely flat out so i'm pretty sure that could be a whole lot closer to 300W if I had. The 1min power came from my first ever 1min test the other day, surprised myself a little.

Hey Atopham, how much have your numbers gone up by?

My watts are prob just over 300 FT, i'm aroun 78kg, but that's a guess since i haven't done a proper PM test. I'm wondering how long it would take to get it to a more competitive level for TTing, etc. With your 370 watts, what can you average for a 40km TT? For mine i seem to be sitting on 39km/h average most of the time.

Stowy

Hi all

Just got the Power tap a few day ago...and trying to figure out the numbers. But here is the first ride out side.

moz-screenshot.png

5s: 1015. had to cut short darn car cut me off!
1min: 399
5 min: 254
20 min: 222
60 min: 202

One thing i am trying to wrap mu noodle around is my Power and Heart Rate numbers...During this ride my

Power zone was basically

Recovery 34:59 min for 44.19% of time
Endurance 27:42 min for 34:99 of time
Threshold 08:22 min for 10.57 % of time
Race Pace 02:04 min for 0.57% of time
Max 00:27 min for .19% of time

Now my Heart Rate Zone was

Recovery 01:01 min for 1.28% of time
Endurance 00:56 min for 1.18% of time
Threshold 23:08 min for 29.22% of time
Race Pace 49:23 min for 62.78% of time
Max 04:23 min for 5.54% of time

Anyone out there agree that the numbers are a bit funky?

Master 40+

Originally Posted by stowy .
My watts are prob just over 300 FT, i'm aroun 78kg, but that's a guess since i haven't done a proper PM test. I'm wondering how long it would take to get it to a more competitive level for TTing, etc. With your 370 watts, what can you average for a 40km TT? For mine i seem to be sitting on 39km/h average most of the time.
I believe atopham averaged over 49km/h for a 25 mile TT last year....

How long it will take you to get competitive depends what you mean by competitive, and in TT'ing equally how much time and money you're prepared to spend investing in positional and equipment improvements. Aero testing your position and equipment is likely a much better return than training initially.

Originally Posted by SulseP .

Hi all

Just got the Power tap a few day ago...and trying to figure out the numbers. But here is the first ride out side.

moz-screenshot.png

5s: 1015. had to cut short darn car cut me off!
1min: 399
5 min: 254
20 min: 222
60 min: 202

One thing i am trying to wrap mu noodle around is my Power and Heart Rate numbers...During this ride my

Power zone was basically

Recovery 34:59 min for 44.19% of time
Endurance 27:42 min for 34:99 of time
Threshold 08:22 min for 10.57 % of time
Race Pace 02:04 min for 0.57% of time
Max 00:27 min for .19% of time

Now my Heart Rate Zone was

Recovery 01:01 min for 1.28% of time
Endurance 00:56 min for 1.18% of time
Threshold 23:08 min for 29.22% of time
Race Pace 49:23 min for 62.78% of time
Max 04:23 min for 5.54% of time

Anyone out there agree that the numbers are a bit funky?

Master 40+
How have your calculated your HR zones and how did you calculate your power zones?

Not sure how you managed to spend so much time at Race Pace in HR (which as a name itself is a bit misleading, as anything above Threshold would be Vo2max zone so unless you race ~5 min races all the time, Race Pace sounds wrong), but something about those two scales is off. More info needed on how you created them to know for sure.

Thanks for the reply...

Not having done and FieldTests, as the weather has been brutal to say the least (New Jersey) I approximated my LTHR to be 167bpm. My resting HR is 48 bpm and my max is 193 bpm. Then i took the Power numbers that I produced in that HR zone.

But after looking at the setup on the Joule, my HR and Power zones were off in a big way.
I updated the Joule with "Correct" numbers. I will do an endurance workout on the rollers tonight.

I suspect that if i stay in PW Zone 2 - below 176-238 watts my HR should also reflect that of the HR endurance ride of 136-149 bpm avg...

I will share the numbers...

Hi Stowy
I averaged 350 watts in September last year but have since (Nov) averaged 380 watts for a 50 min simulation on the turbo. I have gained probably 20 to 25 watts of race power. About 10 watts more than I anticipated in terms of return for my high intensity focus through the winter

Yep that 49KPH was with 350 watts. Hoping for close to 51 KPH this season with 370 to 380 watts and some drag reduction

Originally Posted by SulseP .

Thanks for the reply...

Not having done and FieldTests, as the weather has been brutal to say the least (New Jersey) I approximated my LTHR to be 167bpm. My resting HR is 48 bpm and my max is 193 bpm. Then i took the Power numbers that I produced in that HR zone.

But after looking at the setup on the Joule, my HR and Power zones were off in a big way.
I updated the Joule with "Correct" numbers. I will do an endurance workout on the rollers tonight.

I suspect that if i stay in PW Zone 2 - below 176-238 watts my HR should also reflect that of the HR endurance ride of 136-149 bpm avg...

I will share the numbers...
Yeah you really need to do a test of both, which you can do fairly easily at the same time -- do a 30 min TT either on a trainer or outdoors (though you might have to wait a few months longer to get outdoors!) and take the last 20 min avg HR as your top of Z4/bottom of Z5a (Friel's zones). The avg. watts should be around 95% of FTP then you can use WKO to calculate Coggan's power zones which more or less should cross with Friel's.

Fwiw, my HR zones more often than not match with my power zones during normal training, and especially during cycle training for road racing and "normal" length events. However I have found that HR can be quite variable compared to power on any given day, so since getting a powertap I don't tend to look at HR that much unless I'm on a really awful day and want to know why! In training for Ironman I found that the higher training load and negative TSB I carried, the more depressed my HR was relative to power. This was even more apparent in running (but thankfully I run by pace, which is essentially the running version of training with power, otherwise if I'd been trying to hit target HRs I would have been killing myself overdoing it). Then on race day, fully tapered and rested, my HR for both bike and run shot up to normal or just above normal again, so I was glad to have power and pace to set my race paces and goals and be able to ignore HR!

The other thing is as you get fitter and your FTP goes up, you will notice you're putting out more watts for the same HR so you'll need to test and adjust your power zones regularly. But in 5+ years of solid training now, I've never really had to adjust my base HR zones (other than when very fatigued, as above, in which case I just ignore them...)

Hey people,

I've finally gotten my hands on a PT recently and been using for the last few weeks, and these are the numbers i've gotten from training/racing so far:

[SIZE= medium]time[/SIZE] [SIZE= medium]watts[/SIZE] [SIZE= medium]w/kg[/SIZE] [SIZE= medium]5s[/SIZE] [SIZE= medium]1200[/SIZE] [SIZE= medium] 15.58 [/SIZE] [SIZE= medium]30s[/SIZE] [SIZE= medium]831[/SIZE] [SIZE= medium] 10.79 [/SIZE] [SIZE= medium]1min[/SIZE] [SIZE= medium]735[/SIZE] [SIZE= medium] 9.55 [/SIZE] [SIZE= medium]5min[/SIZE] [SIZE= medium]426[/SIZE] [SIZE= medium] 5.53 [/SIZE] [SIZE= medium]15min[/SIZE] [SIZE= medium]383[/SIZE] [SIZE= medium] 4.97 [/SIZE] [SIZE= medium]~60min[/SIZE] [SIZE= medium]369[/SIZE] [SIZE= medium] 4.79 [/SIZE]
So for me, it looks like i am a hopeless sprinter but still punchy over 1min type efforts. These numbers come partly from uphill efforts, does this make a difference?

Also the 1hour i haven't tested properly, it's the number golden cheetah give for CP, do you think this is a good estimation?

Do i have any hope at becoming a better sprinter? I haven't really done any sprint training to date. I would like to improve this because here in Oz, you need to be able to sprint to win races.

Love to hear some informed opinions

Sam

stowy ---

I think you are beyond getting help on internet forums.

---

One of the things you learn as a racer is not to take better sprinters to the line with you. I think you might do better to concentrate on getting to the line with less capable sprinters.

The Nature Valley GP - a stage race, has been interesting. There is one pro team that holds the races together and then wins the sprints. Sort of foolish for the other teams to even be there. I think you are in the same situation.