Your 2010/current power profile metrics...



lanierb

New Member
Aug 12, 2004
495
2
0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark 86 .

I'm 49 and just finished my first full year of racing(I raced 5 times last year) and went from a Cat 5 to a Cat 3. The numbers I know are below:

5s:1350w
1m:700w
5m:?
20m:380w
60m:?

Wow those are nice numbers for your first year at age 49. Just imagine what you could have done at 25! Since this is your first year, you likely could even bring those numbers up a bit, which means quite honestly that you have at least a shot at Masters Nationals down the road. Keep at it!
 

An old Guy

Member
Feb 12, 2011
1,380
21
38
Originally Posted by Mark 86 .
I won 5 out of 15 races this year and only finished out of the top 5 when I crashed, flatted, or made a mistake(missed a break). I'm now addicted to the sport and wish I had started 30 years ago. I can't wait for next season(at age 50) so that I can race with faster riders. See you guys out there!
You do realize that when you race with the faster guys you will not finish as well.

Have fun.
 

Mark 86

New Member
Nov 2, 2011
7
1
0
I will get worked by the big dogs do doubt, but I might be able to hang in there sometimes... but it's all good. I average about 12 hours a week or so from March through October and a bit under 10 in the off season. I do two intense 1.5 hour rides during the week(fast group ride w/attacks, etc) and a long one(4 hours +/-) on Saturday w/some intensity and then a 2 hour cruise or easy climb on Sunday, plus two easy one hour junk mile rides during the week as well. I take Monday or Friday off depending on how I feel or what ride is coming up. If it's raining, then I puss out of the group stuff and do intervals on the trainer. I try to always get the long one in even if it means fighting with my wife(I don't always get my way), or if it's raining.
 

mdloc0

New Member
Nov 28, 2011
6
0
0
Don't konw how this stacks up -

5 sec - 1019
10 sec - 981
1 min - 511 (mistyped first was 811)
5min - 346
20 min - 277

MDL
 

daveryanwyoming

Well-Known Member
Oct 3, 2006
3,857
95
0
Originally Posted by mdloc0 .

Don't konw how this stacks up -

5 sec - 1019
10 sec - 981
1 min - 811
5min - 346
20 min - 277

MDL

With numbers like that I'd head to the nearest track to race the Kilo and perhaps the individual pursuit.

If road is more of your thing then you should work hard on that 20 minute power as there's likely a lot of room for development there relative to your minute and even 5 minute power.

-Dave

P.S. How much do you weigh?
 

upstateSC-rider

New Member
Jul 27, 2004
68
0
6
56
I was going over my stats for last season and looked at my numbers from August through September (since my early season pretty much flat-lined).

5 sec - 1155 ( In August '10 I had a 1372, I haven't done the first sprint workout this past year and it showed)
1 min - 574
5 min - 345
20 min - 286
I had my FTP set to 290, 45 yo, Cat 4, 5'8", and 87 kilos ( /img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif ).
I love climbing so go figure. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif
 

mdloc0

New Member
Nov 28, 2011
6
0
0
Originally Posted by daveryanwyoming .



With numbers like that I'd head to the nearest track to race the Kilo and perhaps the individual pursuit.

If road is more of your thing then you should work hard on that 20 minute power as there's likely a lot of room for development there relative to your minute and even 5 minute power.

-Dave

P.S. How much do you weigh?
Sorry Dave,

Been busy with Xmas trade at work. I weight 77kg's, which for most of you is 169.4lbs.

Did a eltie C race over the weekend, which i think will give me some new training figures. I have put them below for the race.

Entire workout (265 watts):
Duration: 45:59
Work: 731 kJ
TSS: 82.3 (intensity factor 1.042)
Norm Power: 297
VI: 1.12
Pw:HR: 3.59%
Pa:HR: 4.4%
Distance: 29.058 km
Elevation Gain: 183 m
Elevation Loss: 183 m
Grade: 0.0 % (3 m)
Min Max Avg
Power: 0 903 265 watts
Heart Rate: 149 187 179 bpm
Cadence: 11 128 98 rpm
Speed: 19.5 58.8 37.9 kph
Pace 1:01 3:05 1:35 min/km
Altitude: 549 563 557 m
Crank Torque: 0 93.7 25.3 N-m
Temperature: 27 31 29.5 Celsius

MDL
 

daveryanwyoming

Well-Known Member
Oct 3, 2006
3,857
95
0
Originally Posted by mdloc0 .
..... I weight 77kg's, which for most of you is 169.4lbs.......
Hmmmm, then I suspect there's an issue with that 1 minute power number you listed as it puts you over 10.5 w/kg for a minute which puts you on par with professional track cyclists. If you really can put out that kind of power then you should simply take off with approximately 1 km to go in your upcoming races and flat out ride everyone off your wheel as there are very few amateur road cyclists that can put out anywhere near 10 w/kg for a full minute. But I suspect there's some kind of error with that number as it isn't really consistent with your 5 second and 5 minute number.


...Norm Power: 297...
That suggests your 20 minute best at 277 watts is somewhat lowball and you might want to go out and really test yourself for 20 minutes or even a full hour somewhere with steady and unbroken terrain like a long flat stretch of road, a steady climb that's long and not too steep or something like laps on a velodrome to see what you can really do for sustained efforts with no interruptions.

-Dave
 

mdloc0

New Member
Nov 28, 2011
6
0
0
Yeah i screwed up and typed in the wrong figure lol, Davey, what you think about the race data? any tips on going from here? NP of 297 only my first race really. Didn't go to bad till the end lol.

MDL

Originally Posted by daveryanwyoming .


Hmmmm, then I suspect there's an issue with that 1 minute power number you listed as it puts you over 10.5 w/kg for a minute which puts you on par with professional track cyclists. If you really can put out that kind of power then you should simply take off with approximately 1 km to go in your upcoming races and flat out ride everyone off your wheel as there are very few amateur road cyclists that can put out anywhere near 10 w/kg for a full minute. But I suspect there's some kind of error with that number as it isn't really consistent with your 5 second and 5 minute number.


That suggests your 20 minute best at 277 watts is somewhat lowball and you might want to go out and really test yourself for 20 minutes or even a full hour somewhere with steady and unbroken terrain like a long flat stretch of road, a steady climb that's long and not too steep or something like laps on a velodrome to see what you can really do for sustained efforts with no interruptions.

-Dave
 

daveryanwyoming

Well-Known Member
Oct 3, 2006
3,857
95
0
Originally Posted by mdloc0 .


.... what you think about the race data? any tips on going from here? NP of 297 only my first race really. ...

The power numbers in isolation don't tell much other than what I've already pointed out, if you held an NP of 297 for 45 minutes then it is very likely you can sustain more than 277 watts for your best 20 minutes under ideal conditions.

Review your power file from the standpoint of what went well and particularly areas where you struggled during your race. That will tell you more than the summary statistics. And as useful as power data can be, mentally reviewing the race and asking yourself questions such as how well you were positioned at critical points in the race, whether you drafted as well as you could, cornered with confidence without letting gaps open, perhaps braked more than necessary, perhaps allowed gaps to open that you then had to close or missed opportunities to advance or maintain a forward position in the closing minutes. Those sort of observations can help you pinpoint areas for improvement and then considering the power data for those times can help you understand either the cost of those tactics or perhaps ways to target your training to your specific needs.

But on a million mile scale 297 watts NP for 45 minutes of racing at 77 kg suggests you've got decent power for a beginning racer. Mean speed of nearly 40 kph suggests you stayed with the group and likely have decent bike handling skills and peak speed of 58.8 kph suggests you've got some sprint in you and were still in contact with the leaders when the sprint wound up. Hitting that speed on a peak power of roughly 900 watts suggests you were following faster wheels which is good but perhaps didn't have the positioning or opportunity to jump clear at the end. But those are all wild guesses based on not nearly enough information. Point is there's only so much to read into the summary data and it's the details and mapping those details to important portions of the race that matter the most.

Good luck,
-Dave
 

RapDaddyo

Active Member
May 17, 2005
5,088
41
48
78
Originally Posted by mdloc0 .

Yeah i screwed up and typed in the wrong figure lol, Davey, what you think about the race data? any tips on going from here? NP of 297 only my first race really. Didn't go to bad till the end lol.

MDL
A quick guess is that you might improve your crit performances by working to improve your anaerobic work capacity. Your aerobic power looks to be sufficient, at least for crits and shortish road races. But, races tend to expose deficiencies in anaerobic work capacity because the repeated anaerobic efforts (e.g., coming out of corners and closing gaps) gradually deplete your AWC and eventually you get dropped. Along with Dave, I think your best strategy at the end is to launch a long sprint. My experience is that it takes something like 1500W 5-sec power to win a sprint in most regions, but you can win a long sprint with mediocre 5-sec power. This is a 2nd benefit of working on your AWC.
 

Sam1971

New Member
Nov 29, 2011
8
0
0
I guess this is a good a place to start on this board...

I'm 40 years old, 82kg, been cycling for almost 2 years (no exercise before that), had my power tap for about a year and have recently only just started to play around with intervals. The longest maximal effort Ive done so far is 6 minutes. Previous to that my power tap was just a really expensive speedo.


So I got
5sec - 1300w
30sec - 1020w
1min - 680w
5min - 350w ... this was done in the max 6 min effort which was 6min - 360w
20min - 280w
60min - 270w

Sam
 

bubsy

New Member
Sep 5, 2004
193
0
0
I know it's an old thread but I like it!
So just a few updates

5's 1148w I don't test or train this it just rises as 10 - 30 sec power rises.

30's 897w taken during a session of 25 sec sprints

1m 577w I don't test or train this either but this was taken after a short SST session and l had a few min's up my sleve so l did some 1min on/off stuff and got this.

My goal is to catch and pass Tony the meat axes 30's power of 900+ watts for 30's.... well not really l'm working on inproving my AWC and sprint so l can contest some of these shorter events that l USED to suck at, Club crit championships in a little over a week so it will be interesting to see what l can do when fresh and motivated, been digging a hole for a few months now with very little time off so couls be interesting.
Oh and weight is 73kg still a bit over weight but not that fussed over it.
 

AxelBrawn

New Member
Oct 4, 2011
4
0
0
Just got my quarq up and running and still collecting data.

Not a sprinter obviously!

10sec - 1048.7W
30sec - 556.3
1min - 443.90
5min - 360.4
20min - 316.8

All taken during a couple of hard rides. Looking forward to specifically testing a few segments to up the W!
 

numminummi

New Member
Oct 12, 2010
75
0
0
Got my powermeter in sep, so this is offseason numbers. I would think the 20 min is close my output in season but my sprint would be somewhat better in season.

5sec - 1301W
1min - 655W
5min - 360 (not testet as an all out - just from training)
20min - 324

Cat B rider. Second year of riding. Strong in the short efforts < 3 min but struggling in long breakaways.

Winter training have been 50 hrs dec, 60 hrs jan with mostly tempo, endurance and stranding starts/jumps + strength 1-2 times/week. Feb will come around 65 hrs with some more intensity in form of more tempo and threshold intervals.
 

RapDaddyo

Active Member
May 17, 2005
5,088
41
48
78
Originally Posted by numminummi .

Got my powermeter in sep, so this is offseason numbers. I would think the 20 min is close my output in season but my sprint would be somewhat better in season.

5sec - 1301W
1min - 655W
5min - 360 (not testet as an all out - just from training)
20min - 324

Cat B rider. Second year of riding. Strong in the short efforts < 3 min but struggling in long breakaways.

Winter training have been 50 hrs dec, 60 hrs jan with mostly tempo, endurance and stranding starts/jumps + strength 1-2 times/week. Feb will come around 65 hrs with some more intensity in form of more tempo and threshold intervals.
Pretty similar numbers to mine when I'm fit, although I can only do about 1200W for 5sec. Looks as though you might want to build your aerobic power, because your anaerobic power should be adequate for most events. A great time to build aerobic power is the off-season -- i.e., now.
 

numminummi

New Member
Oct 12, 2010
75
0
0
Originally Posted by RapDaddyo .


Pretty similar numbers to mine when I'm fit, although I can only do about 1200W for 5sec. Looks as though you might want to build your aerobic power, because your anaerobic power should be adequate for most events. A great time to build aerobic power is the off-season -- i.e., now.
I know - Aerobic power will also be my primary focus untill the very start of the season with lots of hrs, tempo and threshold. this week ec:

mon off
tue 3hrs 4x10 min threshold
wed 3hrs L2 3x6 standing starts
tue 3hrs 3x20 min tempo
fri off
sat 4hrs club ride
sun 4hrs club ride :)
 

ranger11a

New Member
Oct 4, 2011
21
0
0
Update 3 months out from my first goal event

5 sec: 1096 watts
1 min: 512 watts
5 min: 340 watts
20 min: 304 watts
60 min: 250 watts
 

Bigpikle

New Member
Aug 5, 2010
340
1
18
I'll add a snapshot as well, as I'm proud of it despite much lower numbers than many here.... I dont race so have never tested or deliberately tried to train anything below 20 mins, so will show what I have:

Jan 2011 (start of 2nd year regular riding & 1st PowerTap test sessions)

5 min 234w
20 min 201w
60 min 193w

Jan 2012

5 min 316w
20 min 260w
60 min 237w

My goal is 20 min power of 300w by the end of 2012, which will be a big challenge but one I'm looking forward to achieving!