Your bikes and modifications

DSK

New Member
Oct 24, 2003
I just thought that it would be interesting to see how many members have bought bikes and made modifications (bike specific) for one reason or another.

I'll kick off.

Bike: Claud Butler Milano.
Modifications: lights, specialized rib cage pro bottle cage, cycle computer, underseat bag.
Pending Modifications: saddle, pedals

DSK vaguely muttered something like ...
> I just thought that it would be interesting to see how many members have
> bought bikes and made modifications (bike specific) for one reason or
> another.
>
> I'll kick off.
>
> Bike: Claud Butler Milano.
> Modifications: lights, specialized rib cage pro bottle cage, cycle
> computer, underseat bag.
> Pending Modifications: saddle, pedals

LOL .. Dyna Tech (Raleigh) Cro-Mo Comp Mountain Bike .. Only the frame and
seat post are now original .. ;)

Every bike I own has been 'modified' if all you mean is buy different to
standard bits or add extra bits on ..

I once modified a 20" wheel Raleigh Shopper from it's original 3 speed hub
gearing to a derailleur 5 gear system .. and many, many others over the
years .. ;)

--
Paul ...

(8(|) Homer Rules !!!

"A ****** is a ******, no matter what mode of transport they're using."

Bike: '85 Raleigh Royal
Modifications: Everything (except frame & forks)

Bike: '99 Dawes Giro 500
Modifications: Everything (including the frame)

Game Over, I win, send prize to........ :)

~PB

DSK wrote:
> I just thought that it would be interesting to see how many members have
> bought bikes and made modifications (bike specific) for one reason or
> another.
>
> I'll kick off.
>
> Bike: Claud Butler Milano.
> Modifications: lights, specialized rib cage pro bottle cage, cycle
> computer, underseat bag.
> Pending Modifications: saddle, pedals

Bike: Dawes Audax (531C, since there's now alu out there)
Mods: lights, computer, rack, pedals (once), toecups, bottle cage,
airzound, underseat bag, saddle, stem ( to shorten reach - twice), bars
(narrower), topeak spacegrip.
Pending mods: a better engine with which to shift all the above up hills
;-) & pedals (to clipless)

--

Velvet

Velvet wrote:

> DSK wrote:
>
>> I just thought that it would be interesting to see how many members have
>> bought bikes and made modifications (bike specific) for one reason or
>> another.
>> I'll kick off.
>>
>> Bike: Claud Butler Milano.
>> Modifications: lights, specialized rib cage pro bottle cage, cycle
>> computer, underseat bag. Pending Modifications: saddle, pedals
>>

> Bike: Dawes Audax (531C, since there's now alu out there)
> Mods: lights, computer, rack, pedals (once), toecups, bottle cage,
> airzound, underseat bag, saddle, stem ( to shorten reach - twice), bars
> (narrower), topeak spacegrip.
> Pending mods: a better engine with which to shift all the above up hills
> ;-) & pedals (to clipless)

Oh, and the other thread's just reminded me... a big heavy lock ;-)

The day I decide to go in for a race, and strip everything (including
mudguards) off, it's going to feel like it weighs less than a feather,
and allow me to beat the rest of them hands down (well, in my dreams,
maybe!)

--

Velvet

in message <[email protected]>, DSK
('[email protected]') wrote:

> I just thought that it would be interesting to see how many members
> have bought bikes and made modifications (bike specific) for one
> reason or another.
>
> I'll kick off.
>
> Bike: Claud Butler Milano.
> Modifications: lights, specialized rib cage pro bottle cage, cycle
> computer, underseat bag.
> Pending Modifications: saddle, pedals

None of my bikes is unmodified. Most are pretty heavily modified. The
least modified is probably my old Raleigh Record Sprint, which now
sports the bizarre mix of Campag Centaur brakes (new) with Weinmann
levers (original), a Campag Record front deraileur (new), a Sachs Huret
2000 rear deraileur (original), and, currently, an extremely ancient
ladies saddle off a Raleigh Royale because the Brooks Professional that
used to be on it is now on my Dolan.

The theory was I was gradually bringing the Record up to good new
current generation parts and then when I'd swapped everything else I
would have a new frame made... but then the Dolan came up and that plan
went out of the window.

-- mens vacua in medio vacuo --

"DSK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...

> I just thought that it would be interesting to see how many members have
> bought bikes and made modifications (bike specific) for one reason or
> another.
>
> I'll kick off.
>
> Bike: Claud Butler Milano.
> Modifications: lights, specialized rib cage pro bottle cage, cycle
> computer, underseat bag.
> Pending Modifications: saddle, pedals

Bike : Kona Muni-Mula
Modifications : Rider now lighter, stronger and up for a 'race' anytime.
Pending Mods : Rider even lighter, rider stops having a beer to celebrate
finishing a ride, rider stops smoking, replace anything that breaks on the
bike with something more suitable (or buy a new bike).

"Paul - ***" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I once modified a 20" wheel Raleigh Shopper from it's original 3 speed hub
> gearing to a derailleur 5 gear system .. and many, many others over the
> years .. ;)

Check this out, an 18 speed Raleigh 20: http://home.comcast.net/~cheg01/r20.html

These are more recent, a lighter weight 6 speed incarnation:

http://home.comcast.net/~cheg01/20_light_1.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~cheg01/20_light_2.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~cheg01/20_light_3.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~cheg01/20_light_4.jpg

"DSK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...

> I just thought that it would be interesting to see how many members have
> bought bikes and made modifications (bike specific) for one reason or
> another.

My Galaxy.

The frame is original. I think the bars and prop stand are. The rest is
not. (Bought in about 1982)

Well Gino, my Bianchi San Remo, has had new bar tape, my name put on it (thank
you Mr Whelan for excellent decals), Minoura space bar, with fittings for two
front lights. Altura bar-bag mount, computer. Then there's mudguards, rear
rack, rear lights, new saddle - thing fixed to saddle which allows me to have a
traditional saddlebag, new pedals, two bottle cages... err... there's bound to
be somethign I've forgotten I'm sure. Oh - Gino is due for a respray this
winter. Oh yes - I have a big plastic, lockable box on Gino most of the time
(on rear rack)

When I use Luigi, who has not had any modifications apart from a new saddle and
pedals, and who doesn't have all the kit & kaboodle on him that Gino has, it's
a totally different riding experience

Cheers, helen s

h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

DSK <[email protected]> writes:

> I just thought that it would be interesting to see how many members have
> bought bikes and made modifications (bike specific) for one reason or
> another.
>
> I'll kick off.
>
> Bike: Claud Butler Milano.
> Modifications: lights, specialized rib cage pro bottle cage, cycle
> computer, underseat bag.
> Pending Modifications: saddle, pedals

I have several bikes. The most heavily modified is my commuting bike.

Originally this was a Marin Sausalito (dating from when these where
steel framed bikes).

I had a new front wheel built with a Schmidt SON dynamo. I have some
B&M lamps to go with the dynamo. I had a new rear wheel built with a
rohloff speedhub. So I no longer have the original mechs or
shifters. The brake levers have been replaces, although the original
brakes are still there. The BB has been replaced several times, as
have the sprockets and chain, of course. I still have the original
triple chainrings, although since the Speedhub I only use the outer
one - I could replace with a single one I guess. The bike has a
crossbar child carrying seat which I still use to take my daughter to
school (although soon she'll be a bit big for that. The bike has extra
handlebar grips in the middle of the bar for her to hold onto. I have
some nice Ritchey spd-alike pedals. Obviously I've been through many
tyres, at the moment the bike has Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres front
and back. The rear rack that I bought when I first bought the bike is
still there.

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 07:46:56 +1000, DSK
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I just thought that it would be interesting to see how many members have
>bought bikes and made modifications (bike specific) for one reason or
>another.
>
>I'll kick off.
>
>Bike: Claud Butler Milano.
>Modifications: lights, specialized rib cage pro bottle cage, cycle
>computer, underseat bag.
>Pending Modifications: saddle, pedals

Amoungst others, we have a 1941 Hobbs Of Barbican ' Blue Ribband'
track tandem, which we coverted in the early 80's into a fast touring
tandem, so EVERYTHING was replaced, (frame done by Arthur Needham from
Argos Cycles) apart from the fact that we were unable (then) to get a
front changer to fit the well oversized stokers downtube
......................... so the missus (the stoker) changes rings by
using a high precision engineered tool (a bent bit of coat hanger) to
lift from one to t'other .............. so efficient we still use it
today :)

> Well Gino, my Bianchi San Remo, has had new bar tape, my name put on it (thank
> you Mr Whelan for excellent decals),

Blimey, that's quite an achievement! Presumably the name decal runs up
the front forks, along the top tube, and back down to the rear axle? ;-)

*scampers off double quick*

--

Velvet

Pete Biggs <pblackcherry{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

: Game Over, I win, send prize to........ :)

Sorry, it's actually a draw mate.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
- Paulina Borsook

>Blimey, that's quite an achievement! Presumably the name decal runs up
>the front forks, along the top tube, and back down to the rear axle? ;-)
>
>*scampers off double quick*

Watch it Ms Velvet ;-)

Pete did me a nice decal of a one-eyed black cat (as the real Waffles is) and
with "Wafflycat" along it. It is on the top tube of the bike. I like it :)

See

http://uk.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wafflycat/detail?.dir=/c59d&.dnm=1789.jpg

For a pic of the real Waffles :)

Cheers, helen s

h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

[email protected]omcom (dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Well Gino, my Bianchi San Remo, has had new bar tape, my name put on it (thank
> you Mr Whelan for excellent decals)

Is Pete still doing custom adhesive vinyls? If so, may have to ask him
to run off some more transfers with my name (for added pose-value) on
when I get a new 'cross frame....

David E. Belcher

>Is Pete still doing custom adhesive vinyls? If so, may have to ask him
>to run off some more transfers with my name (for added pose-value) on
>when I get a new 'cross frame....
>
>David E. Belcher

He is, as far as I know, and I highly recommend his products :)

Cheers, helen s

h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

DSK <[email protected]> wrote in
news:D[email protected]:

> I just thought that it would be interesting to see how many members have
> bought bikes and made modifications (bike specific) for one reason or
> another.
>
> I'll kick off.
>
> Bike: Claud Butler Milano.
> Modifications: lights, specialized rib cage pro bottle cage, cycle
> computer, underseat bag.
> Pending Modifications: saddle, pedals

Bike Claud Butler Cape Wrath

Modifications Rear Bor Yueh rack with my patented rack extend-o-matic
extender, and bar ends from my old bike (on the handlebars, not on the
rack!)

Cycle computer + Garmin Geko 201

Pending modifications semislickishnotquiteasknobbly tyres.

--
Brian

DSK wrote:
> I just thought that it would be interesting to see how many members
> have bought bikes and made modifications (bike specific) for one
> reason or another.

My bike's a bit like Trigger's sweeping broom - still the original broom,
but it's had three new shafts and five new heads ;-)

--
Brian G

To reply, replace junk with brian

In article <[email protected]>, Pete Biggs wrote:
>Bike: '85 Raleigh Royal
>Modifications: Everything (except frame & forks)
>
>Bike: '99 Dawes Giro 500
>Modifications: Everything (including the frame)
>
>Game Over, I win, send prize to........ :)

I reckon Jon's "built the frame from scratch, then redesigned it
when it broke" recumbent has to be a contender here.