Your Embarrassing Cycling Moments

RalleighOke

Jan 29, 2003
I would like to hear what your most embarrassing cycling moment was. Mine happened about two weeks ago, I was on a training ride for about 50 km's. One of the straps on my bag underneath my saddle was sticking out and unknowingly my leg was rubbing against this strap the whole time.

Now I pressume you know what can happen if cycle pants and velcro keeps on rubbing against each other. Jip!! a nice hole in my pants. I only noticed it the following day when I noticed a sore on my leg and then saw the nice hole in my pants.

I must have ridden like that for quite a while. OH WAIT.... have fallen over as well because I could not get my cleat out...(damn amateur) :D :D

So, anything embarrassing happened to you? :p

Started cycling in 1990, but gave it up at 'varsity about 2 years later. Got married, got comfortable, etc, etc. Then I decided that it was time to start again. I went out and bought myself a racing bike but, being on a limited budget, I could not buy clipless pedals. So, off I went on "ye ole' clips".

The wife and I went cycling and a T junction I realised that there were cars coming from BOTH directions. No problem, or so I thought. I forgot about the d#$n straps around my shoes. Now picture this. A slow falling motion towards the left, onto a nice patch of green grass, and my bike not touching the ground/tar. I still hear about this from my wife. DAILY! :p

Tried to fart when 30k from home but unfortunately followed through...

Hello all

Well My Story goes Like this I dont know If I can Call it Embarrasing or stupid lol, well in 2000 I was representing my Borough at the Heathrow Youth Games which are the Biggest Youth Sports In events in Europe I was Doing The triathlon, well In the Swimming Pool I was Over Laped by 5 Laps That is very Embarrasing but I am not That much of a swimmer well I said o.k I knew I am a good Cyclist and a great Runner so off I go on my Bike well there was a Very very Tight Corner that is very hard to turn in you dont slow down and Put your Foot on the Gound to stwist your bike well on my second Lap I said to my self Hell I think I will try to Do this slow but with out put my leg on the ground, but guess what I bloody get a Rider Behind me who who was going fast and Bloody Knoked Me of My bike and Off I fly Infront of all the Team Managers and Spectatores well All he said Is sorry. Well the great thing off it all was I actually Beat Lots of the people that Over Laped me in the swimming Pool I gained on them by Cycling and Running and It gave me personal Satisfaction It was My first Ever and Last Triaphlon with no training well expet for Running which was My mian sport But I managed 139th out of 180 People which Is o.k I think Since I did get overlaped in the swimming pool well That is my Embarrasing sports as well as Cycling Moment. Well Hope to hear from you all soon.

Kind regards
A H Khadra

in my days with toe clips. stopped at a traffic light, started balancing and realised the light was taking to long. Leaned left to loosen the strap and fell over on the right. Straight in front of a car. Also without the bike touching the ground. My cycling buddy still comments about the graceful dismount onto a padded thigh.

Originally posted by Blimp

:D :D Nice! I enjoyed that one, Blimp! Maybe you should change your name to Crustybutt! :D :D

Originally posted by Blimp

Now that is FUNNY. And unfortunate.

I tried to shoot a snot rocket a few weeks ago, while riding with a few very strong women cyclists, and the damn thing smeared all over the side of my face! Very classy. You can't imagine how fast I moved to the back of the bunch to get cleaned up.

I suppose most people have pulled of the "foot still in the clips falling over stunt".

I did it coming back from my first cycle with clipless pedals.

Leon

Mines was not embarrasing for me but funny for me and the people in the team car.

It was a race in Valencia Spain and I went back to the cars to my team car to drop off a water bottle. When I got there I was tired and knew I could not spend too much time back there and just slammed my hand and bottle against a closed window.

Lesson? Do not clean windows so your riders can see they are closed ;)

Either way they laughed pretty good and I did later after the event.

Arrived at a traffic light in Kingston-on-Thames, couldn't get my foot out, and fell over slowly onto my elbow in front of a crowd of pedestrians. Pride recovered round next corner, elbow took months to come right.

Hey Ant

Mate is that Kingston- on-Thames here in London Surrey or another one, I was Wondering if you live down in Kingston That is Not that far from Ealing Broadway thats where I am and I mean I was wondering if you would Like to meet up for a Few Long rides as It gets Borring If I do it on my own and I could do with the Company well I hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards
A H Khadra

first group ride w/ my new cycling shoes...horrible and embarrassing!!
stopped w/ my left foot and leaned to my right without uncliping my right, I wanted to leave the bike and the shoes in the middle of the road and just run away from it. There was about 20 other people riding in the group, on of the girls in the back said "told you! you need to fall a few times before u learn to use those shoes" ...ok, well great how many more time do I need to fall????

LOL! Thanks for dredging up this relic of a thread!

I got the usual falling over story too - twice in one day mind you, once at a busy intersection. But my most embarassing moment was when I went out with my current club on my first group ride with them several years back.

Of course, coming up to an intersection whose traffic light was in the midst of changing to red, I was THAT GUY who thought the group was going to roll through. DOH! Right into the back of one guy causing him to fall over into another who also fell over. No damage to property or surface-wise to persons, but to say my ego was bruised would be putting it mildly.

And of course again on our group rides, 'til this day, someone will remind me of the first impression I made on the club:D. It's all good though...

Yep, this definitely gets my vote for Golden Moldy Thread of the Month!

7 years old..... :D

Three years ago when I decided to cut down from my 15.5 stone in weight I started to commute to work. Unfortunatly I only lived 100 yards from my old work place. I started cycling along a cycle path that is close to my house, down to the water front and back to my work every morning which was a nice 8 mile ride. When winter came, I did not have any proper winter clothes for cycling and continued in my summer shorts and long sleeved top. The first real frosty morning I was half way along the water front and the cold was really nipping at my man hood. I honestly thought it was going to freeze, so I did what any man would do and stuck my left hand down my shorts trying to manipulate my manhood back to unfrostbiteable territory. This was all good until I passed an elderly couple walking their dog, who looked up, smiled - then did a double take and shook their heads iin disgust. I suppose it must of looked really bad, but boy did my todger need it.

I had been riding my mountain bike with my step dad, who was on his road bike, for quite a while when I finally threw down my savings and tax return for a road bike. I was 19 and my new found speed was thrilling. On the MTB I could keep up with my dad but lost him in a sprint. My first ride on my new Lemond Tourmalet bike I was dropping him on hills, but he was drafting me on the flats and I couldn't get rid of him. Finally on this curvy stretch of bike path near Folsom Lake I hammered on the pedals as fast as I could and dropped him. I took a right hand curve, on the right side just as I should, and ran into a bike club of 20+ guys taking up both 'lanes' I was like a bowling ball slamming in to the pins.

quenya said:
I had been riding my mountain bike with my step dad, who was on his road bike, for quite a while when I finally threw down my savings and tax return for a road bike. I was 19 and my new found speed was thrilling. On the MTB I could keep up with my dad but lost him in a sprint. My first ride on my new Lemond Tourmalet bike I was dropping him on hills, but he was drafting me on the flats and I couldn't get rid of him. Finally on this curvy stretch of bike path near Folsom Lake I hammered on the pedals as fast as I could and dropped him. I took a right hand curve, on the right side just as I should, and ran into a bike club of 20+ guys taking up both 'lanes' I was like a bowling ball slamming in to the pins.

Okay: that's not embarrassing, and if it is, it should be for the bike club into which you ran.

spat a huge load of spit thought nothing more of it stopped at cafe sat down spoke to locals got home look in mirror huge green grem hanging off my left ear,
got on bike cycled up street see camper van panic cant unclip feet fall over enitre family point and laughs at me while i just lay on the floor like............sigh