Your experience with Dura Ace Triples

Bruce L

Dec 31, 2003
What has been your experience with the Dura Ace triple? I heard they can be finicky.

Bruce, I have worked on them lots and I have not found any problems with them. They go together real easy and I have not seen problems from them. A way that I know is that I have built about 20 bikes with them in the later part of 03 and no one seems to come back with problems and I see some of these folks all the time. Hope this helps.

Originally posted by Bruce L
What has been your experience with the Dura Ace triple? I heard they can be finicky.

I've had a Trek 2200 for a couple years now with a Ultegra Triple and have not a had any problems with it.

Originally posted by Bruce L
It's all in the setup. Some folks just don't have a clue. Campy triples are easier,because of the difference in front shifting machanism.

Just got a new frame built with DA 9 sp triple. Running the DA 7700 long cage RD on 12-25, with an FSA triple, 52/39/30, and a SRAM PC-99. This is my first triple and first STI bike as well.

Shifting the cogs is very quick with just a tap,whether up or down. Upshifting the chainring takes a longer throw and a little hold time to complete, but still a clean shift. Was concerned about the need to "trim" the FD, but that's easy too, and not needed often. In short, works great, better than expected.

I would say that Shimano and Campy are just as easy it is just a little different.