Your experience with Pantour suspension hubs.

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Kelly, Feb 13, 2003.

  1. Kelly

    Kelly Guest

    Does anyone have any long term experience with the Pantour hubs?

    Are you using both the front and rear hubs? What about power loss? Brake issues? Are they a good
    value? Do you like them?

    Thinking about ordering the Thracian rim set from Velocity and having Pantour lace in their hubs.
    Lot of bucks so I don't want to make a mistake. Would be using them on a V-Rex.

    Kelly

    Tags:

  2. We have a 16 inch wheel on the front of a BikeE2 on a Pantour hub.

    The bike feels smoother, not plush. No other issues. It is worth the price.
    --
    Bill "Pop Pop" Patterson Retired and riding my Linear, my front drive low racer and our M5 tandem.

  3. Devon

    Devon Guest

    I have about 4500 miles on Pantour hub (front only) on a Vision 54. They give a wonderful
    combination of softer, more secure ride, without the weight and aero penalty of suspension forks.

    No brake issues.

    Are they a good value? Value is relative, I guess ... some say any suspension is a waste of $$. For
    me, suspension is a necessity and Pantours are the best deal for me personally.

    My next bike will have Pantours on both ends .. considering Saber/Strada/Vision 44/45.

    Perhaps the best part of the Pantour experience is the character of the people at Pantour I have
    dealt with. Wonderful to work with as they went out of their way to satisfy.

    DeVon

    [email protected] (Kelly) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Does anyone have any long term experience with the Pantour hubs?
    >
    > Are you using both the front and rear hubs? What about power loss? Brake issues? Are they a good
    > value? Do you like them?
    >
    > Thinking about ordering the Thracian rim set from Velocity and having Pantour lace in their hubs.
    > Lot of bucks so I don't want to make a mistake. Would be using them on a V-Rex.
    >
    > Kelly

  4. Dave Kee

    Dave Kee Guest

    I have Pantour hubs on both ends of my dual 26 Wishbone and I consider them a great addition to a
    great bike. The front hub was trouble free from the start, but the rear (an early version) had to
    undergo a factory rebuild because the cog side end cap would not stay in place resulting in the
    cog (but thankfully not the wheel) freezing up. This problem has been solved by a redesign of the
    end cap that literally welds it in place. If I do end up buying the Catrike Speed I am lusting
    after, I would have no hesitation in adding a rear hub to it. As has been mentioned before, the
    people at Pantour are great to do business with and will work with you to resolve any issues that
    might come up.

  5. Dave Kee

    Dave Kee Guest

    I have Pantour hubs on both ends of my dual 26 Wishbone and I consider them a great addition to a
    great bike. The front hub was trouble free from the start, but the rear (an early version) had to
    undergo a factory rebuild because the cog side end cap would not stay in place resulting in the
    cog (but thankfully not the wheel) freezing up. This problem has been solved by a redesign of the
    end cap that literally welds it in place. If I do end up buying the Catrike Speed I am lusting
    after, I would have no hesitation in adding a rear hub to it. As has been mentioned before, the
    people at Pantour are great to do business with and will work with you to resolve any issues that
    might come up.

  6. I agree with all of DeVon's observations on the Pantour. Mine is on the front of my TiRush. I find
    that the Pantour smoothes the ride over minor irregularities and improves control and directional
    stability. Caveat: it is NOT the same as a major shock fork. Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush

    "DeVon" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have about 4500 miles on Pantour hub (front only) on a Vision 54. They give a wonderful
    > combination of softer, more secure ride, without the weight and aero penalty of suspension forks.
    >
    > No brake issues.
    >
    > Are they a good value? Value is relative, I guess ... some say any suspension is a waste of $$.
    > For me, suspension is a necessity and Pantours are the best deal for me personally.
    >
    > My next bike will have Pantours on both ends .. considering Saber/Strada/Vision 44/45.
    >
    > Perhaps the best part of the Pantour experience is the character of the people at Pantour I have
    > dealt with. Wonderful to work with as they went out of their way to satisfy.
    >
    > DeVon
    >
    > [email protected] (Kelly) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Does anyone have any long term experience with the Pantour hubs?
    > >
    > > Are you using both the front and rear hubs? What about power loss? Brake issues? Are they a good
    > > value? Do you like them?
    > >
    > > Thinking about ordering the Thracian rim set from Velocity and having Pantour lace in their
    > > hubs. Lot of bucks so I don't want to make a mistake. Would be using them on a V-Rex.
    > >
    > > Kelly

  7. Mark Milam

    Mark Milam Guest

    I have a Ti Aero with 650cc front wheel with the pantour on the Sparticus rim. I like it very much
    and it does smooth out the road. Not mushy. Great for rough roads, but I don't have the rear hub. I
    don't know if they have worked out the details on the rear yet. The brake adjustment is no problem.
    I don't think you need them on a LWB, but on a SWB, they are worth it. Mark Milam Lafayette, La Ti
    Aero, GRR, Screamer

  8. Alpha Beta

    Alpha Beta Guest

    As dicussed somewhere before, Pantours might not work on the rear of trike because the side force
    sare great and may bind the suspension hub.

    On a bike the turning force is more easily translated to the veritcal plane of the bike so the force
    is down on both sides of the axle , but on a trike that turning force remainds mostly a a lateral
    force torquing around the axle.

    The pantours might work fine if it has been designed to handle these side forces. You will have to
    check with Pantour.

    "Dave Kee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have Pantour hubs on both ends of my dual 26 Wishbone and I consider them a great addition to a
    > great bike. The front hub was trouble free from the start, but the rear (an early version) had to
    > undergo a factory rebuild because the cog side end cap would not stay in place resulting in the
    > cog (but thankfully not the wheel) freezing up. This problem has been solved by a redesign of the
    > end cap that literally welds it in place. If I do end up buying the Catrike Speed I am lusting
    > after, I would have no hesitation in adding a rear hub to it. As has been mentioned before, the
    > people at Pantour are great to do business with and will work with you to resolve any issues that
    > might come up.

  9. Tom Dove

    Tom Dove Guest

    If the Catrike Speed rides anywhere near as smoothly as my Catrike Road, you won't need any
    additional suspension.

    -- Tom D

    In article <%[email protected]>,
    "Alpha Beta" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > As dicussed somewhere before, Pantours might not work on the rear of trike because the side force
    > sare great and may bind the suspension hub.
    >
    > On a bike the turning force is more easily translated to the veritcal plane of the bike so the
    > force is down on both sides of the axle , but on a trike that turning force remainds mostly a a
    > lateral force torquing around the axle.
    >
    > The pantours might work fine if it has been designed to handle these side forces. You will have to
    > check with Pantour.
    >
    > "Dave Kee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    If I do end up buying the Catrike Speed I am
    > > lusting after, I would have no hesitation in adding a rear hub to it. As has been mentioned
    > > before, the people at Pantour are great to do business with and will work with you to resolve
    > > any issues that might come up.

    --
    -- TD Red Ryder, 2001 RANS Rocket Miss Kitty, 2002 Catrike Road

  10. Dakker

    Dakker Guest

    I thinking of purchasing Pantour hubs and getting some new rims. What made you choose Velocity?

    Daker "Kelly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone have any long term experience with the Pantour hubs?
    >
    > Are you using both the front and rear hubs? What about power loss? Brake issues? Are they a good
    > value? Do you like them?
    >
    > Thinking about ordering the Thracian rim set from Velocity and having Pantour lace in their hubs.
    > Lot of bucks so I don't want to make a mistake. Would be using them on a V-Rex.
    >
    > Kelly

  11. Dave Kee

    Dave Kee Guest

    Tom Dove wrote: If the Catrike Speed rides anywhere near as smoothly as my Catrike Road, you won't
    need any additional suspension.

    Tom: That's good to hear. My concern with the Speed is that the aluminum frame with the integrated
    and highly reclined seat might ride a lot harsher than my Terratrike with its steel frame and
    separate seat. The Rapid Transit bike shop in Chicago is supposed to get one in soon, and I hope to
    be able to take it for a test ride on the bumpy streets of Wicker Park.

  12. Larry Varney

    Larry Varney Guest

    Dave Kee wrote:
    > Tom Dove wrote: If the Catrike Speed rides anywhere near as smoothly as my Catrike Road, you won't
    > need any additional suspension.
    >
    > Tom: That's good to hear. My concern with the Speed is that the aluminum frame with the integrated
    > and highly reclined seat might ride a lot harsher than my Terratrike with its steel frame and
    > separate seat. The Rapid Transit bike shop in Chicago is supposed to get one in soon, and I hope
    > to be able to take it for a test ride on the bumpy streets of Wicker Park.

    When I got a chance to ride a Speed back in November, I gave it a pretty good thrashing in a
    shopping center parking lot. There were imperfections in the paving, as well as a speed bump.
    And while I did slow down for that bump, that's about all. Before I can say for certain, I'd
    like to hop back and forth between a TT and a Speed, to see how each handles the same section of
    road. But from my limited experience so far, I have to say that the Speed was not harsh at all.
    I rode a round tube Wishbone for a while, and *that* was a harsh-riding bike. Extremely fast -
    the fastest unfaired bike I've ever ridden - but on a rough road my contacts would vibrate! I
    did find that if I raised the seat back a bit, it was less harsh. But as for the Speed: check it
    out. I don't think it's unduly harsh-riding at all.

    --
    Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

  13. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Larry Varney wrote:

    > ... I rode a round tube Wishbone for a while, and *that* was a harsh-riding bike. Extremely fast -
    > the fastest unfaired bike I've ever ridden - but on a rough road my contacts would vibrate! I did
    > find that if I raised the seat back a bit, it was less harsh. But as for the Speed: check it out.
    > I don't think it's unduly harsh-riding at all.

    Larry,

    You should try a Wishbone RT with an ISO 406-mm rear wheel - I had blurry vision on several rough
    downhills, and I do not wear contacts. This is a bike that needs a Pantour rear hub, though the
    bike's current owner may disagree. (Hi Dave)

    You will hate me for saying this, but the Dragonflyer's rear suspension handles bumps with ease that
    almost bounce me off the Sunset [1]. ;)

    [1] I use the Sunset as a point of comparison, since both have ISO 406-mm rear wheels, are fairly
    similar in seating position, and use the same seat.

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) Various HPV's