Your fastest top speed

I_ride_my_bike

Jan 4, 2006
Just curious for those who use speedometers on their bikes, what was the highest topspeed you were able to clock. I was able to achieve 85km/h down a slight grade, and very strong winds pushing me forward. If only the road continued going straight, I'm sure I would have gone a little faster. I was on a mountain bike and the road surface relatively smooth, and overall the bike felt very stable.

81.3 kph or 50.5 mph down an Ozark mountain with a tailwind. :D A little scary though.

Just to be a stick in the mud... I seem to be missing why you needed to start this thread when there is an active thread called "Top Speed ?" that is covering the same topic.

I am not against it, since after all there ALWAYS seems to be at least one active thread in at least one sub-forum about top speed at any given time. Someone has to make sure the tradition stays alive... perhaps it should be a sticky.

:D

But to give my top speed... I can't really, my top speeds were accomplished before I got a spedometer back in the dark ages. (70's)

I tend to get nervous any time I get over 35 mph now... so I will probably never accomplish the speeds I used to.

:eek: Nice thread - for me 44mph from Reigate hill in Surrey on road bike and 35mph down the South Downs on my MTB ......

Sorry to repeat a thread, I did not realize someone already posted a similiar question. But yesterday I acheived 60 km/h down a steep muddy dirt trail, then I ran over a tree root which caused me to fly of my bike and land on a pile of twigs and branches which probably saved me from injury. My bike was surprisingly undammaged, just a small tear on my seat. No more reckless speeding down dirt trails for me!

82 km/h on a short downhill - maybe 60 m vert descent.

I was packing death at that speed and backed off a bit before the bottom section.

Wow thats crazy fast. I hope to one day reach the 100 km/h mark. What kind of bike did you use? Was the bike stable?

I_ride_my_bike said:
Wow thats crazy fast. I hope to one day reach the 100 km/h mark. What kind of bike did you use? Was the bike stable?
No more reckless speeding down dirt trails for you, but apparently reckless speeding on asphalt is not a problem. :D

I remember those feelings of excitement! My guess is that you are at least 25 years younger than me... I remember my feelings in those days... the idea of doing those things now scares me, but I do remember. :eek: At my age, I hope that I never have to deal with a case of road rash again whether I ever hit even 60 km/h or not is secondary...

I do like living the excitement by proxy though... but as an older man, let me just say the old person thing... "Be careful!" :rolleyes:

I_ride_my_bike said:

I did it 20 yr ago, when I was ALOT faster. :)

59 mph going down Kaloko Drive in Kona, this was an experience for sure. Kill yourself getting to the top or kill yourself going down!!!:):):)

Yesterday for fun I achieved my fastest speed ever without even moving an inch. All I did was turn on my bench grinder, then gently placed the front wheel of my bike on to the rotating disc and I was able to get the wheel spinning to 158 km/h. My speedometer records my top speed so now I can show off to the ladies and show them how fast I can ride my bike lol

Fastest top speed is nothing more then something to brag about to someone that knows nothing about cycling. Hows that?

I hit 42mph going downhill in Manayunk, PA. That was with no pedaling at all, so there was deffinately room for more speed. My fastest speeds without hills or wind or anything helping me are around 34-35mph

Hard out of Coppice, hitting 160mph and still pulling under the Dunlop bridge, count to three before braking hard for Goddards, back wheel skipping off of the asphalt as the power of the front brakes loads the front end up . . . Happy days at Donnington on my Ducati 996S, feeling safe and secure because of the wide run off areas and no cars/taxi's/buses to negotiate, dressed in a Dainese back protector, GP class helmet, carbon/kevlar reinforced GP boots and triple stitched 3mm cow hide one-piece suit . . . any more leather and i'd moo ! ! !
Clad in nothing more than skimpy lycra shorts/top and an overly expensive helmet (which looks like a childs toy next to the motorbike one) and I tend to lose my nerve and reach for the brakes between 45mph/50mph on the backside of Ditchling Beacon on the run down into Brighton.
Wimp or wise? . . . as has already been stated on this thread, the moment at which one reaches for the anchor seems to occur earlier with each passing year. :)

The max I've ever hit was something like forty-five to fity miles per hour. I was going down a steep hill, (not sure the wind conditions). It was fun, but short the hill is only about 1/4 of a mile. oh well.:eek: Like I said, it was fun.

Nothing big, highest speed was 60mph down blue mountain up in PA. Very steep mountain so it was pretty easy to hit high speeds...just thankful for no blowouts!! ha ha:rolleyes:

mine was 43mph. I rode my hill route today, I know I can get 50 going down Nices Hollow Rd, but there were too many stones on the road. Snow 3 days ago. I only had nerve for 38. Amazing that I saw some post on flat speeds around 30, 35, or 40. wow, makes me feel like ****. I wonder how long they keep up that pace?

dbackmtg said:
mine was 43mph. I rode my hill route today, I know I can get 50 going down Nices Hollow Rd, but there were too many stones on the road. Snow 3 days ago. I only had nerve for 38. Amazing that I saw some post on flat speeds around 30, 35, or 40. wow, makes me feel like ****. I wonder how long they keep up that pace?
Speaking of flat speeds, I've been able to go about 30-35 in a draft behind another rider. We held it for a mile.

dbackmtg said:
No one stays above 38mph-ish in neutral conditions for more than a few seconds, unless they are a world class track sprinter.