Your favorite chamois cream

likes to ride

Jul 8, 2007
Just curious as to what is the best chamois cream you have found and use. Is there a brand that does not break down during longer rides of 4-5 hours?

likes to ride said:
So, no one uses chamois cream? :confused:
I'm actually curious to read what people have to say to your question, I don't use it. I want to see what's the deal with it?

MikeF:cool:

So far, Assos' cream works great. Body Glide (a stick, not a cream) is ok.

likes to ride said:
So, no one uses chamois cream? :confused:
Chamois Butt'r, which is like a heavy hand cream with some lanolin. Vaseline is too heavyweight for my liking, but it does hold up well on long rides.

Recently read a homemade recipe: a 13 oz tub of Vaseline, with 1 oz of antibotic ointment and 1 oz of hydrocortizone cream. Suppose this formula might be beneficial on multi-day events where healing and prevention of saddle sores is all-important.

I use Eucerin. You can find it at RiteAid type stores. It works great, lasts a long time and is way cheaper than Assos. I prefer it over Assos because it has no oder and lasts much longer. It doesnt have any stinging if you get it on your boys either.

Here is a pic. Only get the stuff in the tub.

http://i4.ebayimg.com/05/i/06/99/f2/8a_1_b.JPG

Mentholatum! Just gotta be careful to not get any on the "sack"....feels minty fresh all day, though! :D

Assos. No more little gritty sores on the inner leg - and I got them pretty quickly before i used it.

If you want the definitive Chamois cream image - the film "hollen tour" {Hell on wheels in english} where Eric Zabel's Soigneur puts about 1" of cream ALL OVER the pad in the morning - just totally butters it. Bit too intimate I say.... :eek:

Fast Orange Hand Cleaner with Pumice is what real men use. Just kidding, just wanted to make some of you cringe a little. I used Chamios Butt'r on my last trip. 250 miles over 4 days. Kinda fell in love with it on the third day and fourth days...

Used the Quoleum products for quite a while, but decided to try the SportsBalm stuff on ProBikeKit. Just as good, smells nicer and is alot cheaper

I've been using a cheap antibiotic ointment. Its thicker than vaseline so it seems to stay a little longer and if I get a saddle sore anyway than what better to get in the sore than an antibiotic :)

However, I am slowly replacing all my cheap shorts for better bib shorts.

dhk2 said:
Chamois Butt'r, which is like a heavy hand cream with some lanolin. Vaseline is too heavyweight for my liking, but it does hold up well on long rides.
dhk2 said:
Recently read a homemade recipe: a 13 oz tub of Vaseline, with 1 oz of antibotic ointment and 1 oz of hydrocortizone cream. Suppose this formula might be beneficial on multi-day events where healing and prevention of saddle sores is all-important.
Keith Bontrager's recipe, from the most recent issue of Outside magazine:
13 oz. jar Vaseline
1 oz. lanolin
1 oz. triple antibiotic
1 oz. hydrocortisone cream

Body glide: very 'clean' feel, washes out of the shorts easily. I'm probably not nearly as hard core as most of you though. Couldn't say if it lasts much longer than 50 miles on a hot day.

I don't use the stuff often but if I'm doing a multi-day or week long tour, I use Chamios Butt'r to prevent chafing. The stuff works really well! Plus it's available in little single use packets that prevent you from having to carry a big ol' bottle o' goo with you, which is nice.

I use Crotch Guard from this site: http://www.crotchguard.com/

I read a review online but I cannot find it to post a link. Works differently than the others. They have a free sample link on their site.

Give it a try.

Tim

I never used to use any of the stuff, but then for some reason I started getting a lot of rubbing, so I had to start using the creams.

I have used both Chamois Butt'r and Body Glide...both worked for me, except the Body Glide was expensive for the small little container you got...it also was used up too quickly for my liking.

I have found a gem in the chamois creme world. Dr. Naylors, "Udder Balm" is my favorite chamois creme. I have been using it since the beginning of the year and have found it to work wonders down there. It is a thick ointment that prevents saddle sores well in all weather conditions and rides. I wore it through winter training and in races such as Tour of Battenkill where the chamois area can take a pretty serious beating. It has antiseptic in it as well so it actively heals pre-existing chamois issues. I highly recommend it. And coming in around 10 bucks for months worth of cream it is hard to beat the bargin.

Topical Medications for Animal Health - Dr. Naylor - Home