Your Favorite Ftp Building Workout

MarkM13

Dec 18, 2009
Greetings,

I'm coming back to training after missing the entire first half of the season due to surgery on my left quad (not velo related). I've logged some base miles and actually made it a point not to use my power meter so I 1. wouldn't push too hard to keep watts where they were in my best competitive season 2. get discouraged they were so low.

I tested recently and came in at 218w. I know to be competitive during CX season (Masters 45+) I need to be in the upper 260s. While raising 50w is a tall order I do want to raise it as much as possible by the end of September. So, let's hear it what is your favorite workout for raising your FTP?

Thanks,
Mark

My favorite workout would probably be just normal cycling. I don't know what it is, but I don't like the experienced workouts too much, but that might just be because I'm a novice. What are you currently doing?

In CX it wouldn't be my FTP I'd be worried about - it'd be my L5/L6 and those pesky little hills....

But for raising FTP it all depends on how you respond to different types of training. Some guys progress faster on 20 minute intervals at approximately their FTP, others, like myself, do better with a ton of L3 with some L4 and 5 on short hills or a fun flat section of road.

MarkM13 said:
Greetings,

I'm coming back to training after missing the entire first half of the season due to surgery on my left quad (not velo related). I've logged some base miles and actually made it a point not to use my power meter so I 1. wouldn't push too hard to keep watts where they were in my best competitive season 2. get discouraged they were so low.

I tested recently and came in at 218w. I know to be competitive during CX season (Masters 45+) I need to be in the upper 260s. While raising 50w is a tall order I do want to raise it as much as possible by the end of September. So, let's hear it what is your favorite workout for raising your FTP?

Thanks,
Mark
What was your FTP last year?

If it was close to 260, I think using your heart rate as a target might be a better method. LT for as long as you can 2 or 3 times a day.

But for raising FTP it all depends on how you respond to different types of training. Some guys progress faster on 20 minute intervals at approximately their FTP, others, like myself, do better with a ton of L3 with some L4 and 5 on short hills or a fun flat section of road.

I agree with this. For me, I seem to respond best to training at around 90% FTP. Maybe 20 minute sweet spot intervals for example. Hard efforts day in and day out wipe me out. But I'm getting old :)

Hey there! I totally get what you mean. Training at around 90% FTP can really help build stamina and power without burning out. Sweet spot intervals are a great way to achieve that. It's important to find the right balance between pushing your limits and allowing for recovery. Age is just a number, my friend! Keep pushing and you'll keep getting stronger ‍♂️

I see you're making a comeback after a tough injury, and that's commendable. However, I'd like to offer a different perspective on your training approach. While structured training and power meters have their place in traditional cycling, gravel riding thrives on unpredictability and intuition.

Research has shown that excessive focus on power output can hinder the natural flow of a ride, especially in variable terrains like gravel. Instead, try to reconnect with your body and learn to listen to its cues. This will help you develop a stronger sense of pacing, which is crucial for managing your efforts over unpredictable routes.

As for your power output, consider that gravel races often emphasize endurance over sheer power. By building a strong aerobic base and focusing on efficient pedaling, you might find that you can achieve competitive results without necessarily hitting the upper 260s.

Ultimately, the beauty of cycling lies in its diversity. Whether you prefer structured training or the freedom of gravel riding, the most important thing is to enjoy the ride and keep pushing your boundaries. Good luck with your training! :)

Cycling not only boosts physical health but also benefits mental well-being. It's a practical, eco-friendly transport solution. Embrace the cycling community, ditch cars ➡️. Broader implications: less pollution, healthier lifestyles ‍♀️♂️!

Cycling: A holistic approach to health & environment. Indeed, it empowers mental well-being, reduces pollution. But let's consider cycling infrastructure, safety, cyclist-motorist relationships. Embracing cycling culture means advocating for these aspects, too. #CyclingCommunity #HealthyLifestyles