Your favourite meal/recipe?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by limerickman, Feb 23, 2006.

1. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I was just wondering what folks favourite dish, might be?
    What I mean is, if you had the choice of your favourite dish - what would that be?

I'll kick the topic off by saying that although I like dishes with steak, dishes with turkey and ham, dishes of roast beef, but my favourite meal would have to be Italian.

My preferred dish would be lasangne and/or tagliatelli.
    So the ideal meal would be - location : native Italian restaurant : appetisser : caesar salad : main course : lasange/tagliatelli with garlic bread and olive oil, washed down by a nice house white wine : dessert : gelatto (ice cream) followed by copious amounts of coffee.

What's yours?

Tags:

2. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

I think that just about sums it up for me. But with a cabernet instead of the house white.

3. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I wouldn't say no to a nice cabernet!

4. MountainPro

MountainPro New Member

my favourite meal is 3 pork sausages, fried and on a buttered morning roll with a covering of HP brown sauce and a mug of tea with 3 sugars and milk...

i am a man of simple pleasures.

i am also partial to mexican food.

5. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I could take it that you'd order something other than 3 pork sausages, fried and on a buttered morning roll with a covering of HP brown sauce, in a 5 star
    restaurant, Pro?

6. blackbird05

blackbird05 New Member

Mmmm, veeery difficult indeed...

Assuming we're steering away from comfort food and more toward something you can't have every day, I'd side with Limerick on the Italian theme. But in my case, a REAL italian bruschetta topped with either sun-dried tomatoes or pesto as an appetizer. Then some large fresh-caught shrimp, grilled with butter and herbs would be featured in the main course. A sweet southern red wine as an accompaniment (yep, not the norm - call me a rebel), and something deeply, darkly chocolate for desert accompanied by an espresso. About an hour after dinner and desert, the lemon gelato in a cone on a nighttime walk rounds things off nicely:)

But in all honesty, it might as well be a cheap burger if I don't have great company to share it with me.

7. Catabolic_Jones

Catabolic_Jones New Member

A nice pizza with lamb sausage, peppers, mushrooms, feta ... and a Shiraz.

Oh yeah!

8. Waitforme

Waitforme New Member

If I had to pick one food item that I would not like to do without above all others it would have to be home made fruit scones .

My fave meal though is Itallian - just love any kind of pasta dish.

What makes me laugh though is the portion size advised " measure 100g per person ... " I normally have around 250g :eek:

9. Chance3290

Chance3290 New Member

In the mid-80s I was working in Germany and stopped by a restaurant in the Giessen-Wetzlar area. It was an Italian restaurant, run by an Irish fellow who refused to speak english:confused: . Anyway, he served a plate of spagetti with a oil and garlic sauce that was so good I ate there every night for a week. He wouldn't give up the formula for the secret sauce.
    Every once in a while I'll try my hand at duplicating the sauce, so far, no luck.

10. poweredbysweat

poweredbysweat New Member

This sounds good to me! My favorite meal would definitely be Vegetarian, with some good herbs and spices. We have a restaurant in town that serves a great Tempeh Siciliano. I just ate, and thinking about it, makes me hungry!

11. EoinC

EoinC New Member

I thought that was Mexican food.
    My favourite is what is collectively called Nam Pik in the North of Thailand and Laos. The name refers to the dipping sauce (about the consistency of a chutney), which is made from roasted red chilli's, shallots, tomato, garlic, corriander and lime, all being bashed about with a mortar and pestle. Nam means "water" or "liquid" and Pik means "chilli".
    The food itself is all sorts (veges, fish, chicken etc) but it is the eating process that is the best. It is always eaten sitting on the floor, with all the dishes spread out and everyone forming a circle around them. It is eaten with sticky rice (glutenous rice), which is the staple of the North. You take about a 1" ball of sticky rice and knead it in your right hand. You then make an indent in it with the knuckle of your thumb. With the same hand, you pick up something from one of the dishes and use the rice to scoop some Nam Pik out of the mortar. The taste and texture sensation is remarkable.
    Every time I eat it, I always have far more than I should. There are usually about 10 dishes to keep bouncing between, so it's always tempting to have just one more. The dishes are usually pretty plain - it's the sauce that get's everything zinging. If it's lunchtime or later, there's often a bit of moonshine to aid the digestion, too.
    Sticky rice has a reputation for swelling in the stomach and has a tendency to make everyone feel sleepy afterwards. In the South, they generally look down on sticky rice and only eat it as a sweet (mixed with coconut or mango). In the North, they seldom eat ordinary rice and sticky rice is eaten for most meals.
    Whenever I get back down to Perth, a Nam Pik session is pretty high on the agenda.

12. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Ah, I miss Thailand and Thai food... :)

Having said that, obviously my favorite meal would be Italian... :p

Appetizer: Antipasto misto all'Italiana (mixed antipasto - vegetables, different types of salami, prosciutto, foccacia, etc).

First course: Spaghetti alla Gricia (Matriciana without tomato sauce, traditional Roman dish)

Second course: Saltimbocca alla Romana (veal, made in a white wine sauce with small pieces of prosciutto cooked on top)

Vegetable side dish: Broccoletti ripassati (Roman broccoli - smaller and more bitter than other types, made in a saucepan with butter and chili)

A good red wine, of course, preferably a Southern one... Nero d'Avola or a Primitivo. :D

Of course, a small, light and airy tiramisu' for desert.

Hhhhmmmm, this is a usual Sunday lunch for me. Then I wonder why I cannot climb with the best of 'em... :eek:

13. blackbird05

blackbird05 New Member

Your regular lunch! *sigh* Pete, you're the envy of all Italian food lovers out here...

14. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

LOL. It is hard living here... :D

15. ceedee

ceedee New Member

Has to be cheese on toast with fish fingers on top and then Heinz baked bean top hmmmmmmmm.:)

16. Future-pro

Future-pro New Member

Usually italian food but invented something today very tasty basically chicken and new potatoes with mayonaise and some dried basil mixed into the mayonaise

17. ::dom::

::dom:: New Member

I cook just about everyday and I cook just about everything.

But when all's said and n done my favourite thing to eat is egg and bacon.

You can't get much more simple for cooked food.

You add nothing, ok... maybe a little pepper.

My preference is for poached eggs and grilled - so the fat turns a little crispy but the meat remains moist - bacon... oh... of course, a nice cuppa tea.

18. cyberlegend1994

cyberlegend1994 Moderator

My faves - depends on time of day....

Breakfast - pancakes or waffles with bacon (crisp),

Lunch - seafood or pizza,

Dinner - stuffed shells with chicken parmesan - my two Italian faves - the combination of those two sometimes produces a natural aphrodisiac effect on me.... :D

19. MountainPro

MountainPro New Member

its so hard to cater for my sophisticated pallette when i go to gourmet restraunts...if they has rolls on sausage on teh menu i'll order it...other wise it has to be the pasta alfredo...

20. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

...no HP sauce ?