Your favourite meal/recipe?

limerickman said:
I was just wondering what folks favourite dish, might be?
What I mean is, if you had the choice of your favourite dish - what would that be?

I'll kick the topic off by saying that although I like dishes with steak, dishes with turkey and ham, dishes of roast beef, but my favourite meal would have to be Italian.

My preferred dish would be lasangne and/or tagliatelli.
So the ideal meal would be - location : native Italian restaurant : appetisser : caesar salad : main course : lasange/tagliatelli with garlic bread and olive oil, washed down by a nice house white wine : dessert : gelatto (ice cream) followed by copious amounts of coffee.

What's yours?
Abbondanza!

I love Italian food, so I will join you for dinner. The house wine this restaurant would serve would certainly be a Pinot Grigio. Very nice wine, with just a slight flavor or peach and pear but not sweet at all. I might add some regional cheeses (goat-sheep) and I might opt for a Sangiovese rather than the Pinot Grigio in the winter months. Santé !

One thing I might add........ My wife makes an absolutely wonderful (5 Stars) Beef Wellington. Guess what's for Christmas dinner ?

lw

Catabolic_Jones said:
Nothiing beats a man that can COOK.
My boyfriend is a class act chef and a nutritionist. All I have to do is clean the dishes. Everything he makes is incredible, very healthy, tastes awesome and makes me a lean- mean racing machine! grrrrr
So my favorite meal is pretty much everything he makes.

JuneBug said:
My boyfriend is a class act chef and a nutritionist. All I have to do is clean the dishes. Everything he makes is incredible, very healthy, tastes awesome and makes me a lean- mean racing machine! grrrrr
At'a girl !

Does he become the New York Times food critic when you take him out to a nice restaurant ? :D

Most cooking enthusiasts I know seem to critique every meal when dinning out. You are a lucky one if he doesn't.

lwedge said:
At'a girl !

Does he become the New York Times food critic when you take him out to a nice restaurant ? :D

ha! your post made me laugh. its like you know him. yup. he's super picky. :)

Catabolic_Jones said:
A nice pizza with lamb sausage, peppers, mushrooms, feta ... and a Shiraz.

Oh yeah!
Yes pizza is the best !!
Home mixed tomato, than ORIGANO than tons of cheese than ORIGANO than 15min on 200°c and that some more of ORIGANO

MLJASK ;)

JuneBug said:
Catabolic_Jones said:

JB,

You know the writing is on the wall; If you love all his food you are doomed to become a little less mean & lean over time. That stuff about armies marching better on a full stomach is probably true but hungry people win bike races.

I'm now not so mean and not so lean and couldn't win any thing.

Kind regards,

After a long ride i pig out on tuna fish and tv dinners. usually three or four.
(I know its sad and pathetic)

Anything thats not out of a packet, I had no cooker in my current house when I first moved in for 3 months as I was skint and ended up living on microwave meals, not eaten one since.

My favourite though is Chilli (my style), made with chunky veg and great big pieces of fresh turkey or chicken, I'm starting to do a 'Homer' drool just thinking about it ............... agggggghhhhh ........... chillllllliiiiiiiiiii

Mentioning Homer, I've just remembered I love jam doughnuts too, but they're just plain dangerous, I can never eat just one so I have to stay away from them for fear of pigging out on a box of 10 ............... agggggghhhhh ........... doughnuts

Aaron H said:
Anything thats not out of a packet, I had no cooker in my current house when I first moved in for 3 months as I was skint and ended up living on microwave meals, not eaten one since.

My favourite though is Chilli (my style), made with chunky veg and great big pieces of fresh turkey or chicken, I'm starting to do a 'Homer' drool just thinking about it ............... agggggghhhhh ........... chillllllliiiiiiiiiii

Mentioning Homer, I've just remembered I love jam doughnuts too, but they're just plain dangerous, I can never eat one so I have to stay away from them ............... agggggghhhhh ........... doughnuts

AH,

Chilli certainly goes well with chicken and turkey. Jam donuts are really not my thing though.

Now don't forget the beer, since we're on to these things! I just love that Duff .....oops! ....... stuff, I meant to say. :eek:

Kind regards,

Aaron H said:
I've just remembered I love jam doughnuts too, but they're just plain dangerous, I can never eat just one so I have to stay away from them for fear of pigging out on a box of 10 ............... agggggghhhhh ........... doughnuts
I cured myself of eating doughnuts by eating as much as I can in one sitting. Krispy Kremes seem the be the thing these days so I one day I sat there with 2 dozen managed about 6-7 and felt like I wanted to barf afterwards and gave the rest away...could never touch them again.:eek: Dont think I've touched any doughnuts since or had any cravings. Lucky I dont have a sweet tooth anyways.

Rockslayer said:
I cured myself of eating doughnuts by eating as much as I can in one sitting. Krispy Kremes seem the be the thing these days so I one day I sat there with 2 dozen managed about 6-7 and felt like I wanted to barf afterwards and gave the rest away...could never touch them again.:eek: Dont think I've touched any doughnuts since or had any cravings. Lucky I dont have a sweet tooth anyways.

Rockslayer,

I have never been able to understand the hype about Krispy Kremes. I'd rather a Crown Lager anyday. :)

Kind regards,

James Bruce Gil said:
Rockslayer,

I have never been able to understand the hype about Krispy Kremes. I'd rather a Crown Lager anyday. :)

Kind regards,
Agreed, it's all hype for a bit of dough fried and saturated in lard and coated again in sugar. ( another chain invading our shores delivering obesity to our nation to the unweary )

Rockslayer said:
Agreed, it's all hype for a bit of dough fried and saturated in lard and coated again in sugar. ( another chain invading our shores delivering obesity to our nation to the unweary )
+1 on the Krispy Kremes ..... I can't see the attraction.

As for favourite meal - panfried chicken livers (pan deglazed with brandy), accompanied by caramelised onions, mashed tatties and a green salad. Yum!

A seafood linguine, with mussels lining the dish, pasta with red sauce, and shrinp and scallops. Mmmmmm, Belissimo!

2 meals for me.

1) Garlic Shrimp (gambas ajillo) which my wife learned to make when I was stationed in Spain. ( a long time ago).

2) Fried chicken the way my late mother used to make. She fried it in Crisco shortening (old school) and made a delicious gravy with the drippings and would pour it over rice. When I get to heaven I am going to ask her to make it for me. :)
My wife tried to duplicate the gravy but it didn't turn out well. The end result was it clogged up the sink when we threw it away. :D

I am afraid that making gravy is a lost art.

Doug

djrocker257 said:
2 meals for me.

1) Garlic Shrimp (gambas ajillo) which my wife learned to make when I was stationed in Spain. ( a long time ago).

2) Fried chicken the way my late mother used to make. She fried it in Crisco shortening (old school) and made a delicious gravy with the drippings and would pour it over rice. When I get to heaven I am going to ask her to make it for me. :)
My wife tried to duplicate the gravy but it didn't turn out well. The end result was it clogged up the sink when we threw it away. :D

I am afraid that making gravy is a lost art.

Doug

Doug,

Garlic prawns in the Spanish style is very good; Perhaps even a little nicer if you add a little chilli.

Fried chicken is tasty and gravy is great, but I'm not so sure of the Crisco.

All mothers go to heaven, and we sons would love to join them.

There is an old saying that, "the way to a man's heart is through his stomach and what hangs from it".

Unfortunately, most of us blokes will go to hell, since the ladies we prefer to chase usually can't cook, but are better sports and so appeal to that other appendage. These sporting lasses probably also head in that direction since its innevitably going to much more fun there.

Well that's probably my fate at least. :p

Kind regards,

James Bruce Gil said:
Doug,

Garlic prawns in the Spanish style is very good; Perhaps even a little nicer if you add a little chilli.

Fried chicken is tasty and gravy is great, but I'm not so sure of the Crisco.

All mothers go to heaven, and we sons would love to join them.

There is an old saying that, "the way to a man's heart is through his stomach and what hangs from it".

Unfortunately, most of us blokes will go to hell, since the ladies we prefer to chase usually can't cook, but are better sports and so appeal to that other appendage. These sporting lasses probably also head in that direction since its innevitably going to much more fun there.

Well that's probably my fate at least. :p

Kind regards,

I will have to remember the chili powder. By the way, I can't argue about
your philosophy on the other appendage. But as I get older and slow down,
I enjoy food a lot more.....