your favourites in UCI event

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by amirm, May 30, 2004.

  1. amirm

    amirm New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2003
    Who were favourites during the UCI championship event in Melbourne? and why?

    Mine were:

    female: The Kiwi Sarah Ulmer because of her style and character, and of course her looks. :)

    male: was the Dutch rider Theo Bos (a real FlyingDutch ;)) for his charisma especially after his two falls in a row during one of his races. It was until he did what he did in the semi-final race (not good sports). :(

    Tags:

  2. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    >Originally posted by amirm
    >Who were favourites during the UCI championship event in >Melbourne? and why?

    Anna Meares smiling right at me with the aussie flag on her
    back after winning gold in the ITT. (I think I have the photo
    too...)

    Rochelle Gilmore waving to the crowd after a horrid crash in
    which (I think) she broke her collarbone - anyone confim this?

    The crowd's cheering every time the commentator said "Australian"! :)

    hippy

  3. Brian Watson

    Brian Watson Guest

    > >Originally posted by amirm Who were favourites during the
    > >UCI championship event in >Melbourne? and why?
    >
    > Anna Meares smiling right at me with the aussie flag on
    > her back after winning gold in the ITT. (I think I have
    > the photo too...)
    >
    > Rochelle Gilmore waving to the crowd after a horrid crash
    > in which (I think) she broke her collarbone - anyone
    > confim this?

    That is what the TV comentator said.

    > The crowd's cheering every time the commentator said
    > "Australian"! :)
    >
    > hippy

    Brian

  4. Bluenose

    Bluenose Guest

    Brian Watson wrote:

    > "hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > >Originally posted by amirm Who were favourites during
    > > >the UCI championship event in >Melbourne? and why?
    > >
    > > Anna Meares smiling right at me with the aussie flag on
    > > her back after winning gold in the ITT. (I think I have
    > > the photo too...)
    > >
    > > Rochelle Gilmore waving to the crowd after a horrid
    > > crash in which (I think) she broke her collarbone -
    > > anyone confim this?
    >
    > That is what the TV comentator said.

    They also mentioned that she won't be going to Athens
    either. Which is terrible news.

  5. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Bloody sickening accident to witness, just past the "MCG" Corner.
    The Official Photo crew (whatever), were milling around for photos while she was on the deck. Found that kind of revolting....

    Brilliant when Rochelle raised her arm to acknowledge the crowd.
    Heard on radio _maybe she might go to Athens, but her chances are pretty slim,
    <http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/05/30/1085855431346.html>

    More, ta Hippy! Loud people sitting to our left,
    <http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/may04/WTC04/?id=day5/img_6170>

  6. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    [austinpowersvoice]

    Yeah Baby, YEAH!!!!

    [/austinpowersvoice]

    That was me jumpin up'n'down in the Dutch No7 Soccer top everytime BOS rode

    Him and that Italian silver medallist in the women's 25k points race. Hubbah, hubbah ;)

  7. coowoowoo

    coowoowoo New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2004
    If we are going to hubbah hubbah, where do i start???? I think the highlight was seeing one of the UK team warming up, pulling his bib/brace thing down to his crotch and rubbing his bits with vaseline for what seemed like eternity. I couldnt look away. It was like a train wreck..
    I like the big man.. Sean Eadie.. love his facial hair and his big buns of steel.

    I also liked the dutch boy theo bos.. very exciting to watch. I am still raving to all at work about how exciting an event it was to go to and how you cant appreciate how fast and fit all the women and men are. It was $50.00 well spent.

  8. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    >Originally posted by cfsmtb
    >The Official Photo crew (whatever), were milling around for >photos while she was on the deck. Found that kind of >revolting....

    Hmm.. whilst not 'official' I am also guilty of photographing her when downed... wanting to get a shot and morbid curiosity can kinda take over.. :S

    >Heard on radio maybe she might go to Athens, but her chances >are pretty slim,

    How long until Athens? If it IS only a collarbone she might be
    able to heal in time but the reduction in training from now until the Olympics could be what keeps her out.

    hippy

  9. Humbug

    Humbug Guest

    On Sun, 30 May 2004 23:29:59 GMT, amirm <[email protected]> Wrote :
    > Who were favourites during the UCI championship event in
    > Melbourne? and why?
    >
    > Mine were:
    >
    > female: The Kiwi Sarah Ulmer because of her style and
    > character, and of course her looks. :)

    Her and Sean Eadie. They both always seem to be
    laughing at something. They're not too shabby at racing
    bikes either...:)

    > male: was the Dutch rider Theo Bos (a real FlyingDutch
    > ;)) for his

    I thought it was a bit harsh when one of the Garys, either
    Sutton or Niewand I can't remember which, awarded him "Best
    on Ground". As I say - a bit harsh...

    <snip>

    --

    Humbug

  10. Gags

    Gags Guest

    "cfsmtb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Bluenose wrote:
    > > They also mentioned that she won't be going to Athens
    > > either. Which is terrible news.
    >

    > Bloody sickening accident to witness, just past the "MCG"
    > Corner. The Official Photo crew (whatever), were milling
    > around for photos while she was on the deck. Found that
    > kind of revolting....
    >
    > Brilliant when Rochelle raised her arm to acknowledge the
    > crowd. Heard on radio _maybe she might go to Athens, but
    > her chances are pretty slim, <http://www.theage.com.au/ar-
    > ticles/2004/05/30/1085855431346.html>
    >
    > More, ta Hippy! Loud people sitting to our left, <http:-
    > //www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/may04/WTC04/?id=day5/-
    > img_6170>

    Hey......I'm in that photo......I'm the guy in the orange
    shirt a couple of rows in front of the lunatics in the
    yellow. They were pretty funny although the bike horns and
    hooters were wearing a bit thin by the end of the night.

    I personally liked the calls of "Go Anna" that started in
    the home straight on the Saturday for Anna Meares.

    My first time to a track event..........awesome.....would
    recommend it to anyone. The Maddison rocks!!!

    Gags

  11. Drs

    Drs Guest

    "coowoowoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    [...]

    > If we are going to hubbah hubbah, where do i start???? I
    > think the highlight was seeing one of the UK team warming
    > up, pulling his bib/brace thing down to his crotch and
    > rubbing his bits with vaseline for what seemed like
    > eternity.

    It's a bloke thing but it never lasts an eternity. More like
    just a couple of minutes. But I thought you grrlies knew
    that already.

    --

    A: Top-posters.
    B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

  12. coowoowoo

    coowoowoo New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2004

  13. Daveb

    Daveb Guest

    amirm wrote:
    > Who were favourites during the UCI championship event in
    > Melbourne? and why?
    >
    > Mine were:
    >
    > female: The Kiwi Sarah Ulmer because of her style and
    > character, and of course her looks. :)
    >
    > male: was the Dutch rider Theo Bos (a real FlyingDutch ;))
    > for his charisma especially after his two falls in a row
    > during one of his races. It was until he did what he did
    > in the semi-final race (not good sports). :(

    I didn't get to go to the racing but I did fly to NZ Monday
    morning and I've never seen so many flashy looking bike
    boxes and wheel bags at Tullamarine. You could also tell the
    teams on a budget with their bikes in cardboard boxes. I
    thought the Kiwi news was excited at my arrival in Auckland
    but then realised it was Sarah Ulmer they were waiting for.
    Oh well, anonymity for me.

    DaveB

  14. Bluenose <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    >> > Rochelle Gilmore waving to the crowd after a horrid
    >> > crash in which (I think) she broke her collarbone -
    >> > anyone confim this?
    >>
    >> That is what the TV comentator said.
    >

    > They also mentioned that she won't be going to Athens
    > either. Which is terrible news.

    She is planning to race again *this weekend* so if Athens is
    off the menu it's not directly because of the crash - it
    could be a qualifying thing - we'll try and find out.

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/riders/2004/diaries/rochelle/?id-
    =rochelle0413

  15. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    >Originally posted by John Stevenson
    >She is planning to race again *this weekend* so if Athens is
    >off the menu it's not directly because of the crash - it
    >could be a qualifying thing - we'll try and find out.

    Far out! That's tough!

    Go Rochelle!!!

    I had trouble with the URL, try this one:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/riders/2004/diaries/rochelle/?id=rochelle0413

    hippy

  16. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/riders/2004/diaries/rochelle/?id=rochelle0413

    "I travelled by ambulance to the hospital where I would lay in pain for six hours having x-rays and waiting for surgery. The collarbone had snapped right through and the surgeon placed a 7cm pin through the bone and completed the operation with a bone graft. Fixed - good as new! The surgery gave me instant pain relief, and I could move without grinding and pain. I got through the night on a couple of Panadeine Forte and that was the last of the pain-killers required. By lunchtime the next day, I was able to shower and dress myself before returning to my hotel to pack my bags and jump in a cab to the airport."

    6hrs! I had to wait 3 farking weeks!! Public health sucks.

    "Hey hippy we're going to put you under, you might never
    wake up..."

    "Fine."

    <Wakes up> "Hey doc, where's the blood/pins/fixed arm?"

    "Oh, we didn't pin the bones, they've already joined up"

    "Oh, thanks for that, my arm's only a couple of cm shorter and lower than the other one... so, who do I send my lawyer to
    speak to when I turn 40 and can't use my arm properly?"

    John S, can you find out what health insurance Rochelle has? Thanks :)

    <Worlds flashback> GO ROCHELLE!!!! </Worlds flashback>

    hippy

  17. Geoff

    Geoff Guest

    "John Stevenson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Bluenose <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:

    > >> That is what the TV comentator said.
    > >

    > > They also mentioned that she won't be going to Athens
    > > either. Which is terrible news.

    Correct me if I'm wrong. I don't think there is a Scratch
    race for women in the Olympic cycling program. So unless
    Rochelle is qualified in another track or road event then
    she won't be competing in Athens.

    Geoff