Your First Bike?

Susimi

May 24, 2015
What was your first bike and how long did you have it for?

I thought of this while cleaning my current bike last night and thought it would be good to ask :)

My first bike was a black mountain bike with 18 gears and no suspension. In fact I think it came out before suspension was being put on bikes. I do not know what brand it was but I do know it had "Astra" written on the sides in red. It was a pretty nice bike that was great and comfortable to ride. It took me over many miles and lots of different terrain during the time I had it which must have been something like 10 years. Towards the end of it's life it ended up having the wheels taken off of it for reasons I forget and I think my dad got rid of it in the end because it got to a stage where it was beyond repair. I still miss it though.

So, lets hear about your first bike :)

Always had a bike as a kid but as an adult getting into cycling. At 30 I bought a Huffy MTB. I did a few 60 milers on in it. It sucked, crank falling apart, no qr so I had to carry tools. Learned a little more about bikes so I went to a shop and bought a hybrid. Rode it for about 6 months, did a few organized 50 mile fun rides, Then decide to go with a road bike. Trek 1200, rode it for about 2 years then went to a Cannondale R 900. That was in 1998. Still have it and ride it occasionally. Along with my other current bikes.

I don't remember much about the bikes I had as a kid or through 4 years of college - I know they were department store bikes.

I still have my first "real" bike, a 1991 Cannondale 26" mt bike.

An older brother's 1957 Schwinn Phantom that was handed down to me. Later, a Schwinn 3-speed ('English') Racer.

If you want to get technical, 1967. I don't know what the heck it was, I didn't care. I just wanted to ride. :D

10583985_606680056131123_3872368519528192804_n_zpstc5omcv5.jpg

CAMPYBOB said:
1964 black plate Dodge Dart?

Yup! They weren't giving away Trek bicycles with auto purchases back then. I had to settle for this little
POS! :lol:

As a kid I went through multiple second-hand bikes from my older brothers, so I have no idea what kind any of the actually were, I just remember the colours. Likewise the only thing I really remember about the first bike I ever got new was that it was sparkly blue and had tassels on the handlebars :)

Loved reading the stories so far guys and seeing the picture :)

Keep them going if anyone else fancies contributing!

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
Oh, my first bike was a bright purple-reddish BMX. I was a 7 year old girl so I must be looked weird on it, but I liked it so much. It also had a small chair for my dolls. :))

Well, I started biking in the early 80's. This was a time when the BMX craze was in full swing. All the kids at school had them and I was constantly harassing my folks to buy me one. At first they didn't want me to get a BMX because so many kids where getting injured trying to pull off the various tricks and stunts that were popular. Eventually, they caved in and got me a shiny blue Mongoose BMX for my birthday. I just had to promise them that I would ride it normally and not try to do any stunts.

I first started riding at an early age and I think after learning to swim it's the next thing my parents made sure I could do.

My first bike was a small red BMX because at the time time the BMX craze was popular, and I remember going everywhere on that bike well, as long as my parent were with me of course as I was only about five years old!

It took a long time for my parents to get me my first bike, so I was 10 by the time I got my own and it was a 63 Stingray from Schwinn I think. I rode that till I was 14 then got a used 1960 or 61 Puch Bergmeister that was originally copper plated but someone tried to paint it blue but the paint was peeling off in areas so I had a blotchy sort of dull blue with shiny copper bike! When my parents moved to California my dad left that bike behind which ****** me off because when I got to my new home I had no transportation, so I walked a lot and took buses till I got a car 3 or so months later.