Your first cooking experience

"Saerah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
:
: Dimitri wrote in message ...
: >Other than cinnamon toast and cold cereal or a sandwich what
was the first
: >thing you cooked, and about how old were you?
: >
: >I distinctly trying my hand at scrambled eggs Mexican style at
about 11 (
: >after they cooked I needed to drain off the extra liquid from
the tomatoes
: I
: >put in).
: >
: >I second attempt was a pineapple upside-down cake in an old
cast iron pan
: >swerved with whipped cream about 3 yeas later. That one turned
out very
: >well. ;-)
:
: when i was about 9 or so i made peanut butter cookies,
mistaking teaspoons
: of baking soda for cups. when you bit into them, you foamed at
the mouth :)
: i wasn't allowed in the kitchen for a while after that.
:
: --
: Saerah
:===============

Awwwwwwwww! That's cute. <giggle>

Cyndi <Remove a "b" to reply

My brother brought home a trout,,,and asked if I would cook it,,,,,I cut off the
head,,washed it,,,,wrapped it in foil,,,baked it in the over for an hour....then
proudly placed it on the table......my Mom walked in,,,,,,took a slice,,,,and
asked why didn't I clean it 1st? forgot to gut
it.........Hey,,,,I was only 18... That's why I'm here! Cheers. "Dimitri"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Other than cinnamon toast and cold cereal or a sandwich what was the first
> thing you cooked, and about how old were you?
>
> I distinctly trying my hand at scrambled eggs Mexican style at about 11 ( after
> they cooked I needed to drain off the extra liquid from the tomatoes
> put in).
>
> I second attempt was a pineapple upside-down cake in an old cast iron pan
> swerved with whipped cream about 3 yeas later. That one turned out very
> well. ;-)
>
> Dimitri

> Dimitri wrote in message ...
> >Other than cinnamon toast and cold cereal or a sandwich what was the first
> >thing you cooked, and about how old were you?
> >
> >I distinctly trying my hand at scrambled eggs Mexican style at about 11 (
> >after they cooked I needed to drain off the extra liquid from the tomatoes
> >put in).
> >
> >I second attempt was a pineapple upside-down cake in an old cast iron pan
> >swerved with whipped cream about 3 yeas later. That one turned out very
> >well. ;-)
>
> when i was about 9 or so i made peanut butter cookies, mistaking teaspoons of
> baking soda for cups. when you bit into them, you foamed at the mouth :) i
> wasn't allowed in the kitchen for a while after that.

Oh that reminds me of someone in this house. Wasn't me by the way.

It was supposed to be cake but it was so damned heavy that one bite would
fill you up.

Next time it was so light it broke apart.

Then of course there are the famous Sahara Dessert cookies. Those were
interesting so long as you had a half gallon of milk handy for 3 or 4 cookies.

But my first real cooking experience happened when I was in my early 20's.
Spaghetti sauce... it was a little bit acidy the first couple times but I've
refined it since then and it's pretty damn good now.

lea b wrote:
> Dimitri wrote:
>> Other than cinnamon toast and cold cereal or a sandwich what was the first
>> thing you cooked, and about how old were you?
>
> I followed the recipe, and towards the end, it said
>
> 1 tbs flour salt pepper
>
> Well, I thought about it a bit, and eventually decided that the recipe must
> mean 1tbs of each. Apparently the stew was really hot & peppery, but I thought
> it tasted fine *harumph*
>
> Stupid, ambiguous recipe ;)

ROFL! That's too funny! I suppose that's why I write my recipes "salt & pepper to
taste", although, to a 12 year old that could probably mean you need a lot to
make it taste good.

Jill

I was about 7 when I decided to make a pot of Maypo, a sort of cream of wheat
cereal. I read the directions and put in the correct amount of water and maypo
but decided that it was WAY too thin, so I added more maypo to thicken it up.
Then more water when it started to get REALLY thick, then more maypo. Learned my
first lesson about following directions.

Bob C

"Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Other than cinnamon toast and cold cereal or a sandwich what was the first
> thing you cooked, and about how old were you?
>
> I distinctly trying my hand at scrambled eggs Mexican style at about 11 ( after
> they cooked I needed to drain off the extra liquid from the tomatoes I put in).
>
> I second attempt was a pineapple upside-down cake in an old cast iron pan
> swerved with whipped cream about 3 yeas later. That one turned out very
> well. ;-)
>
> Dimitri

Dimitri -

>Other than cinnamon toast and cold cereal or a sandwich
>what was the first thing you cooked, and about how old
>were you?

Like many other respondents to this thread I can't recall my
*first* cooking experience exactly. Helping with cookies,
etc, yes, grilled cheese sandwiches yes, but the first real
meal I remember cooking was this:

1 can Campbell's condensed tomato soup
1/2 can water 2 eggs 2 slices of toast 1 tsp of "herb
mixture" - some Mccormick blend mom had hanging around

In a pan mix the tomato soup and 1/2 can of water and bring
to a simmer, stirring. Add the herb mixture (I think it was
"fine herbes" or some such truck) and give it another stir.

Poach the eggs in tomato base, basting with a spoon. Toast
the bread.

Plate the bread, top with the poached eggs and pour the
sauce over the eggs.

IIRC I was about 12. I thought it was good and so did my
younger brother who demanded it every time my parents went
out for the evening.

I think I got the recipe out of "Boys' Life" magazine, not
that I was a Scout or anything.

Mom wasn't really much of a cook, feeling as she did that
food's function began when it hit the stomach rather than
the plate. But some of her comfort food was quite good.

I also fondly recall family work days, usually a Saturday or
a Sunday. Usually in fall/spring the family unit would
tackle yard chores, raking, sweeping, digging. About 11 a.m.
Mom would go start lunch, which invariably consist of corn
soup and sardine sandwiches.

Wolfe Family Workday Menu:

Corn soup: 2 cans cream style corn 2 cans milk

Combine and cook. My brother and I would put slices of
cheddar into our bowls and ladle the soup over it. Stir
until you get looong, gooey strings of cheddar throughout.

Sardine Sandwiches (make your own) 1 tin of large sardines
(big oval can, Eatwell brand by preference) in tomato sauce
sliced bermuda onion lettuce sliced dill pickles sliced
radishes "Good" bread (according to mom): Variety of
pumpernickel, rye, schwartzbrot and Romano's Italian bread
(for my brother whose taste in bread lay towards the softer
end of the spectrum).

Good times. The only part of being lactose intolerant I
regret is cream soups, may have to try Lactaid one of
these days.

Best,

Marc

MrAoD wrote:

> Dimitri -
>

>>Other than cinnamon toast and cold cereal or a sandwich
>>what was the first thing you cooked, and about how old
>>were you?

Interesting thread Dimitri.

Let me start by saying that I am, and always have been a
"fussy eater". As George Carlin says, that's a euphanism for
"big pain in the ass!" He's probably accurate too. ;-)

I was about 6 or 7 when my Mother made me over easy eggs,
bacon, and toast for breakfast one morning. I complained
that the bacon wasn't done and that the egg whites were
runny around the yolk and wouldn't eat it. She just calmly
said "well then, from now on do it yourself" and the next
morning I did.

--
Steve

On 6 Mar 2004 02:02:34 -0800, [email protected] (Bob) wrote:

>I was about 7 when I decided to make a pot of Maypo, a sort
>of cream of wheat cereal. I read the directions and put in
>the correct amount of water and maypo but decided that it
>was WAY too thin, so I added more maypo to thicken it up.
>Then more water when it started to get REALLY thick, then
>more maypo. Learned my first lesson about following
>directions.

Man, that was a long time ago!

"I want my Maypo!"
--

candeh

Steve Calvin wrote:

> Let me start by saying that I am, and always have been a
> "fussy eater". As George Carlin says, that's a euphanism
> for "big pain in the ass!" He's probably accurate too. ;-)

That's it for me too. The one who cooks get to make
everything exactly the way she likes. I buy broccolrabe, not
beets, potato chips, not twinkies. No one ever complains
when I bring the picnic lunch.

--Lia

Dimitri wrote:

> Other than cinnamon toast and cold cereal or a sandwich
> what was the first thing you cooked, and about how old
> were you?

I remember my first cooking experience. My mother was in the
hospital having my baby brother and my father was there with
her, so I had the kitchen to myself. I was not permitted to
cook, so I wasn't going to pass that opportunity up!

What to make, brownies from a box, of course! What else
would any self respecting 11 year old make? Well, we lived
in an apartment that had an oven where you had to light the
pilot light. I turned on the gas, waited, then lit a match.
WHOOOOOOOOOSHHHH! Nice little explosion and the smell of
burning hair. I was lucky it wasn't worse.

I don't remember how the brownies turned out.

nancy

Nancy Young <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I remember my first cooking experience.
[snip]
> What to make, brownies from a box, of course! What else
> would any self respecting 11 year old make? Well, we lived
> in an apartment that had an oven where you had to light
> the pilot light. I turned on the gas, waited, then lit a
> match. WHOOOOOOOOOSHHHH! Nice little explosion and the
> smell of burning hair. I was lucky it wasn't worse.

ROTFLOL! *THAT* would've been a Kodak Moment®!

> I don't remember how the brownies turned out.

Is that from the shock of the gas explosion or the
aftershocks from your parents' explosions? However did you
explain your knew facial and 'doo?

The "A Flame-out Survivor Too" Ranger

The Ranger wrote:

> Nancy Young <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > light the pilot light. I turned on the gas, waited, then
> > lit a match. WHOOOOOOOOOSHHHH! Nice little explosion and
> > the smell of burning hair. I was lucky it wasn't worse.
>
> ROTFLOL! *THAT* would've been a Kodak Moment®!
>
> > I don't remember how the brownies turned out.
>
> Is that from the shock of the gas explosion or the
> aftershocks from your parents' explosions? However did you
> explain your knew facial and 'doo?

Oh, it was from the explosion, I got real shook up.
Apparently not shaken up enough to learn my lesson. When
I was maybe 21, I turned on the gas on a grill, then lit
it. Notice no mention of opening the lid. Let's just say
I did not need to open the lid after the explosion blew
it upwards.

nancy (not allowed to have matches)

Nancy Young <[email protected]> sheepishly admitted in message
news:[email protected]...
> The Ranger wrote:
> >
> > Nancy Young <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> > > light the pilot light. I turned on the gas, waited,
> > > then lit a match. WHOOOOOOOOOSHHHH! Nice little
> > > explosion and the smell of burning hair. I was lucky
> > > it wasn't worse.
> >
> > ROTFLOL! *THAT* would've been a Kodak Moment®!
> >
> > > I don't remember how the brownies turned out.
> >
> > Is that from the shock of the gas explosion or the
> > aftershocks from your parents' explosions? However did
> > you explain your knew facial and 'doo?
> >
> Oh, it was from the explosion, I got real shook up.
> Apparently not shaken up enough to learn my lesson. When I
> was maybe 21, I turned on the gas on a grill, then lit it.
> Notice no mention of opening the lid. Let's just say I did
> not need to open the lid after the explosion blew it
> upwards.

Yep... My lone flamekiss was with a gas grill, too. The
electronic igniter wasn't providing a heavy-enough spark to
pop the gas so I flipped off the valve to let the vapors
dissipate. It was a hot, breezeless day. I apparently didn't
let them dissipate enough before I put a lit match in. I
remember "FWOOM!" and one of Little Brother's less-
intelligent associates doin' a Ted-impression, "Whoa!
Dude... <snork> That was totally awesome." As I turned to
glare at the kid, Little Brother asked, "Where are your
eyebrows?"

It was a painful (emotional and physical) Life
Experience(tm) that I don't recommend anyone try. The Gahdz
have a cruel sense of humor for those with blond hair and
fair skin foolish enough to play with fire. <G>

The Ranger

I asked to cook when I was 5. Mom said nobody could cook
unless they could read. Taught myself to read. Mom made me
prove it by reading the directions on the Jello package.
Made Jello.

When I was 9 I made my first family meal: Venison Swiss
Steak, frozen green beans, baked potatoes & butterscotch
pudding (box).

My daughter is 22. Can't boil water. Refuses to learn.

Lynn from Fargo

Nancy Young <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Oh, it was from the explosion, I got real shook up.
> Apparently not shaken up enough to learn my lesson. When I
> was maybe 21, I turned on the gas on a grill, then lit it.
> Notice no mention of opening the lid. Let's just say I did
> not need to open the lid after the explosion blew it
> upwards.
>
> nancy (not allowed to have matches)

When I was 10 (I was a Latch key kid) and home for lunch. I
decided on pop corn, not the sandwiches left for me. Just as
I was carrying the hot pot to the bowl, the phone rang, (mom
checking on me). I paniced and put the pot on a vinly chair,
to allow me to run and answer the phone.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on
nothing but food and water.

In article <[email protected]>, hahabogus
<[email protected]> wrote:

> When I was 10 (I was a Latch key kid) and home for lunch.
> I decided on pop corn, not the sandwiches left for me.
> Just as I was carrying the hot pot to the bowl, the phone
> rang, (mom checking on me). I paniced and put the pot on a
> vinly chair, to allow me to run and answer the phone.

That's a tough one to cover up. You get thrashed?
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-5-04.
Rec.food.cooking's Preserved Fruit Administrator (I've got

hahabogus wrote:
> Nancy Young <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
>> Oh, it was from the explosion, I got real shook up. >>
>> nancy (not
allowed to have matches)

> When I was 10 (I was a Latch key kid) and home for lunch.
> I decided on pop corn, not the sandwiches left for me.
> Just as I was carrying the hot pot to the bowl, the phone
> rang, (mom checking on me). I paniced and put the pot on a
> vinly chair, to allow me to run and answer the phone.

Never *ever* answer the phone when you're a kid and home
alone! Didn't your mother teach you anything? ;-)

jmcquown wrote:
> lea b wrote:
>>
>> I followed the recipe, and towards the end, it said
>>
>> 1 tbs flour salt pepper
>>
>> Well, I thought about it a bit, and eventually decided
>> that the recipe must mean 1tbs of each. Apparently the
>> stew was really hot & peppery, but I thought it tasted
>> fine *harumph*
>>
>> Stupid, ambiguous recipe ;)
>
> ROFL! That's too funny! I suppose that's why I write my
> recipes "salt & pepper to taste", although, to a 12 year
> old that could probably mean you need a lot to make it
> taste good.

I've still got the book ( mum gave it to me when she was
chucking out stuff before moving to another country ), and
i'm *still* resentful of the wording - to me, it still seems
plausible that the recipe called for a tbs of each :)

What's wrong with a "pinch" or "to taste", yes .... *that* I
would have understood ... :)

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 16:37:52 GMT, "Dimitri" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Other than cinnamon toast and cold cereal or a sandwich
>what was the first thing you cooked, and about how old
>were you?

French (excuse the term) toast in boy's cookery in junior
high school.

1942...age 12

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004, hahabogus wrote:

> Nancy Young <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
> > Oh, it was from the explosion, I got real shook up.
> > Apparently not shaken up enough to learn my lesson. When
> > I was maybe 21, I turned on the gas on a grill, then lit
> > it. Notice no mention of opening the lid. Let's just say
> > I did not need to open the lid after the explosion blew
> > it upwards.
> >
> > nancy (not allowed to have matches)
>
> When I was 10 (I was a Latch key kid) and home for lunch.
> I decided on pop corn, not the sandwiches left for me.
> Just as I was carrying the hot pot to the bowl, the phone
> rang, (mom checking on me). I paniced and put the pot on a
> vinly chair, to allow me to run and answer the phone.

This reminded me of one Spring when the snow had melted my
mother found one of her pots in the back yard. Turns out
someone (no it was not me) burnt something in the pot and
threw it in the snow in the back yard during the winter.

--
Send e-mail to: darrell at cs dot toronto dot edu Don't send
e-mail to [email protected]