Your first tour - is it ever as exciting again?

blackbird05

Dec 6, 2004
Hey all, I've been thinking back to exactly a year ago to when I was about to embark on my first extended bike tour. I remember the fly-off-your-handle excitement, can't-sit-still anticipation as time seemed to crawl before D-day, gut-clenching anxiety that something would somehow go horribly wrong, a surreal feeling that it was actually coming together and the ongoing concern that I'd somehow lost my mind to be doing what I was about to do. I don't know if I'll ever be able to top that feeling again.
So, in a moment of whimsy, here's a question to you repeat bike tourists: Does it ever come back, that cocktail of emotions before your first tour? Can you ever match that intensity of excitement on your second, third, fourth etc. trips?
How about the tour itself? Do you get the same feeling of giddy discovery and freedom every time?
Or is it different now that you're more world-weary, seasoned cyclists?
Pray tell.

nope.

it's all downhill from that point on.

better give up now while you're ahead. :rolleyes:

on the other hand, there's a certain sense of smug, self-confidence in knowing that you can and have dealt with anything that could possibly happen, and that no matter what the topic, your opinions are the only right ones.

not really sure which is better. guess i'd call it a wash. ;)

philso said:
nope.
it's all downhill from that point on.
better give up now while you're ahead. :rolleyes:
on the other hand, there's a certain sense of smug, self-confidence in knowing that you can and have dealt with anything that could possibly happen, and that no matter what the topic, your opinions are the only right ones.
not really sure which is better. guess i'd call it a wash. ;)

I wouldn't exactly call it a smug, self confidence but I think the knowledge that you gain from previous tours makes things better.
I've toured through a lot of countries and the is always something new to see and people to meet.
Using previous experiences to draw on I know what gear works and what doesn't. I know what to take and what to leave behind. Experience means that I can cook a great tasting healthy meal on my Dragonfly stove. On our last tour we met up with friends in Cahors, France that were traveling in a mobile home. Even with all the gear that they had, they came over to where we were and I cooked a dinner for 5.

As you get older you have more money and can afford to go to thase places that you couldn't when you were young.
It just keeps getting better!

Italy or France for 6 weeks next year, haven't decided yet.

Cheers

Geoff

Cheers

Geoff[/QUOTE]
how about if you fill in for me for a bit.

that way we could both take 3 weeks. ;)

of course, you could stay at my place while i'm gone.
you'll have to come up with your own plane fare though.

also, respectfully disagreeing with geoff, maybe i've gotten somewhat jaded, but even new countries no longer pack the excitement of my first big trip, when i had a wild combination of absolutely no idea what would happen and a bazillion expectations. or was it the other way around.

oh yeah, and another plus i forgot to mention is the arsenal of stories you accumulate.

philso said:

Cheers

Geoff
how about if you fill in for me for a bit.

that way we could both take 3 weeks. ;)

of course, you could stay at my place while i'm gone.
you'll have to come up with your own plane fare though.

also, respectfully disagreeing with geoff, maybe i've gotten somewhat jaded, but even new countries no longer pack the excitement of my first big trip, when i had a wild combination of absolutely no idea what would happen and a bazillion expectations. or was it the other way around.

oh yeah, and another plus i forgot to mention is the arsenal of stories you accumulate.[/QUOTE]

I dont know about filling in for you but I'd be interested in going to Japan for some touring one day :) You'd be welcome in Sydney.
I not very good at sleeping on planes, buses or trains so when I've been awake for 2 days straight I need a few days in a nice hotel to recover :) So if I go for just 3 weeks ........ it's just not long enough. I toured from '89 to '91 and I am just getting back into the touring now so it's new again in a way for me. It's a long way from here to anywhere except NZ.

Cheers

Geoff

I dont know about filling in for you but I'd be interested in going to Japan for some touring one day :) You'd be welcome in Sydney.
I not very good at sleeping on planes, buses or trains so when I've been awake for 2 days straight I need a few days in a nice hotel to recover :) So if I go for just 3 weeks ........ it's just not long enough. I toured from '89 to '91 and I am just getting back into the touring now so it's new again in a way for me. It's a long way from here to anywhere except NZ.

Cheers

Geoff[/QUOTE]
except for the fact that there are a lot youth hostels and you can usually find someone around who speaks enough english to help you out, there are nicer touring experiences to be found in other countries. for the most part, roads are narrow, have a high volume of traffic, and often have deep uncovered sewage ditches inches from where you're riding. not to mention that there are seemingly as many convenience stores as in north america and europe combined. and expensive. you can easily pay 2 or 3 u.s. dollars for a package of tofu and $3 or $4 for a tiny cup of coffee with no refills.:eek: there are nice places here and there, but you'd better do your homework first. ;)