Your heartrate in rest

Routier said:
Hello, I just measured my heartrate in rest...
It's 35 beats per minute... Isn't this paticulary LOW...
I also measure my condition with the Polar OwnIndex system and that's 72...
Is this good :cool:
My resting HR runs in the 40's. I just had my BP meds changed and on my stationary bike w/arm motion, I don't get over 80 @ 15MPH. That speed makes me breath deep and gives me a good workout. I'll measure my recovery rate after one minute and post again.

ric_stern/RST said:
yes, it represents something, but what?

what happens if you are actually overtrained and your resting HR decreases, as can happen

The most common response of resting HR to overtraining is to increase.

Hypnospin said:
I never really considered this. you know, one week i had piled on a couple 100mi. rides in addition to commuting and training and group rides and stopped at a light, rested my elbows on the bars and watched in amazement as the Polar showed a decrease into the 30 bpm's as i waited for the light. maybe i was overtrained, but within a couple weeks i was feeling like flying, maybe peaking.

I do not consider resting rate as the ultimate indicator of anything neccesarily, just always looking for cause and effect.

It is quite common for heart rate during effort to decrease quite markedly during a period of rest as heart stroke volume can stay high.

What you have measured at the lights is unrelated to resting heart rate, which is typically taken immediately after you wake up in the morning (and it, for it to be of any use, should be taken at the same time each day). ;)