your local bicycle store

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by vspa, May 1, 2010.

1. vspa

vspa Active Member

Assuming there are a few on your area

Tags:

2. 64Paramount

64Paramount Active Member

I've got a bike shop less than a mile from my house that I really like and I split my business between them and on-line stores.

3. vspa

vspa Active Member

i forgot the online shop option...
    anyway i do as you do
    with the exception that i sometimes buy (physically in other store) the accessories and bring them to the shop

4. graf zeppelin

graf zeppelin New Member

As far as local shops, I'm loyal only to one. I have two in walking distance from where I live, and something like four or five if I am willing to drive 35 minutes in one direction or another (but why do that?). No matter what comes up, I only go to the one shop.

I know all the mechanics and we always chat a while when I go in. I know most of the rest of the people that work there. Its a nice shop, with a good selection and they can order most anything and always help me out. I'd literally feel bad going anywhere else, so I dont even look.

Only thing is, I also know some of the people at the other shop, and rides go out at various times from both, and sometimes I attend one or the other. I neutral in that regard.

However, I do also shop online. I have to. I simply havent the income right now to blindly pay retail when the deals I can get online for some items is a large savings even after shipping. Wish I could. A lot of things I'll take the loss though and just buy it from the shop, since it supports my favorite place. Its always a balance.

5. Yonni

Yonni New Member

That's a toughie. I'm loyal to only one LBS but I buy alot online as it's so much cheaper and I've got a wishlist as long as my arm.

6. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

We have many bike shops in the Cincinnati/Dayton area in Ohio so there are plenty to choose from. However, I do all of my own maintenance and repairs so all I ever go to one for is parts and accessories. Lately I have been going to our local Performance retail store because they have great specials and their prices are right in line with their website And if they don't have it in stock, they will order it and I don't have to pay shipping because it is added right in with their regular stock shipments. There is another shop that is only three miles away and I go there for the odd bearing or cable ends. Actually there is a sporting good chain in this area called ****'s Sporting Goods that has a great selection of quality bicycling gear and beats a lot of the bicycle specific shops in price and hours of operation. I would not trust them to do maintenance or repairs on my bike, even though they do offer the service. Their wrenches seem to be a little young and inexperienced to me.....but I guess you have to start somewhere.

7. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

My local bike shop owner died recently.

The Irish papers reported the passing of Joe Daly in Dundrum.
    I bought all my bikes and cycling equipment and accessories for Joe.
    The man was a gentleman.

Here is what they said about Joe :

Roche pays a glowing tribute to late Joe Daly - The Irish Times - Wed, Feb 17, 2010

THE 1987 Tour de France champion Stephen Roche has paid tribute to the man who sold him his first serious racing bike, Joe (Tansey) Daly, who died on Monday.

“I have a monument to myself in Dundrum, but Joe was himself a monument there,” Roche said yesterday from his hotel in France.

“He did a huge amount of good for cycling.”

Daly passed away after a short illness.

He was a few weeks away from his 90th birthday, yet continued to work each day in his well-known bike shop in Dundrum, showing characteristic energy.

“I heard he was ill and had planned to fly back to see him,” said Roche, who was from the area and started cycling with Orwell Wheelers, a club with a long-running connection to Daly.

Roche won the 1978 Rás Tailteann on a Raleigh 753 he bought in the shop, and remained in contact with Daly during his career and afterwards.

Daly started the business back in 1951 and helped many into the sport, both by selling bikes and giving advice, and also helping to teach children about road safety.

He played a significant part in bringing bike lanes to Dublin.

He was also a driving force behind the fundraising and construction of the monument to Roche’s stunning 1987 season, when he won the Tour de France, Giro d’Italia and the World Championships.

“The reason he lived and worked so long is that this flame was burning inside him, this love and passion for the sport,” said Roche.

Daly, who was married for 50 years to his late wife Kathleen, is survived by his sons and daughters Paul, Bernadette, Francis, Catherine, David and Claire.

His removal will be this evening from Fanagans Funeral Home in Dundrum to the nearby Church of the Holy Cross, Dundrum, arriving at 5.30 pm.

His funeral mass will start at 11am tomorrow, going to Shanganagh Cemetery afterwards

8. genedan

genedan New Member

I favor my local shop, Mellow Johnny's since it sponsors the team I'm on. I'd actually not go there otherwise since without the perks it's actually very expensive.

If I need to get routine stuff, i.e., tires, chains, etc. I will get my stuff online. If I need servicing on my bike however, or to pick up special deals, I go to the shop.

9. Yonni

Yonni New Member

:eek: You'd better hope your sponsor doesn't frequent this forum

10. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

In Fort Wayne we don't have a lot of choices. We had 3 bike shops but one went out of business which was ok because they were dunces, which is amazing that they stayed in business for 12 years!! The other one has only been in business for about 5 years and the folks working there are teenagers, again not a lot of knowledge, but at least they sell Scotts which is rare to find in LBS's that mostly carry Treks, Specialized, Giant and Cannondales, but that's all they carry. That store has a very nice artsy/homey/yuppy feel to it. The other called Summit have very knowledgeable staff, and they are now much more helpful after I wrote a letter to the owner due to the staff being uppity about 3 years ago. Otherwise the choice is in reality limited to just one, Summit, which is too bad considering there are over 350,000 people living in the county.

11. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

I have to give kuddos to my closest LBS. I needed four cable ends for a freind's bike that I tuned up. I thought that I would pay about 5 cents each for them and they gave them to me for free. Now I guess I'll have to go there and buy some tires or water bottles or something. Their flagship brand roadbike is Masi. I would love to buy one of those but I'll have to save a lot more pennies to get that!

12. pkingfla

pkingfla New Member

I am really mostly loyal to one LBS but visit and buy from all of them depending on sales or prices of various components.

I wonder how the LBS makes it today competing against the internet?

13. eddykow

eddykow New Member

Does anyone ever ask their LBS for a discount on parts? I wanted to buy a CATEYE computer and asked my LBS if he could do a little "better" on the price. He discounted it to the same price I would have paid ordering on the net with shipping. It pays to ask.
    Also some some bike clubs advertise on their sites that their members get a discount if they deal with certain LBS's. I was at another LBS and asked for a disount and received the same as a club member. It pays to ask.