Your longest bike trail ride?

Cully_J

Jul 12, 2009
Hello,

The recent bike trail thread makes me wonder what your longest trail was like. Where did you do it? How far did you cycle?

Because many of us aren't regular bicyclists, I'm also interested in the type bike you used.

Thanks,
Cullen
Appleton, WI

Cully_J said:
Hello,

The recent bike trail thread makes me wonder what your longest trail was like. Where did you do it? How far did you cycle?

Because many of us aren't regular bicyclists, I'm also interested in the type bike you used.

Thanks,
Cullen
Appleton, WI
I am fortunate to live in an area in Ohio where we have an interconnected series of paved trails that stretch well over 200 miles. There is the Little Miami Trail-Simon Kenton Trail that runs from Cincinnati to Urbana. Connected to it is the Cedarville Trail that runs from Xenia through Cedarville nearly to Columbus. There is also the H-Connector which connects the Little Miami Trail to the system of trails in Dayton. Along with all of the interconnected trails, there is a pretty good selection of stand alone trails that are 5 niles or more.

The farthest that I have ever ridden on a trail was 120 miles....60 out and 60 back....on the Little Miami Trail between Yellow Springs and Foster's Landing. The type bike was a road bike, specifically a 2003 Raleigh Competition with upgraded wheels.

There's miles of bike paths in theTwin Cities metro area, I don't know the grand total, but it wouldn't surprise me to learn there are 200+.

I've got a bike path route I like to ride that's 38 miles long and it's just riding along the river in St. Paul.

I've got 2 road bikes to ride, a Schwinn and a Cannondale.

well around the world is the longest ride but i don't think that it is all on a Non-Moterized path. the longest single path that i have done is The trail of the Coeur d'Alenes accross most of northern Idaho, at 72 miles, but i have done it out and back in a single day 144 miles on a Giant OCR 2

Only about 100km up and back along the bike path next to the kwinana freeway. Perth Aus

Hi. One Sunday I did 128mi. Chicago-Crystal lake- Elgin- Chicago.
After I had 2 flat tire I bought new tires.
Most of the road is paved, but about 15mi is not. Beautiful path.

I'm confused, when I see the word "trail" I think of unpaved off road trail requiring a MTB, crossbike, hybrid, or touring bike and would be unsuitable for the typical road bike; when I see the word path I think of a paved bike path, so I'm not sure which you want an answer for. Some trails are questionable because while they may not be paved they used crushed limestone and shale that can be ridden easily with a road bike and seem more like pavement then not, so not sure how those would be classified though they call them trails.

Be it as it is, I did get to ride the Muncie IN trail(?, again it's paved not sure I would call it a trail) to Richmond IN which is about 45 miles this summer. I took the bike in the back of the pickup truck and went to Muncie, from there hopped on the bike with my gear on it hooked onto the Muncie trail and rode that into Richmond, stayed overnight in Richmond at Deer Ridge Campgrounds which was a lot cheaper than the KOA campground that wasn't to far away and had to take some county roads to get there, then the next day I headed back to the truck.

Last year I did the Kal Haven trail in Michigan. That one is a crushed limestone shale trail which like I said is very much like pavement so again the question I have about trail vs path. That one my wife and I were doing a camping trip with the trailer and spent the night at South Haven Mi, so I rode the trail to the end which was near Kalamazoo, then I went back in the same day. That one was about 70 miles round trip.

Anyway those are the longest trails/paths I've been on. I have never been on a real off road trail for any distance, there were some non official trails in California I've been on, but I don't think I ever went further than maybe 8 to 10 miles since they were kind of rugged and had to be done on a MTB and that bike didn't have a computer so it could have been less but not sure because the going was very slow due to the trail conditions.

88 miles on the paved Western Reserve Greenway (44-miles out & back) using a carbon road racing bicycle. Champion, Ohio to Ashtabula, Ohio and back.

My longest bike trail ride would probably be a few kilometers at most. I haven't done long distances. It's quite hard for someone my age. Best for those with proper training.

I too would think some kind of gravel trail but after 9 years, I don't the OP cares! :D