Your Longest Ride

Originally posted by 62vette
My plan is definitely to hook into the right bunch and make it as easy as possible.

I am not quite as unprepared as you'd think. I have trained up to and beyond my target time, but not in a bunch all the time hence the distances of my longest (and solo) rides have not covered the same distance as the event.

I have a training plan from Mike Styliano of Performance Lab (Jon Ackland http://www.cyclingnz.com/science.phtml?n=30) who have previously seen me through a half marathon without leaving too much blood on the pavement (although quite a bit of sweat.)

I rode a 100km event two weeks ago in 2:47 (in a good bunch,) so I'm quite happy with my preparation to date.

Cheers,
Lindsay

You sound well prepared. Always great to get that distance under your legs and **** before hand. But we all train differently. Good luck to you!!!!!!!

Memph

I plan on doing much longer rides in the future. Give me some encouragement by telling me your longest ride. It can be in any form: race, tour, recreational ride or even an attempt at a distance record, personal or otherwise. Include the total even if you stopped to eat, but let's say that naps mean the ride ended. [/QUOTE] :)

Your msg got me thinking.. how many miles.. at the moment I'm giving it around 80 miles each day. Does that qualify me as a cronic cycler or just daft ;)

Originally posted by Paul Graham
Your msg got me thinking.. how many miles.. at the moment I'm giving it around 80 miles each day. Does that qualify me as a cronic cycler or just daft ;)

80 miles every day?

Let me guess. You have some kind of long distance bicycle courier job. I'd say you are fitter than probably 99% of the people on this planet.:D

Originally posted by 2LAP
80 miles every day?

On average.. sometimes a little less, often more.
I get a good piece of music on the walkman (cycleman?)
and forget to stop :)

Pj

Originally posted by gntlmn
Let me guess. You have some kind of long distance bicycle courier job. I'd say you are fitter than probably 99% of the people on this planet.:D
:confused:

Not a courier.. honestly :)

Although most people think I'm a dreamer, strange thing though.. when I invite them out to crank the campags, life gets busy ;)

Pj.

Speak for yourself. I'm in that 1%, as I also do roughly the same distance.

Great to see others cycling well.....

Memph

Maybe we should start the 1% club Memph? :)

Isn't there already a club for that. Racers. I'm attempting a comeback, that is reason I ride/train hard..

Plus have little enough free time now. Another club...

Memph

Originally posted by Memphmann
Speak for yourself. I'm in that 1%, as I also do roughly the same distance.

Great to see others cycling well.....

Memph

I believe I'm in that 1% too, but I don't do nearly this mileage, and I doubt I'm nearly as fit. All I'm doing now is cross country skiing.

Consider this: Among the top 1% fitness, there can be an enormous range because this category includes the elite of the elite: the top 1% of the top 1%. The other 99% includes even people who cannot walk and people on breathers, also the very young and the very old.

I believe I'm in that 1% too, but I don't do nearly this mileage, and I doubt I'm nearly as fit. All I'm doing now is cross country skiing.

Consider this: Among the top 1% fitness, there can be an enormous range because this category includes the elite of the elite: the top 1% of the top 1%. The other 99% includes even people who cannot walk and people on breathers, also the very young and the very old.

Great, am healtier then an enfant or "Mr. Burns" from the Simpsons. That make me feel great....

;0

Memph

Isn't there already a club for that. Racers. I'm attempting a comeback, that is reason I ride/train hard..

A few of my cycling companions consider themselves racers.
But few train to place, thats OK, myself.. I hate to lose :)

The only way I can train is hard, I get a feeling of guilt if I haven't worn out a chain and block in three weeks.

Good to see I'm not the only one. Hope your comeback is going well, keep riding and training hard, nobody remembers second placers.

Keep us informed

CC skiing.. from what little I know, thats a tough sport.

Absolutely. Most sports, cycling in particular, requires the rider to be fit.. elite fit if he/she wants to do well. In my experience the majority of people hate exercise in any form, so 1% for the rest of us sounds about right.

Then of-course, there's the psychological aspect.

Being in the top 1% doesn't make you Lance Armstrong (that would be the top 0.001% or higher,) but it does make you a uniquely fit and capable person.

The top 1% is basically all the people who actively get out to train and regularly compete in events like half marathons, 100k rides, adventure races and the like - plus all the senior level sports people like football, netball, basketball players etc.

If you're doing four hour bunch rides regularly that's pretty cool and you're doing your physical and mental health a power of good.

Consider this, New Zealand has a population of 4,000,000 and events like the recent Auckland marathon, half marathon and 10k run attract 10,000 or so entries. This weekend 7,000 odd riders will be doing the 160k ride around Lake Taupo. That's way less than 1% of the population, and it's a lot of the same people doing all these kind of events.

Whether you finish 160km in better than 4:15 with the professional riders going for the prize money, or grind it out in 6:30 on your old mountain bike you've achieved something unique for yourself.

Cheers,
Lindsay

My longest ride is coming up in 10 days, 160km - the Lake Taupo Cycle Challenge in New Zealand. See http://www.cyclechallenge.org.nz. My longest training ride to date has been around 130km.

I am targeting 5:15 as a finishing time.

160km is one lap of the lake. There is also the option of doing two or three laps for the seriously deranged.

Lindsay

Well I survived the challenge, and finished inside my target in 5:11, 351st in my grade (35 - 44.)

I lost my bunch about 40km into the ride when my chain came off the chainring, and got caught about 10km later by another bunch that had some mates from the group I train with and we rode the rest of the way together. The same phenomenon that I have experienced in various 100km rides ensued with about 6 of us doing the front work and everyone else free loading at the back. We seemed to have either a head wind or cross wind all the way, although the wind obliged to push us up the last big hill 20km from the finish.

One of my cousins finished the enduro (320 km, two laps) first in his age group (55 - 59) and 14th over all in 14:40. The man likes a challenge, he also does the Coast to Coast (http://www.coasttocoast.co.nz) and similar multisport events.

Lindsay

Well I survived the challenge, and finished inside my target in 5:11, 351st in my grade (35 - 44.)

I lost my bunch about 40km into the ride when my chain came off the chainring, and got caught about 10km later by another bunch that had some mates from the group I train with and we rode the rest of the way together. The same phenomenon that I have experienced in various 100km rides ensued with about 6 of us doing the front work and everyone else free loading at the back. We seemed to have either a head wind or cross wind all the way, although the wind obliged to push us up the last big hill 20km from the finish.

Lindsay

I have a feeling next time you might not be so courteous to the freeloaders and instead breakaway from the front with the other riders pushing the wind. :D

Whether you finish 160km in better than 4:15 with the professional riders going for the prize money, or grind it out in 6:30 on your old mountain bike you've achieved something unique for yourself.

Absolutely..

But grinding it out on your mountain bike doesn't get you into the 1%.

One of my cousins finished the enduro (320 km, two laps) first in his age group (55 - 59) and 14th over all in 14:40. The man likes a challenge, he also does the Coast to Coast (http://www.coasttocoast.co.nz) and similar multisport events.

Lindsay

Congrats on finishing and doing it in your goal. Always feels good when you set a gaol and accomplish it.

How did you lose your bunch because of your chain? Did it break? Takes me a moment for my chain to get back onto chainring. Just shift into biggest ring & should jump back onto small ring. Then sprint back to pack. In all shaould take like 30 seconds.

Impressed with your cousin.......

Memph

Being in the top 1% doesn't make you Lance Armstrong (that would be the top 0.001% or higher,) but it does make you a uniquely fit and capable person.

The top 1% is basically all the people who actively get out to train and regularly compete in events like half marathons, 100k rides, adventure races and the like - plus all the senior level sports people like football, netball, basketball players etc.

If you're doing four hour bunch rides regularly that's pretty cool and you're doing your physical and mental health a power of good.

Consider this, New Zealand has a population of 4,000,000 and events like the recent Auckland marathon, half marathon and 10k run attract 10,000 or so entries. This weekend 7,000 odd riders will be doing the 160k ride around Lake Taupo. That's way less than 1% of the population, and it's a lot of the same people doing all these kind of events.

Cheers,
Lindsay

So what you are writting about is that anyone that regularly rides or does any type of regular exercice is in the 1%. So that would put me lower then like .5% because I stomp all over them on rides. Now my ego is growing......

I know ppl who exercise or ride regularly, but not 3-5 hours like myself. So this has to have me lower then them....

Memph

So what you are writting about is that anyone that regularly rides or does any type of regular exercice is in the 1%. So that would put me lower then like .5% because I stomp all over them on rides. Now my ego is growing......

I know ppl who exercise or ride regularly, but not 3-5 hours like myself. So this has to have me lower then them....

Memph

Am Satan's child. Hit the # of the beast.....

Memph