Your Longest Ride

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by gntlmn, Oct 22, 2003.

1. 62vette

62vette Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the chain came off the outside of the big chainring, wrapped round the crank and also jumped out of the bottom tension pulley on the rear derailleur so I had to stop and get my hands greasy to fix it. Just enough time for the bunch to swoop by and the closest I could get to them was 100m trying to chase them down. You don't realise how much tyre noise a bunch of 100 or so riders makes till you hear the silence after they've disappeared round the corner :-(

The owner of my local bike shop is now anticipating an upgrade from me from a 10 year old steel bike to something constructed from aluminium and carbon. I'll be expecting a discount for riding in his shop colours :)

Lindsay

2. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

That was 1 unlucky situation. In all of my years & kms of riding, have NEVER had this happen to me. Your front was set-up incorrectly. Had to be in order for this to happen......

Memph

3. 62vette

Yep. Most definitely a set up issue.

I dropped a water bottle on the front derailleur a few months ago which bent it out of shape. My LSB straightened it back up, but did say if it dropped the chain again I would have to replace it. It just waited till the big day to let me know it needed replacing. One of the adjusters is most likely not holding its position.

I think a new derailleur is in order.

Lindsay

4. Paul Graham

Paul Graham New Member

I know how this feels on a MTB, locked up the rear wheel and gave me an introduction to a large rock.

You shoud notice quite a difference, after 10 yr old steel, a alu/carbon setup is pedaling heaven.

5. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

You are full of stories that have never happened hope never shall. To bad it had to occur on the ride & not a training ride.

You purchasing a new bike for just big rides/races or to also train on?

Memph

6. 62vette

I'll be saying bye bye forever to CrMo and hello to Al/C for both training and big rides.

In time I will invest in some race wheels or some bullet proof training wheels depending on what the new bike comes with.

Lindsay

7. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

I'm also planning on purchasing a new bike this off season. Except that the new one is only going to be raced on. Use the older bike for the big kms done training. Plus the difference in weight shall make training better and me go faster on lighter bike in races. Then if something happens (break down, accident, etc) during training, still have new bike to race on. This way my new bike shall hopeful last as long as this one. My training bike now use to be my racing bike......

Memph

8. ffvelazquezh

ffvelazquezh New Member

Sorry for my ignorance: But could you explained to me what is the RECUMBENT and why has a big advantage over the standard frames??

9. bfra1

bfra1 New Member

210klm is my current best in the Around the Bay ride. Ride time was just under 9 hours (not including stopping to help a friend fix 2 punctures) and waiting for the ferry crossing.
    Can't wait for next year as hope to do better training.
    It's amazing how nice those Gels taste when you are extremely hungry :)

10. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

Recumbent means a frame designed so that the rider is lying down rather than sitting up the way you see for most bikes. This doesn't always mean lying completely down. There are a wide range of recumbent designs. The idea is that the frontal surface area is reduced on a recumbent, and the wind resistance diminishes as a result.

You might want to check out these websites for some popular designs, to give you an idea. But there are many others as well.

http://www.easyracers.com/

http://www.lightningbikes.com/bicycles.htm#Product Line-Up

The problem with recumbents is that they are typically quite a bit more difficult to control than an upright, but you can go quite a bit faster and you don't get saddle sores or numbness in your hands or neck. They also cost about 5 to 10 times as much as an upright, and they are a lot longer than an upright which might pose a problem getting them in and out of doors or into a vehicle to transport them.

11. trekrider4315

trekrider4315 New Member

I ran a 48 mile race through an open plain total time = almost 6 1/2 hours. Luckily it started at 10 so i had a huge breakfast at 8 and was ok until about 2, then the fun began. Try running an open plain in mid summer day. I got hungry when all adrenaline was spent. However theres no time sense on an open plain. Luckily the top 10 runners get trucks to follow in case they get too tired and nearly die. I had to sit out for about 10 mins cuz breakfast made an escape, but i couldnt sit for long due to leg swellign. It was pretty fun. That was a run though, no record bike races.

12. fasterTHANyou

fasterTHANyou New Member

buddies of mine and i do 50 miles or so on the [email protected] canal trails pretty reguraly... its not too extreme, but a good workout on a saturday or sunday

13. mfbarnes

mfbarnes New Member

My son Patrick (age 17) and I rode the Highland's County (Florida) Century yesterday. It was actually 108 miles. It was a little more difficult than we thought. It seems we pushed a little hard at the front end and were low on fuel at the back end. I hae been riding longer and have put more miles in than he has. It didn't seem to matter how many calories he took in. He was really beat at the end. He saw it as a very real accomplichment and so did I!

Mike

14. Triplecentury

Triplecentury New Member

Is anyone planning to do the grand slam (planet ultra.com) event in 2004?

15. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

I see what you're talking about when I visit the website. Actually the link is www.planetultra.com with no space.

I notice that a Grand Slam is to complete at least 4 official Planet Ultra double century rides in a year. I took a look at the official list of riders completing the Grand Slam in 2003 and notice some riders have the exact same times in several events as other riders, indicating that they ride together on each ride and probably draft each other.

This is also the website which has the Furnace Creek 508, which is as it sounds--a 508 mile bike race. That's incredible.

16. trekrider4315

trekrider4315 New Member

Furnace creek has a run too but not quite 508...or so i hope.
    It goes thru there n around some mountain in the area...nuts.

17. Scarbones

Scarbones New Member

I've been mountain-biking for a couple of years, but splurged on a decent roadie this year (a Specialized Allez Columbus with Ultegra components), and my first long ride was a 106-miler around Utah Lake called the U.L.C.E.R. (Utah Lake Century Epic Ride). It's not a timed ride and it's pretty flat, and I wasn't too hammered after. So next September, a bunch of us are going to do the LOTOJA, which is a ride from Logan, Utah to Jackson Hole, Wyoming, 203 miles. I'm trying to get ready now, and plan on riding the ULCER as a warm up. Ride on!

18. svtchris

svtchris New Member

150 miles Tour de Tucson at age 11
    MS150, a year or two ago from Dallas to Oklahoma

19. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

I don't think I've heard of someone riding that far at such a young age. That's impressive!:D

20. svtchris

svtchris New Member

Ya, I got 3rd place in my age group.

Was training for it for about 6 months.
    Had a cool neighbor who got me into the sport.

He worked for the post office and his name was mark.
    Wish I knew more than that, would like to contact him.

I moved when i was 12, never went back, etc.