Your most recent bike related purchase?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by steve, Oct 30, 2013.

1. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

"Yup, it's fairly water repellant."

Did you get the "Imported From Detroit" bulletproof option?

2. MotownBikeBoy

MotownBikeBoy Active Member

Well, you know, Detroit proper, yes, that would be a minimum requirement. Actually out here in the 'burbs it's very safe. Little bit of property crime, almost no violent crime save for the once in a while domestic situation.

3. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

Got a used Miele frame and a bunch of vintage components for a winter project. It won't be original this year but next year I'll have the original Campy group in the budget and that will be next years project, possibly with a trip for the frame to CyclArt for a spruce up.

4. kitchenmh

kitchenmh New Member

14 Jamis Nova Elite..with Rival set. Just starting to ride a CX bike!

5. ElvinTom

ElvinTom New Member

I just bought a helmet couple of days ago.

[​IMG]

6. kitchenmh

kitchenmh New Member

Is that a road or MTB HELMET?

I need a reasonably priced one for Cyclocross.

7. Cyra DC

Cyra DC New Member

Black burn Front and rear lights! Dst strikes again. Anybody can suggest a sub for cycleops or kurt trainers? These 2 are good but off my budget. . $100?

8. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Check out the Travel Trac trainers at Performance Bike. DCRainmaker rates on that he has used quite well. I'd definitely recommend a fluid trainer over a wind trainer or a magnetic resistance trainer.

9. CAMPYBOB

Nashbar has mag trainers starting at $110 and fluid models starting at $120. A coupon code will bring those down a few more dollars.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/CategoryDisplay?storeId=10053&catalogId=10052&langId=-1&orderBy=4&searchTerm=&beginIndex=0&pageSize=16&categoryId=202608&metaData=

Magnetic, fluid and fan trainers all have good and bad points (noise, leaks, heat affecting resistance, etc.). You'll be dollars ahead buying a rear tire made to handle the heat and accelerated wear characteristics of stationary trainers if you plan on putting more than a few winter hours on it.

10. maydog

maydog Well-Known Member

I have the Performance Bike Travel Trac Century V Fluid Plus unit that sees occasional use in foul weather. It has adjustable resistance, but I usually just keep it in the highest setting and use the bike's gearing to adjust.

The heatsink could be better. When things start getting intense, the heatsink can get quite hot - even in a cold garage. Too hot and you can feel the unit complaining; pour a bit of water on the thing and it sizzles off in a cloud of steam. The cooling is better with a fan blowing on you and it. Other than that, it has been dependable and effective.

I used to use worn tires that I had save from the previous season for the trainer. They work OK, but now I have a trainer specific tire since it was required to do a few trainer sessions at a local bike shop.

11. Cyra DC

Cyra DC New Member

So these trainer specific wheels you guys are suggesting...you'll have to keep installing and uninstalling the wheels whenever you'll use the trainer or do outdoor rides?

12. maydog

maydog Well-Known Member

You would not want to ride a trainer tire on the road. You could swap between trainer and road tires on the same wheel, but that could be tedious. I have plenty of spare / retired road wheels and spare cassettes, so I just swap out the whole wheel and cassette as a unit to convert between road and trainer use. Its quick and easy.

Those of us with several bikes to choose from may just set one or two up for trainer use in the winter and use the rain / snow bikes on the road.

13. CAMPYBOB

There are some trainer tires that are suitable for road use.

Here's one: http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1069774_-1___

I certainly wouldn't enter the local criterium on it, but they seem to work OK for dry road riding. A friend doesn't unbolt his rear all winter, once he puts his hard trainer tire on. Like Dave suggested though, they are not designed for hard cornering and they may cut a bit easier than a road tire.

I forgot to add...

Just burning thru cheap road tires is also a good option for winter training indoor and out. The traction is often better on the trainer than the harder (but cooler running) trainer tires and you will not waste the more expensive road tires by killing them on the trainer. If the cheapo road tire still has some wear life on it when the sun comes out and the roads are clear...just go outside and ride it!

14. mpre53

mpre53 Well-Known Member

Assuming that your bike has a quick release on the rear axle, it takes practically no time at all to swap wheels. The longest part of the job is removing and re-installing the axle.

15. danfoz

danfoz Well-Known Member

If you aren't running good tires that burn quick like the Vittoria CX this is not bad advice. I rode for years on a trainer before I knew there was even such a thing as a trainer tire just accepting I'd be throwing on a new pair of tires for the new season. But be warned you will burn through tires 5x as fast on the trainer vs. the open road. That's my SWAG.

Swapping the rear wheel out for one with a trainer specific tire (f you got an extra pair of wheels) is no big deal, swapping the tire out each time for a trainer tire is a pain in the ass.

16. slowfoot

slowfoot New Member

Put deposit on specialized fatboy .... Yehaw Gonna be a good new year!

17. JohnyRain

JohnyRain New Member

Picked up a replacement battery for my old Sigma computer. BORING!

At lease I had a good, little 16 mile ride to the LBS!

18. bathtub95

bathtub95 New Member

A new 2014 Specialized Allez Sport last week and some new Ultegra pedals and Shimano shoes this week. Turning into an expensive hobby, and haven't even started my inevitable upgrade to an 11 speed drivetrain yet! :p

19. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Ride your new bike like you stole it. Ultegra pedals: nice choice. I have the Dura Ace pedals, and they're my favorite of the pedals I've used. As for the expense, just wait until you start jonesing for a second bike.

20. danfoz

danfoz Well-Known Member

Or amass a bib collection like Felt's. [​IMG]

Luckily aside from tires, and if well maintained, most of the investments made in this sport can be enjoyed for many years. I got some DA 7810 pedals, seriously sweet hardware.