Your most recent bike related purchase?

Most recently, I purchased a pair of Lake MXZ303 mountain bike shoes and a helmet mount Niterider light for night time mountain bike rides.

Originally Posted by adenough
Does this count? 90s Dawes Galaxy. Banana was extra.
Are these cantilever brakes??? Enjoy your death-trap!
big-smile.png

You know I thought the same about cantilevers. I removed some off another bike because they were dreadful. When I bought this bike I made sure I had a pair of long reach sidepulls ready to replace them.
However I'm amazed how good they are. I've had no problems and they will stand the bike on end. I've been out in some terrible weather and they have performed fine.
We will have to see how it behaves loaded in the wet.
I just toured with a guy on a LHT with cantis and he never mentioned any problems. http://adenough1.blogspot.co.uk/

You know I thought the same about cantilevers. I removed some off another bike because they were dreadful. When I bought this bike I made sure I had a pair of long reach sidepulls ready to replace them.
Yeah if they dont go "Sideways" on the "Pull hook"... Good luck "Adjusting" them then...

CX bikes apparently are still using them, but -only- because of mud clearance... Even on those they are gradually being replaced with disks. No other type of bikes are using them no mo...
big-smile.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by adenough .

However I'm amazed how good they are. I've had no problems and they will stand the bike on end. I've been out in some terrible weather and they have performed fine.

Maybe you got some good (aggressive) brake pads?

Originally Posted by Volnix

Yeah if they dont go "Sideways" on the "Pull hook"... Good luck "Adjusting" them then...

CX bikes apparently are still using them but -only- because of mud clearance... Even those are gradually replacing them with disks. No other type of bikes are using them no mo...
big-smile.png
Hmm.
Dawes are still using them plus SLHT, Edinburgh Cycle, Raleigh Royal, Sabath Silk Route. Ridgeback, Rivendell etc, etc.
I know they are a nightmare to adjust but braking with Koolstop pads supposed to be fine.

Hmm.
Dawes are still using them plus SLHT, Edinburgh Cycle, Raleigh Royal, Sabath Silk Route. Ridgeback, Rivendell etc, etc.
I know they are a nightmare to adjust but braking with Koolstop pads supposed to be fine.
Hmmm didnt mean a specific brand by CX, but various brands using them for their CX (aka Cyclocross) bikes. These kinda need lots of mud clearance and since V-brakes don't cut it, they use either Canti's or Disks...

I tried to adjust a very cheap mountain bike running with with canti-brakes once. The cable was "fixed-bent" and it wasnt that easy moving it to the left or right between the two pads. The centre cable didn't have a fine adjustment like this either:

In total it just felt too "random" as a brake system... At least with road V-brakes you can easily adjust with just the adjusting barrel until the pads are too worn out and then just pull the cable a bit more and secure it. The brake is probably gonna be level all the time and if it isn't you can adjust it with the single securing bolt on the fork or seat-stays... No "sliding" cables on a hook at all...
Btw... Manchester?
big-smile.png
Is Co-op still selling those 3 for 2???
big-smile.png

I landed at CDG Paris a few years ago and putting the bike together I couln't get the rear canti to stop rubbing the wheel and it was getting dark. I just rode it in the end until enough had been rubbed off one block to enable it to stop catching. Not fun.
I don't know about the CO-OP as there is not one near us. Not tried that. Wonder if it's a proper beer or a lager? No, must be a beer.
big-smile.png

I landed at CDG Paris a few years ago and putting the bike together I couln't get the rear canti to stop rubbing the wheel and it was getting dark. I just rode it in the end until enough had been rubbed off one block to enable it to stop catching. Not fun.
That sounds pretty bad... Best braking system I used so far regarding to braking performance were some 2kg drum brakes with "cooling disks".
big-smile.png
They would stop anywhere in any weather and they were really easy to use... But they were heavy and since they were also fixed with bolts to the frame, a flat needed some tools and it was about an hour to repair... Haven't tried disks yet.

Something like this looks like a great tourer: Although its not really a tourer but a cyclocross bike with rack fittings...

I don't know about the CO-OP as there is not one near us. Not tried that. Wonder if it's a proper beer or a lager? No, must be a beer.
big-smile.png
It's a miracle it is!
big-smile.png
Hmmm maybe Co-op is a Newcastle shop... That's were I discovered it...
big-smile.png
It's an ale I think. It's very nice...
wink.png

I just got Shimano BR-5700 caliper brakes. I'm wondering why the front brakes came with several different-length nuts (the nuts that go onto the other side of the bolt through the frame).

Quote: It's a miracle it is!
big-smile.png
Hmmm maybe Co-op is a Newcastle shop... That's were I discovered it...
big-smile.png
It's an ale I think. It's very nice.
When I say not near me. I mean the closest one is about 2 miles away. Which is pretty far here for a shop.
Most shops are in walking distance including huge supermarkets. Co-ops are all over the UK.

Quote by U2K:
"I'm wondering why the front brakes came with several different-length nuts (the nuts that go onto the other side of the bolt through the frame)."

Forks are manufactured of varying thicknesses (front-to-rear) due to material used, design and whether the use an 1", 1-1/8", 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" bottom headset dimension. A shorter or longer female hex or Torx nut is utilized to compensate for the dimensional variances.