Your most recent bike related purchase?

3mm titanium bolts from Hong Kong to replace the super-easy-to-strip **** bolts supplied with Ritchey's otherwise flawless WCS 260 stem.

Assos 434 knickers (am I the only one who likes knickers?)

Finally bought a saddle bag and all the goodies for inside. (Luck has been on my side not getting a flat thus far.) I also just bought a nice Castelli kit and a pair of Castelli socks! An a pretty cool LBS t-shirt!

I finally replaced my slightly too-small Specialized Allez with a Bianchi Impulso (105) a couple days ago. Swapped out the stock wheelset with Shimano Ultegra 6800s.

Let this snow melt soon, please.

Originally Posted by Dansky
I finally replaced my slightly too-small Specialized Allez with a Bianchi Impulso (105) a couple days ago. Swapped out the stock wheelset with Shimano Ultegra 6800s.

Let this snow melt soon, please.
I couldn't help but notice the excessively long rear brake cable housing.

I hadn't noticed that the rear brake cable housing looks particularly long, even comparing it to a couple of other roadies here at home.

Any downsides to the length, or is it just a matter of personal taste, Maydog?

Not a huge deal functionally but excessively long housing results in extra bends and an extra tight radius that the cable must travel through. This can increase the friction on the cable. In application, the impact is likely very small.

The rear housing should just be a single arc between cable stops. My preference is to use lengths just long enough. Sheldon has a good example for rear brake housing length:

http://sheldonbrown.com/cables.html

If you decide to remedy it, the fix is easy. Just shorten the housing a bit. I like to cut cables with a dremel and cutoff wheel.

Yes, I was just reading the Sheldon Brown article when you responded. Makes sense to me, to reduce the length. Maybe I should finally get a pair of cable cutters and ferrules so I can try my hand at this. I have a dremel and cutoff wheel as well.

Thanks!

IIRC, Elite or one of the other bottle cage manufacturers offered a sweet celeste/black.white polymer cage.

Yes...Elite. I use this model in the black/red/white color and for it's a very good cage. Priced about $12 at Wiggle or Chain Reaction (forget where I bought them).

Bianchi USA is asking $32/each for them, but shop around and do enjoy that nice bike! Whenever the Hell this damned snow ever decides to melt off!

Thanks, Campybob! I'm actually planning to break the Bianchi in on a group ride this coming week.

Accuweather.com is saying 47º on Thursday, if we can believe that - a bit of a heat wave for Chicagoland.

A friend of mine switched to the Elites and got me to try them. The 'Custom Race' is a sturdy, good looking cage. Supposedly they are more bomb-proof than the carbon models.

When I switched from stainless cages to the Elites I did it on a new bike build. The new Jossanova bottles and cages made a strange noise that I spent a couple of hours trying to pinpoint. I was convinced it was some weird crank/pedal/cleat noise, but the sound was more of a swishing noise and was not quite in time with the pedal cadence.

In desperation and after checking and double-checking everything else I finally pulled both bottles and stuffed them in my jersey pockets. Noise found! The water sloshing in the bottles made a sound like I've never heard coming from any other bottle. The timing of the sound was in synch with the swaying of the frame which was almost in time with the pedal stroke...somebody shoot me! Must have been caused by the fancy internal valve inside the bottle?

I started 2nd round upgrading on my one of the super light Evo 6 weeks ago. Here's the list :
Café Roubaix Haleakala tubular(982g), AX Lightness saddle(58g), Tune U20 quick release(23g), Cannondale SISL2 crankset(485g), YBN gold Ti chain, Hylix bottle cage(16g), Extralite stem(76g), 6Kcycles seatpost(103g),MT Zoom clamp(5.5g).

I brought some new bidons this week, my old ones had a heap of mould in them..... YUK! reminder to everyone, wash your bidons regularly.

Originally Posted by ambal
I brought some new bidons this week, my old ones had a heap of mould in them..... YUK! reminder to everyone, wash your bidons regularly.
Mould huh?
big-smile.png

After a lifetime of swigging down BPA a little mold might do us good.

I use a good bottle brush and on a hot, sunny day I can still see green **** forming in a perfectly spotless bottle. Some water has high organic compounds.

At least that's what I was taught to say at doping controls!