Your Opinion - Trek 1500 vs. Cannondale R700

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dijital, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Dijital

Dijital New Member

I am days/weeks away from buying one of these bikes. :)

The bike will be used for club rides, hill and interval training, a few overnight assisted tours, but no aggressive racing unless it's just for fun and recreation.

Besides the obvious differences of the rear derailleur being Ultegra on the R700 vs the 105 on the Trek, what do you think would serve best.

Is the price difference justified?

Trek 1500 ($1449 CDN)

Cannondale R700 ($1589 CDN)

Tags:

2. triguy98

triguy98 New Member

The Trek 1500 at my LBS has an Ultrega rear...
    Personally, I think cannondales are ugly as heck. I vote for the 1500.

3. yancy0303

yancy0303 New Member

i voted for the 1500. I have a 2004 model. from what I understand the '05 1500's were spec'ed for full 105 however do to a shortage at the factory some were equipped with an ultegra rear derailleur.

4. swngnblues

swngnblues New Member

Trek 1500 here. I bought the '05 model about a month ago, and sad to say, due to a few inclement weekends (lovely NC winters here - darn slushy stuff) - it's seen more trainer miles than road miles.

I've always thought it looked like a sharp bike, especially with the red/white/blue scheme (although i didn't buy on looks alone), and the 105/bontrager race-group was enough for me to get going - and decide which way I'll go. I'm pretty much at the same level you are at - getting into light racing, mostly centuries and what I call fun rides (although Mountains of Misery and Blood/Sweat/Gears don't sound like fun at the moment!) I'm already debating that if i get heavily involved in racing, as to upgrading the lower components to an Ultegra 10spd w/compact gearing (or just going to OCLV altogether!)

5. ganderctr

ganderctr New Member

I looked at an R700 before deciding on the Trek. The Cannondales are slightly more aggressive in their geometry (slightly is the key word here) and the Trek fit better for me. My 1500 has the Ultegra rear derailleur and, if you really want one, they are not terribly expensive (likely less than the price difference).

6. swngnblues

swngnblues New Member

Right - my LBS offered me the option to upgrade to the Ultegra rear.. but after some discussions with the guy, decided against it - just in case I do move up to the 10spd and/or compact.

Under my impression (reasoning, more like it) - the price difference for Ultegra vs. 105 is miniscule - when to save just a few grams on the derailleur alone (I could easily drop that on myself in a week), it didn't seem to be worth it. I'll worry about gram-shaving when I'm a Cat 1 or 2 racer doing the regional circuit :) . Feel-wise - I'm too new to be worried about that, or performance. If it works, and is reliable, and doesn't weigh a ton - I'm happy... for now ;)

But needless to say - if ya want it - most LBS's, I would think, would do the upgrade without too much issue, or too much extra cost. They swapped stems for me (same level) without any added cost, and the individual cost of the derailleur is about $10-15 difference (from what I've seen in catalogs).

7. manvell

manvell New Member

I was looking at 1500's but when I went to LBS they had a R800 for the same price. It was better equipped on the shop owner said it had a better quality frame. I tend to agree, the paint and finish are much nicer. I didn't like Cannondales ;thought of them as yuppy bikes, but now I really think they are good value and good rides. Just personal opinion though, so go with what you like the best.

8. KMC

KMC New Member

I Have An 04 Version Of The Trek 1500. Works Great For Me.

9. Ashley3

Ashley3 New Member

I have a Trek 2300 and a Cannondale 700. I like them both, but the Cannondale is my first choice every time out the door, unless it's raining. :)

10. Dijital

Dijital New Member

Thanks for all the advice everyone! :D

I have purchased a Trek 1500. It was $1449 CDN and it made all the difference. That price spread was hard to justify.

I like the bike and it seems very fast. It's still snow covered here in Ontario and I will be out as soon as it is nicer. However I did run it down to the end of my road and back (~4km) and found that it handled very well. I also realized I need to get riding again ASAP! (huff puff)

Thanks again everyone!

11. waterboy420

waterboy420 New Member

Get the bike that fits best, components can be upgraded later as neccessary. I ride a Seaco replica CAAD5 C'Dale and love it. The geometry as others have stated is oh so slightly more aggressive. I rode several Specialized, Trek and C'Dales before deciding on my ride. This is my second C'Dale in a long list of bikes and I love it. Just my 2¢.

12. Cyclist14

Cyclist14 New Member

Get the 1500, the 2005 model has a carbon seatpost and an Ultegra rear. You won't find a carbon seatpost on the cannondale.

13. jojoaist

jojoaist New Member

You will find a carbon seatpost on the cannondale.

14. easton08

easton08 New Member

Guys lets use our heads here when comparing bikes, one step in a derailular means almost nothing. We should be looking at whats important, like the frame. Just to give you guys an idea of the value of the R700's frame. 2 years ago the same exact frame as what the R700 has now was used on a $5,000 bike, the same frame. To get that much value from a trek you almost have to go to their carbon bikes. And the ride doesnt just come from the fork and the seat post, if you have the R700 squeese the supports coming from the rear derailular to the seat post, the bend in your hand, that is what dampens the ride for the R700.

15. Rominger

Rominger New Member

One more vote for the Trek 1500. Seen the R700 and don´t think can match the specs of the 1500.

The 1500 is very well balanced and still haven´t heard of anyone complaining about it.

Love my 2004 version and plan to keep it for a long time.

16. Ashley3

Ashley3 New Member

By the way, I was in the bike shop the other day, and unless my eyes are failing, the R700 they were offering looks very different than my bike:
    http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/02/cusa/model-2RR7USA.html

Truth be told, I didn't look very closely at it, since I was more interested in a couple of other bikes, but......

17. oneradtec

oneradtec New Member

I ride a Trek OCLV...but I must admit that the Cannondale paintjobs has always impressed the heck out of me!