Your opinions on this frame please

Solanog

Feb 12, 2004
I've had a hard time finding an affordable frame for my new bike. Here in Costa Rica they are very expensive and most of the time not available. I found this and seems like a good value, it's not that fancy as some very known brands but I suppose it's made in China as a lot of others. So I'm thinking about getting this one.
So does someone knows about this brand or what's your opinion about this frame set, it's supposed to be 2.7lbs with an all carbon fork. I like the Al frames with carbon forks. Not a big fan of carbon frames, they may be better but it's not my cup of tea. I would consider one with a carbon rear fork but have may doubts about durability and about the bonds between carbon and all at the joints.
So this is the frame>

http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_STOR20.cgi?Action=Details&ProdID=1041

thanks for your opinions.

Bike Island is a companion site for the same people as bikesdirect.com, and on another forum, the general consensus is that they provide reasonable quality bikes as long as the person buying from them is able to do their own assembly and adjustment.

The majority of complaints I have read in the other forum about their complete bikes seem to be related to cheap bottom brackets and/or poor installation of some components... therefore, if you are doing that part yourself, you should be fine.

This information is second hand, but I think based on my interpretation of that second hand knowledge you should be fine with that frame.

EDIT: Of course, it doesn't look like they ship to Costa Rica.

dgregory57 said:
Bike Island is a companion site for the same people as bikesdirect.com, and on another forum, the general consensus is that they provide reasonable quality bikes as long as the person buying from them is able to do their own assembly and adjustment.

The majority of complaints I have read in the other forum about their complete bikes seem to be related to cheap bottom brackets and/or poor installation of some components... therefore, if you are doing that part yourself, you should be fine.

This information is second hand, but I think based on my interpretation of that second hand knowledge you should be fine with that frame.

EDIT: Of course, it doesn't look like they ship to Costa Rica.

I have a shipping address in Florida so that won't be a problem.

I saw this frame and seems like a good value, it's suppossedly light and comes with a full carbon fork, that's what I'm looking for. I would've like it in red but it's only available in brushed Al or black.
I would be assembling it since I already bought an Ultegra group and have the tool for mounting the bottom bracket. I've built my bikes since quite a while. Some have been bought complete and then improved with better components as my MB and others have been built from the frame up, and I enjoy doing this. So assembling won't be a problem. I even built my wheels a while back and they worked very well. I only took one for trueing after some miles because it needed someone of experience for truing it. The problem was not adjusting it from side to side but it was a little like an oval or had a little "bump", I didn't had the truing tool and really didn't know what should I do to correct this. The guy at the shop only needed like 15 minutes for repairing it counting the time to remove the tubular! He charged me $0 for the work, great guy.

Does someone know about the service? How long does it take for them to ship the parts? Can they be trusted?

Thanks for your help.