Your (recent years) crash history?

Reid2

Jan 6, 2011
I have about eighteen hundred miles on my current bike,
a dorky, modified, Trek Lime Lite.

I ride at cruiser bike speeds, no helmet for me.

I crashed only one time, so far. It was my fault.

My cable lock mounting came loose and I looked down to move the cable lock
from brushing my legs on the seat tube.

A Mercedes Benz SUV was stopped ahead of me.

I rear ended it at about six-per.

The bike tipped forward, I did not fall.

The MB suffered eight hundred dollars damage,
dented rear hatch and smashed taillight assembly.

The Trek got not even a scratch. Its balloon front tired wheel
was not even put out of true.

I could do worse, I guess, if I were young and a road biker again,
going eighteen or more, in a crouch, a fine target for immovable objects.

And you?

Last year on the last day of a 7-day, 360-mile tour, I rear ended another rider when the group SAID they were going through an intersection, then decided to stop. I hit him in the rear derailleur, but was almost stopped, so no damage or injuries. Prior to last year, I hadn't ridden bikes much for about 20 years, so I don't recall my last wreck. Probably while doing something stupid on a BMX bike or something.

huh. two rear enders in a row. maybe we should get married. huh uh.

OK. I made my joke.

Still it is amazing how huge groups of road bikers run through Miami streets early on weekends,
and apparently never crash or rear end each other. I find it amazing.

I like to cycle slowly, solo. My accidents are much easier to avoid that way. Cars veer. : )

In July, 2011, I was heading downhill on a MUP, going under a bridge, the trail is just wide enough for a bike each way, as there's a creek on the left side and embankment on the right side. I was just gearing down and here comes a young kid on a MTB, flying down the trail, out of control and taking up the WHOLE trail!!! I shoved the bars as far right as I could without hitting the embankment, so he missed by a inch or so from a head on. I went to stop and my front wheel caught some sand and put me on the ground hard. Tore a chunk out of my right knee and was bleeding and dirty.

Luckly I carry handi-wipes and first aid kit so I pulled off the MUP and proceeded to clean myself up, OUCH, getting pebbles out of wounded knees really HURTS!, put on some meds and big bandage and limped the 15 miles back home. Bike seemed ok, just a scratch on the pedal and had to adjust the rear derailer a bit. I REALLY slow down and make sure, there's no traffic coming down at that spot. 1st. bike accident in many, many years of riding and it's on a MUP! Arrrugh! ;(

Here's the key to not rear ending cars and other bikes: pay attention to what you're doing and learn how to use your brakes properly. Also, by turning the handlebars left or right, it's possible to avoid things that might be otherwise hit.

I haven't had a real crash (knocks on wood) resulting in any injury or damage, but I know where bjjoondo is coming from. Several days ago I was coming back into town after a ride and was on the highway through a residential area. I saw about a 12-year-old or so kid coming down the sidewalk in the opposite direction on a BMX/Street bike. He decided to cross the highway by jumping the curb in between two parked cars coming out right in front of me still doing a wheelie. I saw it coming so I was already on the brakes but from the look on his face, he never saw me until it would have been too late. I'm glad he picked two short cars to cross between, if there had been a van or a pickup truck, I'd have never seen him in time.

I'm all for kids being active, riding bikes, and just being kids, but I don't know how we as parents and/or cyclists can get the message across about helmets and even basic self-preservation skills, not to mention consideration of others. It scares me to think of what would have happened if instead of me, it had been a senior citizen on his/her cruizer.

Originally Posted by alienator .

Here's the key to not rear ending cars and other bikes: pay attention to what you're doing and learn how to use your brakes properly. Also, by turning the handlebars left or right, it's possible to avoid things that might be otherwise hit.
Dude... don't go stating the obvious. It'll ruin the thread :p

Well, I rear ended that MB SUV and it was my fault for being distracted by a loose cable lock.

Stating the obvious is good: The Trek wasn't even perturbed. The MB learned a $900 lesson,

don't drive a car that can't beat a bike.

: )

new little video, no crashes ever, but for one,

Before i start, i'm not bitter in the slightest.
I was fined for riding on the pavement opposite a cycle path so i decided to go on the cyclepath and some idiot decided to stay hidden round a corner waiting for me to smash head on into him. The cyclepath had lines dividing the path into a two way system and i was on my side only to meet this T**T.
I wasn't speeding but fast enough not to stop in time, i turned my handle bars last second and launched myself at him with my shoulder, i hit him in the chest and throat and wasn't too happy about it.
I went on to explain about basic cycling rules, lanes, sides to be on, he explained 'there was someone on my side of the path!!'
So i stopped explaining and got on my bike and rode off.
No damage and the bike was ok too.
It just riles me i pay for the use of that path and still i am not safe.
AAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!

Originally Posted by whuppingboy .

Before i start, i'm not bitter in the slightest.
I was fined for riding on the pavement opposite a cycle path so i decided to go on the cyclepath and some idiot decided to stay hidden round a corner waiting for me to smash head on into him. The cyclepath had lines dividing the path into a two way system and i was on my side only to meet this T**T.
I wasn't speeding but fast enough not to stop in time, i turned my handle bars last second and launched myself at him with my shoulder, i hit him in the chest and throat and wasn't too happy about it.
I went on to explain about basic cycling rules, lanes, sides to be on, he explained 'there was someone on my side of the path!!'
So i stopped explaining and got on my bike and rode off.
No damage and the bike was ok too.
It just riles me i pay for the use of that path and still i am not safe.
AAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!
With other humans using the path, too, how can you be completely safe? Just as there are brainless and thoughtless turds driving cars, there are brainless and thoughtless turds riding bikes. In fact, the percentage of the population made up by such twats is probably similar for both cars and bikes. If I were you I'd be really upset if I didn't at least get a cool scar out of the event.

I have a sore shoulder, neck and side and have cuts to my hand and forearm. The bloke couldn't breath for a while as i hit his windpipe.(no sympathy whatsoever).

LOL
Maybe he ought to remove his bloody massive DJ headphones and pay attention to the road next time, just maybe......

Originally Posted by whuppingboy .

I have a sore shoulder, neck and side and have cuts to my hand and forearm. The bloke couldn't breath for a while as i hit his windpipe.(no sympathy whatsoever).

LOL
Maybe he ought to remove his bloody massive DJ headphones and pay attention to the road next time, just maybe......
Obviously DJ headphones complete the riding experience.