your ride

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by TomXCT, Aug 17, 2003.

1. TomXCT

TomXCT New Member

Anyone got pictures of their bike? post them up

Tags:

2. Desolas

Desolas New Member

I'm rolling pretty ghetto these days since my Trek got stolen. I bought this the day it was taken while I was on vacation, got it at a Fred Meyer, and other than some minor rear hub issues it has actually been just as much fun as my old bike.

[​IMG]

The front shocks blow, my old bike was a hard tail so I don't know what to compare it to but it is way nicer than riding a hard tail (IMO) so my only real complaint is the front shocks aren't nearly as good as what my old bike had ... I paid $150 for the bike ... and bought a $160 rear hub. :) So far I'm pondering if I'm ever going to buy a new bike unless something major happens as I'm really happy with it, so it doesn't bother me when guys on real bikes laugh at me. I'm 270lbs and I've done dozens of 3-4 ft drops on it and it hasn't collapsed yet.

3. ireman_1

ireman_1 New Member

My newest baby: An '03 Heckler. Santa Cruz can do no wrong in my opionion.

Desolas:
    I too am one of the larger bikers out there (6'3", 270lbs) and I know what will take what. If it's out there there is a good chance I have tried it and destroyed it. That's why I ride Marzocchi Z1 QR 20, Sun/Ringle rims, XT cranks and rear hub, easton components. 3 to 4 foot drops on the Freddies bike? Cool, I guess. Since you shop at Freddies you and I should be pretty much local to each other. We can go to Willamette Pass, Ski Bowl, or Cougar Mountain and get crazy. One of favorite rides, Hardesty Mountain, has a few spots to let loose on. Why would you pay $160 for a rear hub on a $150 bike? Doesn't make sense bro, doesn't make sense. Have fun on it.

K.

4. Desolas

Desolas New Member

The thought being the day I do buy a nicer bike I will have the components to move from the cheap bike to it. Or I'll end up only having to buy a new frame and I will have the rest, etc, etc.

5. maxbuwaya

maxbuwaya New Member

6. ireman_1

ireman_1 New Member

Desolas,
    Done that before. I don't live like a King so I know how it is to save for things you want. We should go ride though. We are hitting Willamette Pass this Sunday. Just a couple of us, but it should still be a good time!

K.

7. BWDOWN

BWDOWN New Member

8. sirknight6

sirknight6 New Member

Mines an Iron Horse SGS Expert. I love the bike!!!

9. psycho-

psycho- New Member

Not a great setup like you guys. I don't have the Cha-Ching for the bling blings

[​IMG]
    My baby!

2002 Cannondale Jekyll 500 w/ these upgrades:
    XT derailleurs
    Kore Easton EA-70 handlebar
    ODI grips
    ISIS Spline bottom bracket
    ISIS splined Truvativ Stylo Team crank
    Shimano M545 pedals

and I just purchased the following while I'm overseas, so I have to wait to install these when I get home:

Thompson Elite seatpost
    Kore Elite Headshok Stem
    Avid SD Titanium levers
    Avid Mechanical Disc brakes 203mm (i'm not a small person.)
    Avid Flak Jacket cables

New Wheelset- Mavic X3.1 UST disc rims, with WTB mutano raptor UST tires, DT spokes, and XT disc hubs.

The rear hub has been retrofitted with the XTR freehub/axle and cassette cog. XTR rear 9 speed cassette.

Yah, it's not bad, but it's not super great like you guys. You guys have killers, mine is mere mortal of a bike among a group of truly great bikes

10. 4900Rockpock

4900Rockpock New Member

This is the bike that i have succesfully saved up for, considering i'm only fourteen, mind you when i get it it's going to have disc brakes. i despise the color scheme though, i hope i can find another one

[​IMG]

Here is the bike that i cannot afford, ever, and that i wish i could even just, touch

www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2003/mountain/dieselfreeride.jsp[/IMG]

and now finally, here is an online photograph of my ghetto ride, mind you again, my bike is blue where the black is, red where the red is, and yellow where the silver is, be sure to imagine duct-tape and electrical tape in various spots all over, chipped paint, a tattered seat, bent handlebares, bent rims, unlubed brake cables cuz i haven't gotten around to it, loose cranks, and the whimpiest shocks in the universe, something like 5 inches i think.

Hell ya, that's my ride

http://www.fujibikes.com/mountain/b...,133,134,135,136,137,138&myArrayID=18&yr=2004[​IMG]

11. DG55

DG55 New Member

12. trek930

trek930 New Member

for psycho of la jolla... hey psych, whereabouts in lj are you at? loved that place and am wondering how things are. used to work a good many years at the village (now based in manila and about to move to malaysia) and am looking forward to finally getting back to the land of the torry pines.

sorry for going off a bit. i have a battle scarred 10 year old trek 930 that i've lugged and ridden just about everywhere- 3 states and 4 asian countries- under every conceivable road and weather condition. i use it to commute, averaging about 250 km a week. except for the cables and brake pads and tires, everything on the bike's still original... shimano stx's, rock shox quadras, brackets all work fine. not a pretty face, but then again the least i need is to worry about wanting eyes.

13. psycho-

psycho- New Member

Hey, i live in the UTC area, as I'm a UCSD grad student. I've lived here for a good few years already. I'm a few feet from the Rose canyon trail, which connects to the Marion Bear Canyon open space. It's good for a quick afternoon ride. Of course, I still take my bike out to different places around San Diego.

But, in any case, what is the village? What do you guys do?

14. cotty

cotty New Member

Sorry, only pic I have. Same except for saddle and EB pedals.

15. devon inbred

devon inbred New Member

currenly i ride an on-one inbred and a dawes edge one ss bike

16. mojorisin

mojorisin New Member

I ride a 1995 Kona lava dome(dont laugh to hard) The only thing left that is 1995 is the chromoly frame. It was a solid fork and that was gone instantly and replaced with a rock shock and threadless headset. Ive been happy with it so far. Since then I have totally rebuilt it, and finally uprgaded to 9 speed, with a nice handbuilt wheel set with DT hugi hubs(unbelievable difference). I cant tell you how much to spend on wheels but its worth it to go for the extra. Im still running v pull brakes, it came with cantilever. The only other thing I want to do is get a top of the line crank. Im on my 3rd bottom bracket. Its a shame bike parts are so expensive.

17. MidBunchLurker

MidBunchLurker New Member

ditto, mojorisin. I also ride an old Kona, 1994 Cindercone in my case. It's on its third set of shocks, 2nd (soon to be 3rd) set of wheels, etc. That frame just keeps on going though!

http://www.nickcoyne.com/cape-epic/bikes.asp

18. Duckwah

Duckwah New Member

I ride a Giant AC2 which i have had for over two months now and only ridden twice :mad:

i blew the rear shock on the first ride because the LBS would not believe me when i said was heavy and would need stiffer springs!!!

so one warranty shock and heavier springs later i'm not able to ride it for a couple more weeks due to work :(

*sigh* anyway i'm looking forward to taking it out over some rough stuff at the ski fields over summer

19. Luppy

Luppy New Member

Here's my new Hardrock Comp. Just added a Deore FD, new pedals, and a frame mounted mini air pump. No big buck bike here, but it enables me to play in the woods like I did when I was a kid. :)

20. uDi

uDi New Member

lookin' good man. Now go out and get it dirty like you used to when you were a kid, it is far too clean :p